What's new

Islay Malts

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Gentlemen, in the last month I have had the chance to sample 2 different Islay Single malts. Caol Ila 12 year, and Laphroaig 10 Year. This has been my first exposure to Islays and I have to say I'm hooked. In the past when I have indulged on a whiskey it has always been an american variety, with the occasional Rusty Nail made with JW Black thrown in for good measure.

What other Islays can you recommend that will be similar to Laphroaig and Caol Ila?

Well, there's the venerable Lagavulin 16 yo.

Also Laphroiag Quarter Cask is good. Better than the 10 yo IMHO.

Lot of people like Ardbeg.... I think it's so-so.

Also, don't limit yourself to Islays. Try a Speyside like The Macallan, and an Island whisky like Highland Park (superb) or Talisker.

Last edited:
Well, there's the venerable Lagavulin 16 yo.

Also Laphroiag Quarter Cask is good. Better than the 10 yo IMHO.

Lot of people like Ardbeg.... I think it's so-so.

Also, don't limit yourself to Islays. Try a Speyside like The Macallan, and an Island whisky like Highland Park (superb) or Talisker.

What he ^ said

I'm in a similar situation to yourself... I have come to enjoy the Islay malts!..

I love the in your face smokiness of the Ardbeg... But my fav thus far, is the Langavulin 16 and the Laphroiag 10

Though primarily a highland guy, I do have a couple of Islays. The ubiquitous Lagavulin has already been mentioned as well as the Laphroig (both super smoky). I have a bottle of the Laphroig Quarter Cask that I received as a gift, and it is delicious! Plus it came with a square foot of land in Scotland!

Islay my favorite Whiskys

Ardbeg 10
Lagavulin Distillers Choice

Both are a great example of Islay

Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible is a great book to have for all Whiskeys
Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch is another excellent book.

BTW, One food that is a great accompaniment to the smokey Islays is good-quality chocolate covered almonds. Great way to add unnecessary calories.:001_smile

Mmmmm....smokey, peaty, salty malts. Love 'em in the winter. The younger Talisker, Bruichladdich and Bowmore bottlings are good introductions to the genre which won't break the bank. Their older siblings can be quite distinguished as well.

The Quarter Cask is everything good about the 10 and amplified.

Ardbeg 10 is a smoky one, and quite good. I'm a fan.

You can not forget two other distilleries, Bruichladdich, and Bunnahabhain.

Jim McEwan is the Magician of Malt, the Master of the Hops - what he doesn't know about Scotch isn't worth knowing. And Jim is at Bruichladdich. Their 3D variety is outstanding. Quite possibly the best dram I ever had.

Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin are the long established distilleries on Islay. There is at least one more that started up recently but I forget the name.

Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Caol Ila are all distilleries producing great whiskies. I find Ardbeg to be a bit over peated for my taste and I'm still waiting to try 'The Laddie'.

Welcome to Islay whiskies. May you live to be buried in a coffin made from the wood of the tree planted yesterday.

Last edited:
I'm an Ardbeg man myself.

Just a note: There are two Islay malts that are currently in production who's main profiles are not typically the heavily peated variety that is associated with Islay malt. They are Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain. While Bruichladdich does have a few peated varieties in it's portfolio (such as the 3D) it's typically very low peating, like the Bunnahabhain.

Lastly, there's also a very little known distillery that's only recently been opened on Islay called Kilchoman. But because they're so new, I think the oldest whiskies they have available is literally 3-4 years old.

--Dennis

I'm an Ardbeg man myself.

Just a note: There are two Islay malts that are currently in production who's main profiles are not typically the heavily peated variety that is associated with Islay malt. They are Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain. While Bruichladdich does have a few peated varieties in it's portfolio (such as the 3D) it's typically very low peating, like the Bunnahabhain.

Lastly, there's also a very little known distillery that's only recently been opened on Islay called Kilchoman. But because they're so new, I think the oldest whiskies they have available is literally 3-4 years old.

--Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. I couldn't remember the name. I think Bruichladdich resurrected the Port Charlotte name, and wasn't there talk of another distilleru - Kildalton?

BTW, I have heard good things about the old Port Ellen distillery, but it has since long closed and not sure if any is being released.

Just bought a bottle of Bunnahabhain (sp?) this evening and had a dram - inspired by his thread and had just run out of Macallan. It is indeed less peaty than other Islays. I got started on Islay and other peaty varieties (Laphroiag, Talisker), which I think I liked better at first because the flavors present something other than alcohol-taste, but now I am coming to appreciate the less-peaty varieties more and more.

I like the heavily peated, phenolic whiskies in colder weather, but favor the lighter character Islays in the summertime. July is a Caol Ila month.

Another favorite of mine is the Talisker 18. It is an Island, not Islay, single malt. My favorite Speyside is the cask strength Aberlour A'Bunadh. And if it's affordable you're looking for try Jura Superstition.

Top Bottom