What's new

London Cutlery/Fire Check Razor - Worth Keeping?

I posted this on another forum before I found this one and I figured you guys are the experts here so this is where it belongs more than its original site of posting.

This razor was left in the house my wife grew up in, used by the previous owner who was a very old family friend. The blade has been played with , tossed around, etc and the edge is severely cracked (shown, or attempted to be shown, in photo) all the way to the ridge (I don't know what you guys call it, the ridge just after the blade edge, not the spine).

I'm new to straight razors and I'm wondering is there anything to do besides throw it out? Cut it off at the break? Yes, I realize there is a LOT of rust on it as well and I'm hoping I can clean that off and replace the scales, I'm just wondering if the blade is even salvageable to start a restoration project or if I should just toss the darn thing...

Thanks guys!

Original pic, showing point of break:

proxy.php

I decided what the heck, I can attempt what restoration is possible and if it works out then great and if not I'm not out anything, right? Anyway, after about 10 minutes with some 1500 wet/dry this is what she looks like. You can actually see the name in her now. On one side it says "London Cutlery Co. Limited" and on the other side it says "Fire Check Razor Pat. Feb. 18, 1902"

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Can you guys tell me anything about this razor?

Top Bottom