What's new

Picked up some VDH today.

At Rite Aid.

It was cheap, and it was there. That is all.

Also: this is the first dedicated shave soap I've bought. Thought I'd mention that.

I like vdh. I didn't plan on buying anything else but I had some amazon gift certificates so I tried a couple of the colonel conks glycerine soaps, these are worth trying down the road too.

I haven't shaved with the VDH yet, but I did whip up a small amount of lather real quick with it when I got home just to see how it would work.

I still plan on getting some others as well though, but for now it's a decent place to start. I want to get some D.R. Harris, Tabac, MWF, old-formulation Penhaligon's EF (hopefully), some TGQ, and some stuff my mom is making me.

Last edited:
i have to say that i was pleasantly surprised. i used williams for years because it was cheap and available but i never thought much of it, so i didn't expect much better from a $1.89 puck of soap. i was wrong.

it lathered up thick and cushy...the shave was great and my skin felt terrific afterwards. it truly is the equal of other more expensive soaps. it's staying in the rotation.

:thumbup1:

VDH Deluxe was my first soap, and after going through a couple pucks I have no complaints. I have moved on to Proraso as my soap/cream of choice, but VDH will always be welcome in my cabinet.

I've been using VDH as part of my regular rotation for several years now. It's very good soap, even better when you consider the price!

It's a solid soap and most find it easy to work with. While I prefer other soaps simply because I get better results with them, I'm glad that VDH is available and cheap, because it's certainly "good enough".

I recently bought 2 pucks of VDH to try them out. Took my first shaves with it in the past 2 days. This is a very serviceable soap. Is it the best out there? No, but it gets the job done, and for the price, it can't be beat. I am going to melt one down and add Clubman to it for a change of pace.

I use VDH at least once a week in my rotation. It's a good reliable performer.

Is it the best product out there? No. Do other products smell better? Yes. Is it still one million times better than canned goo? Yes!!! A million times Yes!! :laugh::laugh:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
One nice thing about VDH... if you use a mug, it melts nicely in the microwave and solidifies in a nice layer in the bottom of your mug, for whatever that's worth. VERY nice lathering qualities for a cheap soap.

I prefer to melt my VdH on a candlewarmer. I don't like the superheated microwave version. besides, I no longer own a MW. And it's been a while since I have used any VdH.

I've noticed quite a few posts about VDH. My Rite-Aid carried VDH and my local Wal-Mart carries VDH Deluxe which has shea butter. It seems as though people may be lumping the two together. I have a puck of deluxe but haven't used it yet.

I've noticed quite a few posts about VDH. My Rite-Aid carried VDH and my local Wal-Mart carries VDH Deluxe which has shea butter. It seems as though people may be lumping the two together. I have a puck of deluxe but haven't used it yet.

There are three, actually: Select, Glycerin and Deluxe.

Just picked up a puck myself today on my way home from the barber. I mixed it with Bigelow shave cream. Lathered up nice but I did not notice anything different from Bigelow by itself. I'm still kind of new at all this and have only used cream, I'll give the soap a shot by itself.

Your thread made me miss my puck of VDH, which hasn't been used in a month or so. I lathered it up after my shower a few minutes ago and it was great. The only problem with my shave is that I extended the life of my feather blade one day too long, so my face tingles a bit but the soap performed beautifully, as it always has. I think my VDH will be a lifelong friend to me.

Top Bottom