What's new

Eclipse Red Ring

Whomever got that one on Ebay UK today for $168, congrats. You beat me by $18. I'm so depressed right now... I want this razor so bad. Grrrr. :crying:

How would one go about doing that?

I was wondering that too. Even I, as bad as I want this razor, wasn't going to pay anymore than $150 for it. Buyer got it for $168 and some change so I think there's no profit to be made off of it at this price. Granted people may think the razor isn't worth $50 but it all comes down to what it's worth to you.. and to me, I'd pay $150, reluctantly, but no more than that. I was even more shocked to see a Darwin go for $450 the same day. Guess the folks with money were hanging out on Ebay that day.

Hi,

Mr Glynn of www.safetyrazors.co.uk has an Eclipse Red Ring razor here:

http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=344&idcategory=7

The price is 65 GBP (ca 90 US dollars).

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Aside from the fact that there's no "Buy" button on it, it's not in the original case and the head cap isn't original or if it is, it's a later model because it doesn't have the magnet and lightening bolts stamped on the it. Thanks for the info though. I very much appreciate you remembering me!

Last edited:
Aside from the fact that there's no "Buy" button on it, it's not in the original case and the head cap isn't original or if it is, it's a later model because it doesn't have the magnet and lightening bolts stamped on the it. Thanks for the info though. I very much appreciate you remember me!

I have one the same as that, no logo on the head but it's very much original and has the magnet on the end. I don't know why it's so highly praised as the shave doesn't seem that good, this last week I was comparing it to a Rocket HD using the same blade on alternate days. Going for the 4th shave with one Gillette green 7 o'clock blade it was terrible and many cuts on the first pass so I put the blade in the Rocket HD and it shaved fine. The Red Ring seems very rough shave even on a fresh blade and compared to other open comb, I don't know why. That's my 2c anyway.

Hi Guys,
It's actually the earlier models that don't have the 'square within a square' logo stamped on the cap top. It wasn't until around 1935 that the company started to add this.

Original case or not - that actual razor was near mint and went within 2 hours of me adding it to the site.

The Eclipse are fantastic shavers and the fact that they are chrome plated (for a 30s razor) and with the magnet in the handle - way ahead of their time.

Best wishes

Dave

Aside from the fact that there's no "Buy" button on it, it's not in the original case and the head cap isn't original or if it is, it's a later model because it doesn't have the magnet and lightening bolts stamped on the it. Thanks for the info though. I very much appreciate you remember me!

Profit is fine (in fact it's essential) so long as it isn't extortionate. After all, most companies cannot remain in business unless they make a profit.

I for one would much rather a small seller of 'proper' razors and quality shaving products stayed in business by making a few quid than reading that Gillette have made another Billion or so..

I have a business selling shaving products but I'm also a fan, user and collector and hopefully that helps all round - most of my customers seem to think so anyway, I like to try to do things better than some faceless corporate :001_smile

Best wishes

Dave

Let's hope a genuine de fan got it, not someone who wants it to make more profit:thumbdown

Profit is fine (in fact it's essential) so long as it isn't extortionate. After all, most companies cannot remain in business unless they make a profit.

I for one would much rather a small seller of 'proper' razors and quality shaving products stayed in business by making a few quid than reading that Gillette have made another Billion or so..

I have a business selling shaving products but I'm also a fan, user and collector and hopefully that helps all round - most of my customers seem to think so anyway, I like to try to do things better than some faceless corporate :001_smile

Best wishes

Dave

I don't know how much money it takes to live in the UK but the conversion makes that selling price $97.46 US dollars and that's overpriced for a Red Ring without original case, blades and the red ring on the bottom of the handle. Just saying... If you sold it within 2 hours of listing it, congratulations.

It's only overpriced if it sits on there for months without any interest, as I said it went in 2 hours of adding, I also received 5 other enquiries for more - if only I had more.

What anything is worth is what someone is prepared to pay for it. IMHO the Eclipse is at least as good as a #66 or a #15 etc and you wouldn't get one of those for less than £80 these days.

A Darwin just went on Ebay for £310 - to me that's a lot, but I can't say 'overpriced' because someone bought it.

With regards the actual Red Ring in the handle groove, not all Eclipse 'Red Rings' had this - I have a mint one and it never had the painted ring from new.

Best wishes

Dave

I don't know how much money it takes to live in the UK but the conversion makes that selling price $97.46 US dollars and that's overpriced for a Red Ring without original case, blades and the red ring on the bottom of the handle. Just saying... If you sold it within 2 hours of listing it, congratulations.

GentsInstinct,

You actually need a lot of money to live in the UK :001_smile

Gasoline is the equivalent of ca 6.80 US dollars for a US gallons worth !!

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Last edited:

Best wishes

Dave

Every business needs to make a profit (my quote was not about you by the way), i always judge what something is worth by looking at the bst, which is not actually the best as all the prices on there are very fair, when i then look around elsewhere do i realise the price of de/straight razors away from this board is quite a lot higher, anybody will pay what they want for something, and when your selling you want the highest price, razors are a popular collectors item now, and as years roll by the value will increase, and as you said, i would rather razors go to a colector than to someone who will just buy in the hope of making more money, recently i was looking at an item on e bay, a ss with a nice case, a few days later the case was not there, when i sent a message asking how come, the reply was "i am now selling the case seperate, along with around another 10 i seperated from various razors", that to me is just not on, though you cant do nothing about it, apart from avoid this seller, a real collector will sell the whole set, not sell the razor then try to sell the case as a seperate item! this is why we all love the bay:lol:

Top Bottom