What's new

Why did you start wet-shaving?

Greetings!

Excuse me if there is a thread currently containing the same general purpose (I tried searching for one with no luck):

Why did you start wet-shaving?

My story:

Wet-shaving: I was in 6th grade and had peach fuzz and picked up the first razor in a new box I said (which happened to be one of those gillette good day, or personna twin blade cruddy pivot razors) and cut myself clean, and since i've been hooked.

Traditional wet-shaving: Up until a few months ago I was using a shick quattro and gillete foam shaving cream and a few months ago/now (10th grade) I was linked to a mantic59 video where he was holding a contest by a friend who knew my shaving interest. I happened to win two Vintage Blade shaving creams (herbal citrus and sandalwood) and upon receiving it I proceeded to rip the boxes open and rub some of the cream on with my bare hands and clueless-ly and brushless-ly I ended up frustrated at the lack of quality of this "cream" vs my gillette canned goodie so I read up on it and found this world. And now for me, this world has expanded itself in to two of my bathroom cabinets, and 3 of my desk drawers.

Wetshaving! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I read about wetshaving with a DE at artofmanliness.com. My grandfather use to shave with a DE and a brush and he had a T shaped piece of plastic that was my "razor." He would lather my face and let me scrape it off with that piece of plastic. After reading that article it brought back all of those memories and I knew I had to at least try it. I'm glad I did.

I have always wet shaved, it is just recently that I have taken up DE shaving. The main reason was cost. I had a month or so of silly aquisition disorders, which cost me more than before. Luckily I came to my senses with that nonsense. So now I am enjoying daily DFS at a fraction of the price.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I saw an AD in the toilet after a movie that was promoting shaving oil vs. Canned goo and listed the ingredients...

With wet shaving
I tried an electric shaver but I went back to wet shaving because of the quality of the shave. When I first started shaving it was with wet shaving because that's how my uncle introduced it to me.

With DE shaving
My wet shaving experience used to be with cartridge style razors. Just over 2 months ago I decided to try DE shaving in an effort to improve my appearance. As it happens I haven't had problems with razor bumps since then.

I have wet shaved with a brush and soap/cream for years.

I started playing around with DEs and Bic disposables because my preferred Gillette GII cartridges got to be very hard to find in the local shops and I didn't like any of the 3/4/5 blade razors I'd tried in the past when i got introductory offers.

I was on the search for a better shave with less irritation. For many years I had been wet shaving but with a Gillette Sensor, I was all the time having a lot of irritation on my neck. I was researching on google and got some hit's on DE and decided to give it a go. I was not driven by cost but instead wanted a better shave an so far I can only say I DE has very much over achieved my expectations.

I have always wet shaved - but for a while it was with cartridges and canned goo. The electric never worked for me.

I went back to the basics some time ago because of the results I was getting.

For the past 20-ish years I have mainly used aerosol canned shaving cream with some form of cartridge shaver. I used to have an old spice mug / brush / soap set, but don't remember what ever happened to it. Anyway, Fusion was my razor of late, but the dang refills were so expensive. So I saw the DE blades at Walmart for $1.87/10 and remembered my dad using these when I was a kid. Googled it, bought some equipment, $100 later I'm saving money shaving, right?

I started shaving with my dad's Gillette Slim back in the mid-80s and never had a reason to use anything else.
My sixteen year old also uses grandpa's razor. After all these years and shaves that Gillette is still going strong.
What a testament to quality.

I started wet shaving because I was looking for a cheaper alternative to highly expensive Fusion carts.

Over time the cost become less of an issue, and I have turned shaving into a hobby. :lol::lol:

I started with a 2-blade and eventually worked myself up to the Quattro. With Nivea canned goo there at the end.

My brother was getting married last July (the 11th, which we're nearing) and was researching interesting groomsmen gifts. He came across the article linked above on AoM, and the rest is history.

I've always wet shaved. Originally with canned goo and cartridges, then while I was still living at home my dad found his dad's old brush and we both switched to cartridges with a vintage brush and Wilkinson sword blue soap. When I moved out I picked up an omega boar brush and stuck with the wilkinson soap. Eventually from an article on Lifehacker I saw DE razors and was impressed by the hardware, that led me here and after a gorge on soaps, creams etc. I havn't spent a dime on shaving supplies in over a year, and I'm still set for around another year (although I may stock up on personas before they go bust).

To save money. :w00t::lol::laugh::w00t::001_rolle:lol::blink:

My wife bought me some VDH shave soap not realizing you need a brush and all so I bought a brush and tried to look up how to make a good lather online. Found B&B and here I am, now actually enjoying shaving.

Ditto on the "Art of Manliness" introduction to a DE. At the same time I read the article there, I had been getting fed up with the irritation and razor burn I had been getting form a Mach3. The article said DEs fixed razor burn and, boy howdy, it has. I'll never go back. Still not sure what to do with a brand new can of barbasol foam I have. :blush:

It is odd, shaving used to be a chore, even though it didn't take very long to do. Now it takes 4 times as long (at least) and I can't wait to do it every day. It is the best "me time" I have.

Because I was tired of getting red bumps on my neck.
The Mach 3 was no good. The Sensor was quite good, especially the blade it come with. Fantastic first blade! But afterwards, the replacement cartridges were not as good.
I kept getting red bumps on my neck. I then found out B&B :thumbup1:
I read about using one blade. I tried a one blade BIC on my neck area and it was much better!! I then tried a Willkinson plastic DE, and the next obvious step was to try a proper DE.
Now, I'm hooked!
At some point I figured that I will be better off buying DE blades. Far less expensive than Sensor carts!! Never mind Mach3 or Fusion carts!
I though I might save money in the process. But it figured that those are just lies :lol:
Anyway.. I really look forward for the next shaves. So much things to try out. So nice products. Great, smooth shaves.

Top Bottom