What's new

How many shaves out of a Merkur Super blade?

I changed the blade today for my sixth shave and noticed an improvement. I gather that these blades do not stay sharp for long. I learned a lesson regarding using a dull blade. Thanks.

To each their own, YMMV, whatever blows your hair back, etc, yadda yadda.

I've not used a Merkur blade for the 2nd shave yet. I think I tried 3 or 4, and all were tossed either mid shave or immediately after.

I can use nearly any other brand for 4-5 shaves and then I'll change it before it gets rough, which would work for your finding that changing the blade after 5 shaves was an improvement.

Jim

I can't get more than 2 out of a Merkur. I use Derbys 95% of the time. The Merkurs are fairly mild, but they drag and pull a lot more than the Derbys.

There are many many many other blades out there that are better than a Merkur...

Having said that, If they work for you, then congrats!

I get 4 maybe 5 two pass shaves before the quality drop-off becomes too much. If you perform a 3 pass shave, you are probably looking at 3 days of shaving.

I think Merkur make excellent razors, but I won't use the blades at all. I've tried them a few times in the past, and they are always dull.

I like Bic and the (Indian) Wilkinson Swords, among others.

I love my 38c, but the Merkur blade's bad rep amongst the good folk of this forum have totally put me off of trying the one that came with the razor. Are they really *that* bad? I switch brands frequently, but tend to use Red IPs, NOS Gillette Bleue Extras, and, recently, Astra SPs most often.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I received two packs of Merkur blades as a present by a friend time ago.
They are excellent, but I will never purchase them because they are too expensive compared to other high quality (or even better) blades.
That said, to answer your question, I get three good shaves per blade, essentially the same number I get with most of the blades I use.

They are excellent, but I will never purchase them because they are too expensive compared to other high quality (or even better) blades.
That said, to answer your question, I get three good shaves per blade, essentially the same number I get with most of the blades I use.

Ditto on all accounts

Top Bottom