What's new

Alcohol-based AS: good or bad?

If alcohol is a concern, and a balm is undesireable, there are splashes out there that do not contain alcohol. I have a bottle of Lucky Tiger after shave that works very well in this regard.

proxy.php

This question has probably been asked before... are alcohol-based aftershaves helpful or harmful?

I've heard that the alcohol will act as an antiseptic, which is good, but can also dry out the skin, which is bad. Should I be trying to avoid alcohol-based aftershaves and stick to a balm instead? And also, if I use a moisturizing AS balm or milk, is it then overkill to use a moisturizer after that? (is it possible to moisturize too much?)

I find that the alcohol burns my skin. I have pretty naturally red cheeks, and alcohol-based AS makes it look like I've been drinking beers in the sun all day long.:mad1:

I have been using the Pre de Provence aftershave balm. I also use alcohol-free witch hazel right afterward, too. Its done wonders for the redness and also is very moisturizing. I also have given up on any menthol/peppermint creams/soaps, too. I had been a pretty steady Proraso user, but I went back once, during a hot day, and I had a burn down my neck for a few hours afterward.

Top Bottom