What's new

Disappointing shave day

I am about 1 month into my new hobby of DE wet shaving and can honestly say I really look forward to my morning shaves. Up to this point I had been using Personnas in my EJ DE89L razor, with TOBS Lavender cream and Thayers Witch Hazel as AS. All of it worked wonderfully well and I was really getting very close to that BBS shave with each weeks improvement in technique.

However, this morning I loaded up a Crystal blade from my WCS sample pack and went about the rest of my normal prep and routine. That blade seemed to chew me up. My neck and cheeks burn a bit and I had a couple blood spots, which I never experienced before with my Personnas. Since I didn't change anything else, I am guessing that the blade is either just wrong for my skin, or that it may have been a bad blade?

I am going to give it a second chance tomorrow, but am a bit hesitant considering today's results and am considering loading up a Personna again.

I have heard a lot of good things about Personnas, but Ive heard mixed reviews about the Crystals. I myself cant comment on it because it was the first blade I ever used, and I havent revisited it since.

Don't be to quick to judge a blade. It can take a number of shaves to adjust to some blades. If, however, it continues to "chew" you up then discard the blade. I would get it another shot at some point down the road in a few months. If it's the same, you know that blade isn't for you.

Don't be to quick to judge a blade. It can take a number of shaves to adjust to some blades. If, however, it continues to "chew" you up then discard the blade. I would get it another shot at some point down the road in a few months. If it's the same, you know that blade isn't for you.

+1. I like both Crystals and Personnas.

I started using Feathers, and also used some rite aid generic ones. I did this without any forums or anything, and just from watching Mantic's videos. I didn't really realize Feather blades were so incredibly sharp and unforgiving compared to some others.

I recently, after shaving with just the two above blades for 5 years, got a sampler pack from WCS, and have found the opposite of what you did (so far). Crystals give me an excellent shave, but the RP personnas don't even seem to cut any wiskers. I've only tried one of the RPs, though, so I plan on giving another one a shot to see if I got a dud blade.

I'd recommend trying the one you've got loaded once more. If it's just as bad or worse, throw it away and try the next one in the pack. If that one also doesn't work, then crystals may just not go well with your razor, or simply work well for you. Also, consider that this blade may use a different shaving angle or pressure than your old blades.

Use what works best for you, but do remember that not every blade in a pack is exactly the same, and some blades have a "wear in" time before they give you the best shave. Then again, don't use blades that make you bleed.

I was using some off brand blades and decided that I should use some Crystals that a friend loaned me. I've heard they're pretty good.

I got nothing but irritation from both blades I tried. I gave both blades 3 days in my razor. The off brands were better.

Either we have the same face. Or it's the EJ + Crystal Blade combo. I also have a 89L. Or, it could be all three things.

Or it could be none of the above. Either way, I had the same experience just last week.

Sorry to hear about your poor shave this morning. I did the same thing two weeks ago. I switched from a Red Israeli to a Derby. Utter devastation. It took three days to get my face back in shape.

I hope tomorrow morning is better for you.

Just tonight I tried the Crystals again in my EJ 89L and the result was the same as the couple of times before. A nick or two, very small, and irritation. I've been using Red Pesonnas and Derby blades with really good results.

Makes ya wonder if the razor and blade combo just isn't good. I have a Blue Tip on the way, maybe the Crystals will work in that particular razor.

I tried the Crystals again this morning with much the same result. My face is hurting and my neck is raw. Never had this experience with the Personnas. I think I am going to throw a Personna back in for a few days and get my face back to normal then give a different blade from the sampler pack a try.

Oh well, different blades for different faces and razors.

Top Bottom