What's new

Speaking of LV...

Has anyone compared Pinaud LV with some other brands, like Master's Lilac Vegetol? I know that there are at least these two varieties out there, but wonder if anyone has tried them both and can compare them for us.

IF not, I might just have to take one for the team...:tongue_sm

Has anyone compared Pinaud LV with some other brands, like Master's Lilac Vegetol? I know that there are at least these two varieties out there, but wonder if anyone has tried them both and can compare them for us.

take one, take one! Master smells better. Incidentally, Master & Pinaud spell the word Veget*l differently - but I'm not sure which is which.

and for you lovers of all things vintage (LOATVs) out there:

proxy.php

I'd be interested in someone who made a version that smelled like Pinaud but without the evil Yellow #5 I'm allergic to.

A little late to the party, but for future reference...

I recently got a bottle of Masters Lilac Vegetol from Atlanta Barber Supply. It smells nothing whatsoever like Pinaud LV. To my nose, Pinaud is far more complex, with the lilac scent taking a back seat. Masters is mostly fresh-cut lilac scent right up front. It disappears almost entirely within an hour or two, while Pinaud will subtly make itself known in the shower the next morning.

They're both going to stay in the rotation, but they're apples and oranges.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A little late to the party, but for future reference...

I recently got a bottle of Masters Lilac Vegetol from Atlanta Barber Supply. It smells nothing whatsoever like Pinaud LV. To my nose, Pinaud is far more complex, with the lilac scent taking a back seat. Masters is mostly fresh-cut lilac scent right up front. It disappears almost entirely within an hour or two, while Pinaud will subtly make itself known in the shower the next morning.

They're both going to stay in the rotation, but they're apples and oranges.

I agree with you about the apples and oranges.
For me, the Masters is just too "sweet" smelling.
Masters is like walking into a house that has been sprayed with Lilac Air Freshener, while LV is like walking into a grove of Lilac Bushes.
(I know the inevitable comments will be posted about what has been left behind at the base of those bushes by the local cat population) :lol:

I agree with you about the apples and oranges.
For me, the Masters is just too "sweet" smelling.
Masters is like walking into a house that has been sprayed with Lilac Air Freshener, while LV is like walking into a grove of Lilac Bushes.
(I know the inevitable comments will be posted about what has been left behind at the base of those bushes by the local cat population) :lol:

hahahha

Phil, this is too much!

seriously - your analogy is 180 from my perception! Too me, Master smells authentic lilac, Pinaud smells... unreal.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
hahahha

Phil, this is too much!

seriously - your analogy is 180 from my perception! Too me, Master smells authentic lilac, Pinaud smells... unreal.

Yep, that's why I said "for me".
I know some folks like the Masters, and I'm happy that they found something they like. No worries at all for me.
I'm not one of those guys that say I like this - you must, or I hate this - you must.

Life, in general, is YMMV

To be fair, the air freshener thing isn't absolutely what I mean, but I was trying to get the description down to the point that I feel like the Masters is Lilac Isolated, while the LV is like the experience of the Lilac, and the grass, and the earth.

Last edited:
Yep, that's why I said "for me".
I know some folks like the Masters, and I'm happy that they found something they like. No worries at all for me.
I'm not one of those guys that say I like this - you must, or I hate this - you must.

Life, in general, is YMMV

To be fair, the air freshener thing isn't absolutely what I mean, but I was trying to get the description down to the point that I feel like the Masters is Lilac Isolated, while the LV is like the experience of the Lilac, and the grass, and the earth.

Life IS grand, isn't it?

I personally enjoy the Master LV. It's sweet without taking that additional step into feminine. The earthy vegetol grounds it well.

I find it lasts 3-4 hours with a nice presence ( without being 'loud' ), and falls off from there to a soft and close presence for a few more hours.

I haven't tried the Pinaud LV ... yet, but it is on the radar.

I bought some Master's Topaz and Lilac Vegetol, expecting to really like the Topaz. I ended up liking the LV better than the Topaz! For one thing, it lasts longer, at least on me. I've worn the Pinaud LV years ago, and prefer the Master's scent. Sorry guys.

Top Bottom