What's new

24mm Thater or 24mm Saville Row - Silvertip

Silvertip 24mm Thater OR Silvertip 24mm Saville Row

• Thater

• Saville Row

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Money NOT being an option and having the choice between Silvertip 24mm Thater or Silvertip 24mm Saville Row,

Which would you choose and why?

Cheers,
Robert

Considering the current reviews, I'd be surprised if this poll doesn't lean toward Thater. I haven't tried the Saville Row so I'm unfairly biased.

My Savile Row 3124 Silvertip is my favorite among all my brushes. Got to vote for the Savile Row.

Savile Row. I've bought and sold a couple (only due to being slightly too big or small), tried along with various Rooneys (including Heritage) and Simpsons....

I now only have one badger brush - a 3122 (with newer, shorter loft). It is simply fabulous. :tongue_sm

The hair is very, very soft yet there is good backbone. It's dense, but not a lather hog. It applies lather very well indeed - it is given up at just the right rate - not dumped out all at once like a boar, or hogged like most Rooney/Simpsons.

It lathers soaps and creams equally well. The handle is also very comfortable. It gives a nice soft massage without giving your face "carpet burns" like some overly dense and stuff brushes can. It feels as comfortable on the last pass as the first.

Can you tell I like Savile Row? :001_smile

John

Last edited:
This comparison is like Ford vs Mercedes...so I would choose the Thäter. SR is indeed a good brush, but the Thäter is utterly better. And more expensive.

Savile Row. I've bought and sold a couple (only due to being slightly too big or small), tried along with various Rooneys (including Heritage) and Simpsons....

I now only have one badger brush - a 3122 (with newer, shorter loft). It is simply fabulous. :tongue_sm

The hair is very, very soft yet there is good backbone. It's dense, but not a lather hog. It applies lather very well indeed - it is given up at just the right rate - not dumped out all at once like a boar, or hogged like most Rooney/Simpsons.

It lathers soaps and creams equally well. The handle is also very comfortable. It gives a nice soft massage without giving your face "carpet burns" like some overly dense and stuff brushes can. It feels as comfortable on the last pass as the first.

Can you tell I like Savile Row? :001_smile

John

Hi John,
I don't think it is that obvious that you like Saville Row!!:biggrin1::jump:

Yes I do. I viewed this as a desert inland type question which can have many permutations. Only soaps on the inland, only creams, only super lather? For me, if I am only allowed one brush to meet all my shaving requirements, its going to be my Savile Row (3124). In fact I don't want a new one I want the one I have which has bloomed into the brush I reach for the most.

This is my opinion only and isn't intended to slight the Thater in any way. It is a very reasonable priced brush that provides outstanding performance and value. I would encourage everyone to have one in their stable of brushes. But if I have to choose only one its going to be my Savile Row. YMMV.

I have a hard time believing that the Thater isn't a Shavemac with a different stamp on it...

I don't have experience with them, just judging by the pictures. Whereas Savile Row brushes seem unique in their own way, even though I have heard they might be made by Shavemac. Their knots and most handles look unique. (I own a 3824)

Last edited:
I am confident that Thater brushes are not private label from Shavemac. My Shavemac at 26mm is larger than my Thater so it feels different anyway. Seems like I read a thread somewhere that said Thater had occasionally purchased handles at one time from Shavemac but had primarily always manufactured their on brushes, including trying the knots.

Top Bottom