What's new

Alcohol-based AS: good or bad?

This question has probably been asked before... are alcohol-based aftershaves helpful or harmful?

I've heard that the alcohol will act as an antiseptic, which is good, but can also dry out the skin, which is bad. Should I be trying to avoid alcohol-based aftershaves and stick to a balm instead? And also, if I use a moisturizing AS balm or milk, is it then overkill to use a moisturizer after that? (is it possible to moisturize too much?)

For the most part it will depend on your skin type. For sensitive or dry skin you may want to use a balm, otherwise a splash will do fine.

As always YMMV.

People do all kinds of things after a shave. Some even have several applications of different things.

Personally I will sometimes apply a balm and a splash, but I usually just go with a generous alcohol splash. I get fairly immediate feedback on my performance that way.

I have fairly oily skin, so I use alcohol splashes almost exclusively. While it is true that some of them can be harsh, most of them incorporate a whole bunch of ingredients that are good for your skin. If you're worried about drying out your skin, look for a splash that contains glycerin or propylene glycol. Glycerin is best. Most splashes will also contain castor oil and many contain linalool, which are also good for your skin. A few, like Musgo splash, also contain witch hazel.

Having never used a balm, I can't speak to their efficacy, but I think in my particular case, using an alcohol-based splash is something I do which is good for my skin. Not because it is an antiseptic, but because it tightens and tones without leaving my skin overly greasy or tacky.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
YMMV

My skin feels better with a splash that has alcohol. If you listen to Patrick Bateman, he prefers a Balm

I use both. If I'm feeling dry or irritated, I'll use ASB. If not, I'll use an alcohol-based AS. If you find yourself dry, go for the ASB.

I agree with my roommate above :001_rolle

I have an oily skin and balms tend to make my skin "re-oiling" faster than splashes do. I usually use only a splash right after the shave (in the morning) and on the evening a drop or two of balm.

Good. At least, in my experience. I started using balms when it was cooler, and splashes when it got hotter. So it's seasonal for me.

I recall the line from yesteryear - if what you use doesn't sting, you're not a real man.

Having said that, it all depends on your particular face. If alcohol dries you out and leaves you chapped, don't use it. If you like the invigorating sting, and your face doesn't have any ill after effects, use it. Part of the joy of this avocation is the extreme variability from man to man. :001_cool:

I have fairly oily skin, so I use alcohol splashes almost exclusively. While it is true that some of them can be harsh, most of them incorporate a whole bunch of ingredients that are good for your skin. If you're worried about drying out your skin, look for a splash that contains glycerin or propylene glycol. Glycerin is best. Most splashes will also contain castor oil and many contain linalool, which are also good for your skin. A few, like Musgo splash, also contain witch hazel.

Same here, only my skin tends to be dry, so I add a little balm too. Speick is also a brilliant AS, with heaps of skin food stuff in it.

Alcohol is drying for your skin...... if all you put on your skin is alcohol.
Most splashes have a bunch of other skin-healthy goodies in them that should more than make up for a bit of drying.

I use an alcohol splash (usually AV, Skin Bracer, or Barbasol Brisk), let it sit for a couple of minutes, then follow up with Nivea balm. My skin feels great afterwards.

Alcohol is merely a carrier for other ingredients, such as the fragrance, water, glycerin and so on. It also provides some astringent properties as well. Once you splash it on, it quickly evaporates leaving any contents behind. Use a good aftershave and your skin should feel fine.

Alcohol splash 100% of the time.

I do get a dry face if I pat dry my face with towel before application. It goes - cold water rinse - (no pat dry) - and then splash application. This seals, moisturizes, disinfects, and gives a nice shine.

I use my homemade tendskin, let dry, a splash of AV (or something like it) then a little nivia balm. works for me.

Top Bottom