What's new

Tallow versus vegetable oil based soaps

Some of the great shaving soaps, in particular Mitchell's Wool Fat and I believe the Harris soaps, are tallow based (animal fat). Others, such as T&H Luxury shaving soap, are vegetable oil based. What are some other great vegetable oil based soaps? Also, how do these two types of shaving soaps differ with regard to shaving properties? Thanks very much.

Gold Dachs, sold by classicshaving as Revivage, is my closest cutting soap (or cream, for that matter!), and as I recall, vegetable based. Nice lather, nice lubrication, but I wouldn't call it "protective", at least compared to MWF or Tabac, which are tallow soaps.

L'Occitane Cade is a fantastic vegetable based soap. It's right up there with Tabac in my opinion. Though I haven't tried them, Provence Sante and Pre de Provance have an excellent reputation around here.

Best veggie soaps IMHO are Trumpers. They provide a close and comfortable shave and the scents are second to none.

Tallow offers incredible benefits as an additive to a shaving soap. It is incredibly moisturizing and it creates a lather that you can not duplicate in any other soap besides a tallow soap,.

I is a good oil to use for a shaving soap. remember, soap is oil, water, lye....different oils do different things to you soap... the oil is changable... the water/lye is not.

If one can get past that fact that tallow is not vegetable..... then I offer you one of the best shaving soap ingredients in existance for CP soaping. Gentlemen this recipe has been passed down through millenium... it is nothing new... what is new is finding a soaper who will work with these ingredients.

But Wait... There's More... :biggrin:

There are other oils that can be added to a shaving soap blend that will offer supiorior lather and protection.... it is the perfect blend... we are all searching for it.

L'Occitane Cade is a fantastic vegetable based soap. It's right up there with Tabac in my opinion. Though I haven't tried them, Provence Sante and Pre de Provance have an excellent reputation around here.

I've tried the Pre de Provence and it's one of the most enthusiastically-lathering soaps I have. It was far and away better than the C&E sweet almond oil soap, IMO. (I apologize, I haven't tried any of Mama Bear's yet to compare - I'm trying to use up some of the Col. Conk's that I have first.) the PdP has a nice light scent, too. And it's a huge puck of soap.

Tallow offers incredible benefits as an additive to a shaving soap. It is incredibly moisturizing and it creates a lather that you can not duplicate in any other soap besides a tallow soap

Thanks Sue. There has been so much misinformation put out by people about veg vs. animal oil soaps that it's hard for people to make a good choice. As a little child my mother helped the women of her family "cook soap" as she called it. They had nothing but lard and tallow. She scoffs at anyone who tells her that these soaps would peel their hide or clog their pores. She loves them. Claims they made the gentlest bath bars ever. I would happily pay someone to make or help me make a high % tallow and coconut oil shave soap. Maybe some cocoa butter thrown in for extra stearic and skin conditioning.

I have five French shave soaps. Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, L'occitane, Insitut Karite, and just added today, L'ome from Frenchsoaps.com. All are good but two(so far)really stand out on my beard. Provence Sante and Pre de Provence. The L'occitane is good but it is below Tabac on my hide. Provence Sante is just miraculous. Easily as good as Tabac. It never lets me down. Institut Karite is good too but you have to pay attention to it's lather. When it's good, it's almost like wiping the beard stubble away. It has a scent that couldn't offend a parson. PdP is a joy with that wonderful, clean as spring scent. With the L'ome arriving today it is on the list for tomorrow morning. The "in the box" scent is superb. Reminiscent of my Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shave soap, it is not quite as strong and just a bit less classy. Still, it's darn good. I can't wait to try it. I have seen it speculated that the L'ome product line from Durance is made by the same people who make L'occitane's shave soap. That may be but the scent and shape of the soaps are completely different. The L'occitane is flatter and more saucer shaped. The L'ome has a bit less diameter and is thicker with a more pronounced cone shape on the bottom of the cake. Presentation is in a white ceramic dish. Understated and tasteful. I hope it lives up to it's scent.

Regards, Todd

If one can get past that fact that tallow is not vegetable..... then I offer you one of the best shaving soap ingredients in existance for CP soaping. Gentlemen this recipe has been passed down through millenium... it is nothing new... what is new is finding a soaper who will work with these ingredients.
Sue, are you considering a tallow based soap along the lines of or maybe better than Tabac?

i have no problem with tallow based soap.i made lye soap and variants of it when i was growing up.the animal is dead and it is a shame and disrespectful not to use all of it if possible.

Top Bottom