What's new

Finally taken the plunge + stupid stupid question

Hi there B&B,

I've been lurking for a couple months, using tutorials and generally becoming more educated from your resources, but the time has come where I can't find the answer for the stupidest of questions and so I registered.

My greatest fear of course, is that by registering, I've now turned a little hobby into a full blown obsession. My wife I'm sure will be thrilled.

Anyway, here's what's going on: I've been DE shaving for about two months. Have a decent razor, a sampler pack of blades, which are getting letter markings on their boxes after use, and a couple soaps from Col. Conk & Pirates Cove. I make a decent lather, I don't cut the heck out of my face when I shave, and things are progressing nicely.

Except I'm using a salad bowl from the kitchen as my shaving bowl, and the wife is displeased. So here's my question, which seems so so dumb when I put it to words.

As I look for a new shave bowl on the internet, I want to know if I've been doing this wrong when it comes to making lather. I have the soap separate from the lather bowl. Should I have the puck in the bowl, then make the lather on the side? Do I need two bowls? Do I just keep the soap outside of a container and then lather in a bowl?

Help me out, I haven't seen this covered before, and I'm betting it's because I'm probably thinking about it too much.

Help?

Welcome to the forum! As far as the bowl question, do what works for you. If you puck lather, you may use the soap up a bit quicker than if you face lather or use a separate bowl to build in, but in the end it's not really going to make much difference lather wise. Many face lather, many bowl lather and many puck lather. There is no set in stone RIGHT or WRONG with this IMHO. I do all of the above depending on my mood. SO long as you are getting a good lather, go with whatever method you choose to get there. :thumbup1:

I like the "do whatever works for you" approach Joe mentioned.

When I started using soap/brush, I initially used a bowl (separate from the soap container) to build lather... but over time, moved away from the bowl approach and toward using combination of the palm of hand, and face, to build the lather. I'd recommend trying different ways and see which ones you prefer.

Yup it's up to you.
Some people "load" their brush from a soap in a bowl/container. Then create the lather in a separate bowl.
Some people load the brush from the soap and then create the lather on their face.
Some people create the lather on top of the soap in it's bowl. I'm pretty sure this will use uf the soap a bit quicker and you are swishing around and creating lather on top of the soap whereas in the other two methods you load the brush with the right amount of soap (you'll get to know this over time) and then create the lather elsewhere.

And then there's always the option of shave sticks! (I like this method) :thumbup:

I agree, do whatever works!

I face lather only, and I know there are people on here that load the brush for a full minute before lathering so they have enough for 4+ passes. I just do it for a few seconds before each pass.

Welcome to B&B. You don't have to spend a lot on bowls if you don't want to. You can use old mugs, or bowls from the kitchen. I bought a french onion soup mug/bowl form the dollar store for building lather. I say, do it cheaply until, as others have pointed out, you figure out what works for you. Good luck!

You don't have to spend a wad on a bowl. I would recommend one with some kind of groves or the like on the inside to help making lather.

Welcome to the B&B! By registering, you have indeed reached full blown obsession status! :w00t: looks like you have received plenty of good advice in this thread. Not much left to do, 'cept give the little lady her bowl back, and buy her a Lady Gillette! Obsessions love company! :biggrin1:

There are sticky threads here about making lather. I've read them, and they work. Here is what I do.
My shave mug is a freebie mug with a cake of Williams in the bottom, and puck of VDH on top. I also have a bowl I got at a yard sale. It is a Japanese bowl, with ridges in it.

I put my badger brush in the bowl with hot water. I put a little hot water in the mug with the soap. Then I shower.
Afterward, I remove the brush from the water, and squeeze it dry. I even sling it dry a bit too.
Then I rotate it in the shaving mug (after tossing off the small amount of water in it). After a minute or so, the brush is full of soap.
I then use the brush in the bowl to make lots of lather, which I put on my face.
This will not do the job, it is just a start. After a few minutes, I put on new lather on one half of my face, and start shaving. Shaving from this point on is rinsing with hot water, feeling my face with my fingers, and re-applying lather for another pass.

You can get vastly different lathers on different days, until you get it down.

Look up Mantic59 on youtube, he has a good tutorial on the various methods of creating lather. In fact, if you haven't watched his general shave tutorials, you're probably making at least one crucial mistake somewhere that he'll correct for you!

I have my soap pucks still in their little things and charge my brush on them, then make my lather in a 2 dollar walmart oversized mug. the little soap containers can get slightly messy, but big deal!

Welcome to B&B!

I look forward to your first post lamenting your ADs. :thumbup1:

Whatever works for you is the way to go, but to find out what works for you I would recommend you continue using a separate bowl for lather.

One you have worked out making a good and consistent lather you can try a different container for your soap where you can try puck lathering. I do find that the type of soaps you have can get used up more quickly by puck lathering, although you can get an outstanding lather by doing so.

In between, you can see if face lathering is more suited to you.

I was tempted to buy this:

proxy.php

But then I realized that I prefer face lathering. :001_rolle
(It is quite attractive, though)

Welcome to B&B!

Lather where you like as everyone has said. Cappuccino mug, cereal bowl, etc. My current one is a "Dip bowl" from Target for $3.19 USD.

The only thing I'd recommend is NOT to get anything with a pure white interior. It's slightly harder to see your lather against a white backdrop.......especially in the morning.

Top Bottom