What's new

First Shave With Slim Adjustable

Recently bought a late 60's vintage Slim Adjustable from eBay for around $50 ($CDN) Received it great shape. Worked and "clicked" perfectly. Nice and clean. Loaded a Precision blade, lathered up with Proraso shaving cream with my Silvertip Merkur brush. As per the suggestions here, I started at #3. really not so good. Clicked my way down (or up to #5) and all in all wasn't bad. No nicks but some irritation. After the usual 2 lather-ups and traffic patterns, I am really not so sure where I stand. I was somewhat disappointed. My neck still feels unfinished but really not as nice of shave as my EJ D86.

Should I have cranked it 6 or higher? I have a medium beard but need to shave every day. Is it the blade (Israeli Precision). This has been a great blade in my EJ.

I have read so many good things about the Slim Adjustable being so great but I was left with "less than" results.

I also think that by cranking the razor to a higher number might get me closer shave but not necessarily a comfortable shave.

Any comments? Any suggestions?

Thanks. :confused1

Plantman

I've found that the Slim works best for me, both in terms of closeness and an irritation free shave, when cranked up to "8"...but, as usual, YMMV!

Hey, thanks. What blade are you using?

Mostly the Shark nowadays, but I've had good luck with Gillette 7'Oclock Super Platinum, Feather, ASR Personna, and others.

A couple of things to watch for with the Slim -

The blade isn't locked down when the TTO knob is turned snug. There is an extra quarter turn to go before the blade is in the correct position. This little fact eluded me at first....also, you shouldn't adjust the adjustable mechanism while the blade is locked down. Loosen the silo doors a bit.

A Slim that has been dropped or tapped on the sink might have a bent safety bar, and one side will be a lot more aggressive than the other. If you don't notice this, then don't sweat it, but if this quirk is there you have to bend the bar to correct it.

I have read so many good things about the Slim Adjustable being so great but I was left with "less than" results.
Any comments? Any suggestions?

Assuming the bars are not bent, and it's in good shape, I think you need to shave with it for a week, at least. Judging an adjustable razor on one shave, using 2 settings, is a bit hasty. It might also help to know what you're comparing it to.
-- Chet

Hi there Plantman,

As Chet metioned in the above post, it's important not to jump to conclusions about razors. Sometimes it can take a number of shaves to figure things out when trying a new razor.

A while back, a generous member(thanks Joe) loaned me his newer head DE89L, which I imagine has the same head as your razor. I'd heard great things about that design, but you have to try em all yourself.

I used the razor for six shaves.........using two different blades three times each. I can tell you it's nothing like shaving with a slim. Totally different head design from the Gillettes I use, and it took me some time getting used to. If you have a heavy beard try the slim on #5, otherwise 3-4 is a good starting point.

Give the slim a fair shot before putting it down.

Martin

Last edited:
I used the green 7'Oclock Gillette blades in several superspeeds. I hated that blade. Then I used it in my Slim and it was amazing.

The same thing might happen with your usual blade, although every blade I used in my Slim was amazing. My usual "number" was about 6 or 7. I loved it, but love my Rocket HD just a bit more.

Thanks Gumbyman for the info about the "lock down" setting. I had never heard or read about that in any of my research. I did read about adjusting the tension setting with the doors open though.

I see here that a good shave can be had anywhere from 5 to 8! Obviously different strokes for different folks. I think my expectation was such that I was going to have the perfect shave right from the get-go but as told here, I will have to find the setting thats right for me.

I was almost ready to put it in the drawer after the first shave but having read these posts, I need to give it a week or two and try a couple of different blades. I have some Precisions, Derbys, Feathers and Astras.

I do like the razor itself although it seems a bit unrefined compared to my EJ. That being said I keep reading lots of posts from guys who just love the thing.

Thanks for help.

Awesome.

Thanks Gumbyman for the info about the "lock down" setting. I had never heard or read about that in any of my research. I did read about adjusting the tension setting with the doors open though.

I see here that a good shave can be had anywhere from 5 to 8! Obviously different strokes for different folks. I think my expectation was such that I was going to have the perfect shave right from the get-go but as told here, I will have to find the setting thats right for me.

I was almost ready to put it in the drawer after the first shave but having read these posts, I need to give it a week or two and try a couple of different blades. I have some Precisions, Derbys, Feathers and Astras.

I do like the razor itself although it seems a bit unrefined compared to my EJ. That being said I keep reading lots of posts from guys who just love the thing.

Thanks for help.

Awesome.

If I have a bad shave with a shaving cream the first time I try it, I can be guaranteed that I will LOVE it on shave two. Seriously.

My beloved Rocket was terribly with my favorite blade, a Red IP. Then someone said "use a razor" and I had the shave of my life.

I think that any experienced shaver can get a great shave out of anything, even Williams.

Slims are great razors. I don't hear many people dislike them.

Based on what I've read here, I am certainly looking forward to my Monday morning shave with great anticipation.

In this regard, a little knowledge is NOT a dangerous thing. I surely want to part of the group that love their Slims

Thanks!

I've found that the Slim works best for me, both in terms of closeness and an irritation free shave, when cranked up to "8"...but, as usual, YMMV!

Yep and

Topgumby said:
Mostly the Shark nowadays, but I've had good luck with Gillette 7'Oclock Super Platinum, Feather, ASR Personna, and others.

A couple of things to watch for with the Slim -

The blade isn't locked down when the TTO knob is turned snug. There is an extra quarter turn to go before the blade is in the correct position. This little fact eluded me at first....also, you shouldn't adjust the adjustable mechanism while the blade is locked down. Loosen the silo doors a bit.

A Slim that has been dropped or tapped on the sink might have a bent safety bar, and one side will be a lot more aggressive than the other. If you don't notice this, then don't sweat it, but if this quirk is there you have to bend the bar to correct it.

Yep. Like Topgumby, I shave with mainly Shark SC but my setting never exceeds 5. In fact I have decreased it to 4 just to try and find that sweet spot where the shave is close and the burn is none.

I have 2 slim adjustables. Both look exactly the same however one shaves like an dream, the other, a nightmare. Guess I should label them my Cain & Able?:lol: Thankfully there is a small patch of plate loss on the unforgiving one. The slim is my best shaver although I have recently started using my Black Tip SS and it is delivering some wonderful shaves.:thumbup1:

Master the slim by experimenting with different razor blades and settings. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Based on what I've read here, I am certainly looking forward to my Monday morning shave with great anticipation.

In this regard, a little knowledge is NOT a dangerous thing. I surely want to part of the group that love their Slims

Thanks!

Hi there,

In my case, I really wanted to like the EJ. So many people got great shaves with the new head design, I figured it would probably be the same for me. Unfortunately, I realized after a while that this razor wasn't a good fit, and was glad I didn't purchase one to find that out.

For whatever the reason, the slim works well for me, but the EJ just doesn't suit my face or technique or both. If it turns out the slim doesn't perform as you like, at least you'll have given it a fair shot. Since you've only tried a few razors so far, it may be that you haven't tweaked things enough with the new to you slim. Or, it may turn out the slim just isn't for you.

Hope that helps,

Martin

I prefer my Slim over my Fatboy too. I'm so disappointmented with my Fatboy.

In my case, early in my DE journey, I'd been using a slim and getting excellent shaves for six months. About 2 1/2 years ago I tried a fatboy and never had the desire to use a slim ever again. It was that different of an experience.

I can see how it would work both ways as well, and I'm sorry the fatboy doesn't agree with you.

Martin

I normally open my adjustables all the way up to "9", and then bring them down to about "6" for the final ATG touch up on my upper lip. That's the only area I can get irritation if I don't bring 'er down.

I'm thinking it will work out based on what I've read here. Lots of great tips. I really like my EJ but it can be a bit hard *** some days and i can't figure out why. This is why I wanted the Slim and also want to make it work.

I think the EJ will be the main work horse but if the Slim works out I might change my mind. Tomorrow I'm going to start at 7 and see how it goes, making sure my Precison is blade is properly set and clamped down. I've only had the one shave on that blade so all things being equal and having learned a few things here, I'm excited about what I'm going to get tomorrow.

Thanks!

I normally open my adjustables all the way up to "9", and then bring them down to about "6" for the final ATG touch up on my upper lip. That's the only area I can get irritation if I don't bring 'er down.
I'm going to try this for sure and let you know how it works.

Thanks for the tip!

Set it to 4 and leave it there.

Try it with Barbersol skin conditioner shave cream.

Don't go to town on your neck.

Top Bottom