What's new

aftershave balm vs aftershave

ok, i am a aftershave newbie. i usually just sprayed on some AOS rose water for cooling effect and off i went. Looking to expand my "stuff" on hand. Want to go lime and was looking at the T&H line of lime scent. I see a balm and an aftershave. What is teh difference? Is a balm more of a moisturizer and the aftershave more of a "cologne"?

ok, i am a aftershave newbie. i usually just sprayed on some AOS rose water for cooling effect and off i went. Looking to expand my "stuff" on hand. Want to go lime and was looking at the T&H line of lime scent. I see a balm and an aftershave. What is teh difference? Is a balm more of a moisturizer and the aftershave more of a "cologne"?

Try the Royall Lyme splash. Fantastic lime scent and great performer.

There's no hard and fast rule about what product is what, every manufacturer uses different ingredients and each product is unique, but in general balms are a bit thicker/creamier and have more moisturizing properties, while splashes are liquids that usually have some alcohol to sanitize and tighten up the skin.

I generally just use either a balm or a splash, but using both isn't against any rules. With regards to the T&H Lime products, I haven't tried the splash but their other stuff smells like kitchen cleaner.

You can always try Saint Charles Shave for their lime or citrus scents.

Manufactures can seem all over the place at times with nomenclature. "Aftershaves" generally have a higher percentage of alcohol in them and are used as a tightener and sanitizer (ex. Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Tabac, etc.). "Balms" typically have low, or no, alcohol and are soothing to the skin and relieve razor burn (ex. Nivea Aftershave Balm, T&H Balms, Saint Charles Shave Balms, etc)

"Splashes", "Tonics", and "Milks" can be either depending on the manufacture. Some splashes have alcohol some do not. Tonics may or may not have alcohol either. I suggest looking in the review section, or as you have done, post a question and read the labels.

I like T&H products and have both the aftershave and balm in the Trafalgar line. I also use the West Indian Limes cream and cologne so I would think the aftershave and balm would be true to the lime fragrance as the Trafalgar scent is consistence across the line.

I always use a aftershave and balm when I shave. The aftershave just after I finish shaving and a balm about twenty minutes later as I am finishing dressing.

But we are talking favorites, In the lime category I like vintage Old Spice Lime (can be hard to find) and Castle Forbes Lime Aftershave Balm to finish. I use lime predominantly in the summer and fall.

Last edited:
You can certainly use both. If it were up to me, I would only use aftershave splashes. Once in a while, someone gets me a balm for a present and I feel kind of obligated to use it. I don't like them very much.

I think that there's another active thread about lime--search around and you'll find it. Pinaud Citrus Musk is a very pleasant, reasonably priced lime scented product. Starts off with a nice lime and dries down to something like clean laundry. Give it a shot.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used to only use balms. Balm don't usually contain alcohol in them and they usually look like lotions or creams.

The splash usually contain alcohol and is a liquid. It burns a bit but does work better for my skin than the balm. The balm leaves me with a greasy feeling where the splash leaves me with a dry feeling.

As always, YMMV!

You can use both or one.

Not a lot but a bit more information:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Aftershaves

hmmm....i guess i have no choice but to try an aftershave since I have a few balms :001_smile now to decide which one. read through pages and pages of reviews and posts here. guess I just have to pick one and give it a try. Thanks again guys

I used to only use balms. Balm don't usually contain alcohol in them and they usually look like lotions or creams.

The splash usually contain alcohol and is a liquid. It burns a bit but does work better for my skin than the balm. The balm leaves me with a greasy feeling where the splash leaves me with a dry feeling.

As always, YMMV!

You can use both or one.

Not a lot but a bit more information:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Aftershaves

Luc has spelled out the difference. For me, I use Thayers Rose Petal followed by an aftershave balm. I find the balms more soothing.

I use thayer's unscented aloe, which tones very well, then an unscented aftershave balm. Then I can use the aftershave splash or cologne of my choice with out layering scents.

Top Bottom