What's new

#*$&ing UK Wilkies...

Scored two packs of UK Wilkinson Swords off the Bay. Not Light Brigades, but the blades in the "dispenser that fits a man's hand". Was looking forward to taking one for a spin in my Aristocrat after my morning workout.

Well, the pack fit in my hand just fine, but the bastards were stuck together so solidly that I ended up slicing my thumbs without realizing it while trying to push one out. When I took the pack apart (one good thing about these is that it seems the packs can be reused) I pulled out one thick quintuple "blade". I pried a couple apart, so now I've got a twin blade and a triple blade.

All the blades got bent in the process; even though I straightened them out, I don't think I'll use them. I still have another pack of stuck-together blades, I'm hoping a dip in some jewelery cleaning solution will work.

Fortunately I had some Spoilers with me to save my shave. :thumbup:

This is a common problem with old stock blades that are in dispensers. The thin coating of oil which the blades were given many years ago has undergone some changes and is now acting as a cement. Here is what has worked for me. Put some isopropyl alcohol in a shallow container and submerge the entire dispenser of blades into the alcohol for a good soak. Cover the container. Several days to a week might be needed. The alcohol will loosen up the blades and they should slide out rather easily.

This is a common problem with old stock blades that are in dispensers. The thin coating of oil which the blades were given many years ago has undergone some changes and is now acting as a cement. Here is what has worked for me. Put some isopropyl alcohol in a shallow container and submerge the entire dispenser of blades into the alcohol for a good soak. Cover the container. Several days to a week might be needed. The alcohol will loosen up the blades and they should slide out rather easily.

+1 for this. :thumbup1: If the blades are stainless this should work great, use the 97% rubbing alcohol stuff.

If the blades are NOT stainless....Uh...Well...This would rust the hell out of them I think...

Top Bottom