What's new

a good soap for sensitive skin?

Hello, I appreciate if anyone knows of a good soap for sensitive skin. I have been useing the cheep stuff, and it is burning my face. I may not be whiping enough too, but still I can feel the strong detergent. I have seen some asvertised, but before I send for it, I wanted to ask the forum. thanks again

I don't know if Institute Karit extra gentle soap is good for sensitive skin, but it is a great soap. In fact, it is an amazing soap.

proxy.php

You would probably want something with simple ingredients, low on the perfume. I have sensitive skin too and find glycerine soaps irritate the neck by cutting too close.

Best soap for sensitve skin...Cella. Stay with tallow shave soaps if you want lots of protection.

It gets slammed here big time, and it does clog the razor, but IMO Zirh shaving cream does protect the skin the best when shaving - slight menthol and lots of aloe. You won't get a close shave with Zirh, but it will protect your skin beyond imagination. It's a great way to get used to a DE razor without slashing up the face.

In DE technique is EVERYTHING. Practice your technique with Zirh, then go give Cella a try.

Last edited:
You would probably want something with simple ingredients, low on the perfume. I have sensitive skin too and find glycerine soaps irritate the neck by cutting too close.
Low on perfume, yes. Glycerin soaps do not cut close as a rule, nor does any soap. So that advice is not particularly useful.

Best soap for sensitve skin...Cella. Stay with tallow shave soaps if you want lots of protection.
Tallow does not offer protection on its own. There are soaps without tallow which are just as good—just think of nearly every shaving cream out there, and the various veggie soaps. That said, Cella is a good suggestion as it is very low on harmful ingredients.

It gets slammed here big time, and it does clog the razor, but IMO Zirh shaving cream does protect the skin the best when shaving - slight menthol and lots of aloe. You won't get a close shave with Zirh, but it will protect your skin beyond imagination. It's a great way to get used to a DE razor without slashing up the face.
Then Zirh is a bad choice. How on Earth can you judge technique when it clogs the razor and leaves you with stubble? Second, menthol does not protect the skin. Instead it numbs it, i.e. a bad idea for when you're learning to shave. (And even with knowledge of how to shave I still think it is monumentally stupid to shave with anything containing sufficient menthol to trigger the cold receptors in sufficient amounts to begin desensitising the skin.) On top of that it is hideously expensive. In other words: stay away from Zirh, and save the money for a styptic pen and a decent balm. That will be a more worthwhile investment than spending it on overpriced cactus extract.

Instead of going for a soap, you may want to search out a good cream instead of a soap, papi. Creams are easier to lather, eliminating one variable from the shaving process. Suggestions: TOBS, Bodyshop, Musgo Real, Arko, JM Frasers, La Toja. Stay away from traffic accidents like Proraso, Bigelow or Omega: you don't want menthol yet.

Proraso!!
A must for all 'sensitive' skin.

Green Proraso is far from good for sensitive skin. Proraso White, otoh, is good for sensitive skin. So, it is important sometimes to be clear in recommendations.

Institute Carite is a good soap with it's generous shea butter presence.

My choice for soap for sensitive skin would be EJ/Muehle Sea Buckthorn or EJ/Muehle Aloe Vera. Speick stick is also very mild with it's valeriana celtica and lavender.

Low on perfume, yes. Glycerin soaps do not cut close as a rule, nor does any soap. So that advice is not particularly useful.

Tallow does not offer protection on its own. There are soaps without tallow which are just as good—just think of nearly every shaving cream out there, and the various veggie soaps. That said, Cella is a good suggestion as it is very low on harmful ingredients.

Then Zirh is a bad choice. How on Earth can you judge technique when it clogs the razor and leaves you with stubble? Second, menthol does not protect the skin. Instead it numbs it, i.e. a bad idea for when you're learning to shave. (And even with knowledge of how to shave I still think it is monumentally stupid to shave with anything containing sufficient menthol to trigger the cold receptors in sufficient amounts to begin desensitising the skin.) On top of that it is hideously expensive. In other words: stay away from Zirh, and save the money for a styptic pen and a decent balm. That will be a more worthwhile investment than spending it on overpriced cactus extract.

Instead of going for a soap, you may want to search out a good cream instead of a soap, papi. Creams are easier to lather, eliminating one variable from the shaving process. Suggestions: TOBS, Bodyshop, Musgo Real, Arko, JM Frasers, La Toja. Stay away from traffic accidents like Proraso, Bigelow or Omega: you don't want menthol yet.

Wow...having a bad day dude?

Green Proraso is far from good for sensitive skin. Proraso White, is good for sensitive skin. So, it is important sometimes to be clear in recommendations.

This is a great soap. Loaded with Green Tea.. which is a antioxidant and helps sooth redness. This is your "cheap" go to soap. And it will last forever. This is what you looking for , no doubt.

I was going to suggest IK. Very high shea butter - 25%. Very protective, great, simple everyday soap. Other French soaps might work too like Pre de Provence or Provence Sante, but I think IK is what you are looking for.

Hands down try Mama Bears Unscented Glycerin Shave Soap 100% Natural. I just tried it for the first time and it is excellent.:thumbup:

Nothing wrong with my Zirh. As with any shave soap or cream, rinsing your blade is key to a comfortable shave. Nor is Zirh overpriced. I think it doesn't find much favour with DE nostalgists...so what. Is it a soap, is it a cream - I dunno, but it works for me and that's OK. If have it in my rotation and it is indeed very different and unique item to use. My skin looks and feels great afterwards and it performs better than the snooty, overhyped and overpriced new Pens English Fern IMO, but someone may find the new Pens a gift from the gods.

As previous posters mentioned, AoS unscented would be a fine choice. This is an expensive choice IMO, but if it works for you with sensitive skin then it will be worth it. The valobra stick is the kissin' cousin of AoS soaps, lightly scented and would make a great first soap.

Whatever soap works for you, its worth every penny. If it doesn't work for you, then you'll feel you overpaid. You'll have to buy several and you'll be the final judge. Keep it simple and don't spend a lot of money.

Top Bottom