What's new

First Impressions of the Parker SR1 Straight

There seems to be a dark cloud that hangs over the shavette style straights here on the B&B. For me I don't have the time to maintain a "real" straight and don't really want to bother with it. I shave with a slant normally so I wanted something that could straighten out my sideburns. So I opted for a Parker SR1 shavette on a recommendation from a B&B member.

All in all, it wasn't that bad. The build quality is ok and it has a little heft to it so it's not too light. At the sub $20 price point it's fine by me. Loading a blade was a snap, simply line up the blade on the 2 pins and lock the top & bottom together. Some Shark blades came with it so I gave those a try. I haven't used them before.

I lathered up & proceeded to wield my straight for the first time. Hmm, turns out doing my sideburns was pretty tough considering I was blocking my view of myself in the mirror. :) Anyway, I was able to do a slow first pass without too much trouble. Under the nose was tricky & I dug the blade in once there. I did a second pass sort of XTG & ATG on my neck. That turned out better than I expected. A few nicks here and there but not that bad. After all was said and done in most places it was DFS bordering on BBS. There was definitely more burn than normal when I splashed with water & then with some Booster's Polar Ice. Once I get my technique down I think I'm going to have a hard time not picking this thing up in the morning.

My hair is moderately coarse and I usually shave every other day. The shavette does allow me to practice wielding a straight and training my hands. So for that, I would say it's a cheap way to get introduced to straights. If you're interested I would say give it a try.

I just finished my second shave with the SR1 and I did a number on myself for sure :) I still stand by my initial impressions, but next time I'll be going slower & I think I only need 2 passes with this thing. I got a little to aggressive with some angles I should not have tried. Live and learn.

I have a Parker Shavette as well. Out of the shavette's that take a 1/2 DE blade, it is in my opinion the best on the market, and vastly superior to the chintzy design of the Dovo Shavette. It has a fair amount of weight behind it, especially compared with the extremely lightweight Dovo.

It does have a fairly large learning curve to learn how to use properly. Watch some videos on Youtube about how to properly shave your upper lip with a straight razor, it can be quite tricky.

If you decide you like shaving with the Parker, and have some funds to play around with the Feather Artist Club/ Kai Captain are a major step up from the Parker, and shave more like an actual straight.

Probably later on down the line I'll look into the Feather Artist Club. It does seem to have a fond following. Thanks for the tip on the upper lip. I'll take a look at some videos.

I've been using the Parkers for some time now. I started with the SRW, and then got the SRB and that SR1. I find them to be excellent shavers. I started with straights with the Feather AC RG, I liked it and did what Feather wants you to do, and bought the DX and then the non folding DX. I've recently purchased both the Kai folding and non-folding razors.

I too don't want the bother of upkeep on a regular straight, and use the above mentioned razors for my straights. Yes, the learning curve was a bit steep, but now I have my technique down and get really nice shaves from these "disposable blade" open blade razors. I'd recommend any of these razors to anyone who also doesn't want the bother or upkeep of a regular straight. Once you get your technique down you are for sure shaving with a straight razor, just a different model or type. :thumbup1:

I too have an SR1. I picked it up recently, primarily for trimming around the mustache, sideburns and hairline on the back of the neck. My standard daily shave is with a DE. I have had a Solingen razor for years that I occasionally use, but I picked up the SR1 recently for several reasons:

1) No worries about honing and/or stropping
2) **You can control/vary the sharpness and smoothness by swapping blades just like a DE. Start with a Shark SC, and progress your way up to a Feather!
3) You can use the same brand blades you favor and use in your DE! (simply snap them in half.)
4) You can "practice" your technique/contortions without a blade.
5) Inexpensive.

While the purists amongst the Str8 shavers may frown on the SR1, I think it is a great, economical way to experiment with Str8s without breaking the bank and allowing the shaver to use the same blades they're already comfortable with.

I purchased one of these (amazon) last weekend ~ be here in a day or so, but i thought I'd share this "review" i read on the SR1 --- made me laugh

Via amazon:
After the first stroke, blood streaming down the side of my face, I considered my technique could use a little work. Maybe it was the angle. I decided to try the other cheek. Now with blood streaming down both sides of my face, I thought maybe, just maybe, I ought to try under the chin. Bleeding from three places now, I had to find a towel. Looking at myself in the mirror and bearing too close a resemblance to Carry, I taped gauze pads to the slices in my cheeks and retired for the evening.

I'll stick with conventional razors.

I purchased one of these (amazon) last weekend ~ be here in a day or so, but i thought I'd share this "review" i read on the SR1 --- made me laugh:

I like it that the title of his review was, "Why, God? Why?!"

Well, at least he still gave it three-stars and didn't blame the tool.

I ordered one yesterday as well. There was some discrepancy in the reviews as to whether the handle is plastic or metal.

Anyone here care to clarify? (this is the SR1 I'm talking about.) Also, I think the Arabic is kind of cool. As long as it doesn't say "Death to America!" (which I doubt) why would I get all uppity about a foreign product having foreign writing on it? I don't know.

I ordered one yesterday as well. There was some discrepancy in the reviews as to whether the handle is plastic or metal.

Looks plastic to me, but that's probably not a bad thing. From reading reviews, the Wapienica straight (a real straight, not a shavette) has stainless scales and almost always has to be re-scaled because they're just too heavy. I guess you don't see metal scales much for a reason.

I wonder if the Parker could have its scales removed and be re-scaled like a normal straight...wouldn't it be neat to have a horn-scaled shavette? :laugh:

I'm starting to think about one of these...I've been considering straight shaving, but I travel a decent amount, and the sheer trouble of traveling with a straight is a big put-off. Being able to mail blades ahead of me is nice, and having the selection of DE blades (as opposed to being locked into one vendor, like with the Feather AC) would be a huge advantage. Plus, I know they don't shave like a real straight, but it'd be nice to have something cheap to show myself that I can shave without the safety guard...I just need to be de-sissified! :lol:

Top Bottom