What's new

Men's hair product opinions needed, please

I have shorter thick straight hair. I'm trying to decide between 4 products -

Aveda Men's Grooming Clay
KMS Hair Play Molding Paste
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shaping Cream
American Crew Fiber

Any input would be appreciated :001_smile

I've used American Crew Fiber, and its pretty good. Smells good, and provides a lot of hold without the least bit of feeling greasy or making my hair look shiny.

As a rule of thumb, though, I don't use products in my hair beyond shampoo and conditioner. If I need something extra to hold it in place, that's a sure sign that its time to get a haircut.

I've used American Crew Fiber, and its pretty good. Smells good, and provides a lot of hold without the least bit of feeling greasy or making my hair look shiny.

As a rule of thumb, though, I don't use products in my hair beyond shampoo and conditioner. If I need something extra to hold it in place, that's a sure sign that its time to get a haircut.

Keep em coming, guys!!

I've got short, thick straight hair that often goes quite puffy without product.

I've found clay to be the best product to use as it has sufficient hold with a nice matte look

S

Sam

Other than the KMS, I am looking at the same three products. I have short and thin hair, maybe 1/5 inches on the side, maybe 3/4 inch on top. Scissor cut. Dont want a pieced look, but do need to hold it down.

I use some Sally's Store brand no flank gel for my flat top. A dime size dollop will stand it up all day and all nite.

I use Redken Outplay, a clay that gives good control without being shiny or greasy. Just mix a touch with a little water and it holds all day long. Doesn't have a sissy fragrance, and the jar lasts forever.

I tried American Crew Fiber and didn't like it. Think I'm gonna try the KMS. Will also look at Redken since it's available almost anywhere.

You won't believe this unless you try it. Get some of the new Head and Shoulders Endurance shampoo for men. Don't fool with the 2 in 1, just the straight shampoo. Use a witch hazel hair spray (Aura) if you need to keep it in place. No alcohol, no flaking and it keeps the hair in place to any degree you want it to hold. We get the witch hazel hair spray at Sally's. The shampoo we get at Walmart.

I don't know what is in the shampoo, but I started my wife using it and she is still amazed at how it leaves her hair. Her hair is curly and mine is straight. You literally have to try it to believe it.

Last edited:
I've got short, straight, thick, and pretty wiry hair. I used to use gel, but over the last year have gone to Groom and Clean - it keeps the hair in place so it does not stand up like a brillo pad and keeps the hair nicely hydrated.

I couldn't be happier w/the results. It's really worth a try for around $5.

I have asian hair syndrome [thick and grows straight out].

The only product that I found that works well with my hair is Gatsby's moving rubber. They come in a bunch of different colors but I stick to the pink and grey one [when I can find it].

ive just started to use trumpers eucris for the hair . good hold and scent and not greasy , as favoured by a certain mr bond [what do you mean he's not real]!!!!!!!! the body shop did a wonderful product called slick which is not available in the uk anymore so i changed to brylcreem. american crew is the best for shorter styles as dax and b&w wax tend to rip my hair out as i apply it !!!

Top Bottom