What's new

Jagger closed comb too aggressive for first DE?

O ye men of wisdom: I wanted to check out the DE experience. I had read that the Wieshi was relatively mild but had quality control problems. I bought an Edwin Jagger closed-comb (a.k.a. safety bar or straight edge) and so far I have tried it with Red Personna and Feather blades. Usually when I shave with oil I get more comfort than closeness but so far this razor seems way too aggressive. After eight shaves I still look like I lost a bar fight. I'm as clumsy as the next guy but I seldom cut myself with a pivoted razor, even without oil. Does anybody have experience of the Jagger vs. others? Maybe I picked an aggressive razor and need something milder. The Jagger is well made and I hate to give it up. Is there a milder blade that will do better? Should I bite the bullet and invest in adjustable Merkur or gamble on a Weishi? I ask for comments please from those with relevant experience. Thanks!

Hello,

The EJ cannot be to aggressive, IMHO.

Just do not apply pressure, and the EJ will do the work for you.
Maybe your blade angle is a bit off, but I cannot imagine an EJ to bite your skin off.

Do you insist on oil only?
Maybe a good cream or soap will work miracles!

No need to invest in a Merk or Weishi, they won't make the difference.

Hiya,

A little while back I was able to try one of the newer head EJ models. It's not that I found it too aggressive, but rather I had to pay waaaay too much attention to detail. It was a strange feeling, since the razor itself felt ok on my face. I used two different blades(3 shaves with each blade) and adjusted my technique, but nothing really helped tame the somewhat unforgiving nature to the thing.

Still, it gets mostly excellent reviews, and would seem like a good razor to start with. You won't really know if that fits your face or not, since you have no previous DE razor experience. In the meantime your technique will be getting better, regardless of the razor being used. Heh, eight shaves isn't quite enough for everything to come together, so the razor may very well be fine for you.

Maybe you could try a vintage Gillette next for a comparison.

Martin

Oh, I had a little more to say in the review section back in June.

Last edited:
So far I have found that if you hold the angle a little more parallel with your face, it does a pretty spectacular job. So, if you are shaving strait down from your sideburns, hold the handle more upright. Also, I like Feathers more than Iridiums in this shaver. The opposite is true of my Fatboy. It wants to be more layed down, and likes the Iridium blade better.
Brent.

My first razor was a Merkur Futur, which, from what I've read and from my personal experience, is an extremely aggressive razor even on mild settings. That being said, my first DE shave ever was my best, just because I paid so much attention to detail. If you're careful and heed the advice of the tutorials here, the EJ open comb will be fine on your skin, regardless of whether or not it's very aggressive. That my two cents, at least. YEMV, of course.

I've had great luck with the EJ. Pay attention to the angle you hold it to your face. Once you get that right, it's an effortless and wonderful shaver. I don't find it aggressive the same way a Futur is.

It's proably mostly a technique issue of some kind, but having said that, I would suggest trying a more aggressive razor. Razors that are too mild for me end up giving me a terrible shave with nicks weepers and cuts. I'm not sure why, but I need something that is equal to a Gillette Slim set between a 5 and a 7, and the Jagger just didn't do it for me. That's just my 2 cents

That is what I started with. Turns out my issues were with technique and blades. I insisted on using all the blades in my sampler.

Hi,

I am a month old newbie who also started with the 89L. I am almost completely through trying all my sampler blades and I can say that the blade (along with technique) make a big difference. I would suggest trying a smoother blade like a Derby or 7 O'clock and work on your technique. Then, revisit the sharper Feathers, etc.

Good luck and hang in there, it gets better!

PS - You a hifi nut too based on your moniker? I am...........:).

I'm a 2 month newbie myself, and I've had the opposite experience.

I started with a Parker 82r TTO, got a Lord Tech with a blade sampler, picked up a Feather portable on EBay, got an open comb ball end New at an antique store, and a PIF'd Krona here. I also ended up with a DE89 through a SNAFU with TESC (that they more than made up for - AWESOME customer service)!

The DE89 is the smoothest and easiest to shave with of the bunch. I've had less cuts and more BBS shaves since I've been using it. Maybe my 'technique' :lol: is more suited to the EJ, but I love this thing! I've used Lord blades that came with my sampler in it, so those might have something to do with the great shaves.

I am also a newbie to DE shaving, and I started with the Muhle 89, which (as I understand it) is identical to the EJ except for the handle. The razor seems plenty mild to me - I have cut myself LESS than I used to with my Mach 3 cartridge razor. You might try a different blade; I have been using Derby blades, as reviewers seemed to think they are both sharp and smooth. Also, be sure you are using plenty of lather! I got rid of canned shaving cream several weeks before I switched to a DE, and I found that a thick brush-generated lather made more difference to my shaving than the cartridge vs. DE blade did.

All: Thanks for your thoughtful replies, I am inspired to give the Jagger another shot. I will look through the sampler pack and see whether I have a Derby. Also I will try again with cream and with lather from soap. As the oil usually gives me a milder shave I have assumed it is the safest but maybe not...

Yes I am a hifi nut. I get up every morning and listen to music while I drink my coffee; when enough caffeine has reached the brain I go to shave! Regards, hifigeezer

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried a Derby today with shaving cream (Nancy Boy) and did much better. Tomorrow I'll try it with Wool Fat Shaving Soap.

As a few have said...watch your technique. DOn't know if it is an issue for you, but the Feathers ate me up. Be careful not to apply pressure...allow the blade to do he work as it glides over your skin.

Top Bottom