What's new

Blended Scotch Whisky: Sacred or Sacrilegious

Hi All,

Are blended scotch whiskys mediocre or do they hold their own versus single malt scotch whiskys? I am a single malt fan but I tried a couple of blended scotches and to my surprise, I liked them very much. Should I be suprised? What's your take? Single malt or blended?

Last edited:
single malt is the way to go. each batch will be slightly different from the previous. The nice thing about blended is the consistency; however, I'd rather have a variation from time to time.

Hi All,

Are blended scotch whiskys mediocre or do they hold their own versus single malt scotch whiskys? I am a single malt fan but I tried a couple of blended scotches and to my surprise, I liked them very much. Should I be suprised? What's your take? Single malt or blended?

I also like single malts, especially Isle of Jura, Glenfarclas, Springbank and Balvenie, but Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are fine too. 12-year old Chivas is also an excelllent dram, though, as is Johnnie Walker Black. Certainly not mediocre. BTW, in all cases I like mine with a little water (maybe a teaspoon or 2) from the tap with no ice.

Don't get twisted around the axle. Just enjoy the mood. The whiskys are all different, but a number of them are very satisfying.

Horses for courses. If blended whisky could be compared to a finely-balanced perfume, then malt whisky would be a single-note perfume oil, like rose otto. Neither one is "better" than the other, they both have their place.

Hi All,

Are blended scotch whiskys mediocre or do they hold their own versus single malt scotch whiskys?

Do you like kettle cooked potato chips? How about Kraft Cheese? As said by others, single malt allows for a connoisseur to enjoy the variations of each product. Sometimes though, you just want a drink!

Blending whiskey is an art; The mere fact that a whiskey is blended does not, in and of itself, mean the product is of inferior quality. In fact single malt may still be blended from several batches produced at the same distillery; single malt does not equal single batch or single barrel.

I keep several whiskeys on my bar, both blended and single malt varieties, each for different occasions and moods. Enjoy everything in moderation!

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Horses for courses. If blended whisky could be compared to a finely-balanced perfume, then malt whisky would be a single-note perfume oil, like rose otto. Neither one is "better" than the other, they both have their place.

I think I'm with you on this. I think there can be wonderful blends and certainly there are wonderful single notes as well. There is a great deal that could be best used as rubbing alcohol . . . goes well with Coke and Orange Juice.

Hello all

A few of my favourites, (especially at their price point) are blends. Both Famous Grouse, and Black Grouse are blends of more costly scotches. Well worth the try.

All that said however, my very favourite pair, Longmorn and Laphroig are single malts.

In my opinion, single malts are top dog, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a blended whiskey.

Take care guys
Derek

When I used to drink I was more of a fan of single malt but you can certainly get some fine blends. On a business trip to Malaysia, my boss at the time bought a couple of rounds of Johnny Walker Blue and redefined blended whisky.

Last edited:
Blended whisky can be quite good. One of my favorites besides Johnny Walker Blue is MonkeyShoulder. Its very good.

The Scotch drinker who doesn't enjoy blended Scotch Whisky is like the musician who only listens to soloists and doesn't enjoy orchestras. That's a highly butchered Jim Murray quote....

Seriously, blended scotch whisky and single malt whisky each have their own strengths. I think blended whisky tends to have a fuller flavor and usually quite a sampling of flavors. I enjoy "drinking" blends quite a lot. What I mean is that if I am watching TV and want a drink I will often pour a blend into a glass and maybe a little club soda too. If I am feeling like a cigar and a nice pour I will likely pour a single malt into a Glencairn glass and enjoy with a nice book. I also don't compare or sample blends like I do with single malts. Blends also definitely belong in a hip flask....

Current blends on hand: Ballantines 12, Dewars White Label, Bushmills Original

Horses for courses. If anyone want's a mixer in their whisky, they get a blend. It's cheaper and why ruin the subtleties of a single with coke or lemonade?

I've always got a few bottles of blended in as I enjoy a Whisky Mac during the winter, whisky and ginger wine. I wouldn't dream of using a malt!

Also as mentioned above, some of the better blends are excellent in their own right.

I asoo have a couple of "Vatted" malts. They are blends made from only single malts, no grain filler. They are quite cheap and quite interesting!

Gareth

Unless single barrel/single cask is stated, even single malts are blends - just of whisky from the one distillery, which is why the flavour of a single malt can vary from batch to batch (among many other variables). Blends are made up of single malts from various distilleries and may or may not contain grain whisky.

As others have said, if you like the taste and enjoy the drink then drink it! There are plenty of crappy single malts out there, and there are some really good blends. Although I drink single malts 99% of the time, I personally enjoy the Chivas and Jameson blends. Great value for money.

+1 there have been and continue to be blends made to disguise and mitigate inferior products, but many blends are quite good and I prefer them for when I want a cooler drink and have a whiskey on the rocks.

A common problem in comparing blends with single malts is the cost of the whiskies. Does the $30 bottle of Johnny Walker Red compare to the $60 bottle of Lagavulin? No. Many blends are made with a variety of single malts, then further blended with grain whisky to add volume to the mix. As has been said, there is a time and a place for both blends and single malts, however there is NO time for bad whiskey.

+1 very well said!

I drink my blended Scotch on the rocks. So it really depends what I'm in the mood for.

A Johnnie Walker Green or Gold on the rocks is nice before dinner. A nice single malt straight up is good after dinner.

Or I might choose something altogether different. Just like some occasions call for a Cognac. Others for a beer.

It's a matter of taste and mood, but there are some very good blends out there. I just look at the blends as a little more "casual".

Last edited:
What do you like? That's all that matters.

Some blends are truly wonderful, however I find most though to be inferior to Single Malts and I think if you know what to look for, single malts are a better value, at least here in the States.

Last edited:
In my (somewhat limited) experience with single malts and blends, I've found that single malts offer a better value for my taste. For the price of a 12 year Glenlivet or other commonly available single malt, the blends at that price point and availability just aren't there. I've enjoyed the upper-end JW's, but at 28, I don't make enough money to keep a bottle of Blue Label around the house.

I am probably missing out on some reasonably priced blends, but unless they are easily available at a bar, its hard to shell out $50 on a bottle of unknown blended whisky at the liquor store. Plus Virginia ABC isn't known for its variety.

Top Bottom