What's new

At the risk of sounding stupid, but is Potassium Alum used in antiperspirants?

I've been told to stay away from antiperspirants in general and wondered if Alum Block was basically the same thing.

I just copped an organic Verbena deodorant from L'Occitane that is free from Aluminum Salts, Parabens and artificial fragrances. I must say I feel a lot better about putting this on my skin.

From the Shavex blocks info, I believe they're all potassium alum. It's naturally occurring minerals, so I wouldn't worry too much. It just acts as an astringent, so your other alternative is witch hazel.

I've been told to stay away from antiperspirants in general and wondered if Alum Block was basically the same thing.

No, it's not. Most anti-perspirants use aluminum chlorohydrate, which is inorganic, as the active ingredient to block the sweat ducts. Potassium alum is a naturally occuring organic mineral salt. It can also be used as a deodorant (along with the more commonly used ammonium alum) since it kills bacteria on the surface of the skin. It does not do anything about perspiration. The worst side effect I've heard of with potassium alum is mild skin irritation and that's rare.

No, it's not. Most anti-perspirants use aluminum chlorohydrate, which is inorganic, as the active ingredient to block the sweat ducts. Potassium alum is a naturally occuring organic mineral salt. It can also be used as a deodorant (along with the more commonly used ammonium alum) since it kills bacteria on the surface of the skin. It does not do anything about perspiration. The worst side effect I've heard of with potassium alum is mild skin irritation and that's rare.

+1. Alum block will help you to stink less (kills odor causing bacteria), but you will still sweat therefore, it is a deo, not anti-persp.

I think these are made from natural mineral salts. I am not sure if they are the same as alum, but would not be surprised if they are similar. By the way, these work really well if you are looking for a non-chemical alternative. My wife uses these as she is allergic to many scents and their unscented is just plain.

Last edited:
It appears that the "deodorant rocks" are just alum blocks, if that helps anything.

Yes. Tho the deo blocks are usually ammonium alum not the potassium alum of shave blocks. But, basically the same thing and both can serve the same purposes.

BTW, there SUSE Gecko guy, we have a linux social group round here "the shaved penguins" as well as an epic linux thread "linux mint." You're welcome to join in both.

Top Bottom