What's new

Newbie: Problem Shaver

My first post. Looks like a great forum & something that could benefit me a great deal. I found my way here via The Art of Manliness site.

To the problem...I have sensitive skin. My beard isn't overly tough or thick, but I generally get a rash after I shave. Sometimes a fairly severe one. I don't get the "bumps", but do get reddened skin. I also have a slight issue with a seboria/psoriasis-type problem that flairs up on occasion.

When my skin is healthy, it looks really good, but lately, that's been a rare occasion. As you can imagine, I basically only shave when I have to.

My question is could the old fashioned way of shaving with a DE razor (or equivalent)/brush/soap/etc. help me? I currently shave with a Fusion razor (or similar gadgets) & use regular shaving cream.

Anybody have an opinion? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

Yes, a switch to wet-shaving will help the problems you mentioned.

There are numerous vendors offering entry-level kits, get one and go at it. Don't forget to get a blade-sampler pack at the same time. There are many brands of blades out there, and you'll find that one or the other will work best with your particular razor and skin condition.

Keep in mind, there is a learning curve involved. Your first few shaves may feel a little worse than you're getting now, and you might cut yourself once a few times while learning.

But the best way to learn is to jump in and do it. Your lathering and shaving techniques will both improve rapidly over the first few weeks, and by the end of the month, you'll be wondering how you ever used anything else.

If you have any more questions, there are thousands of members here that can help you find your way.

Happy Shaving.

Welcome aboard, mate!

De shaving should definately help. Make sure you read up, then diver right in.

Thanks, guys. :thumbsup: I might actually look forward to shaving now. :)

I'm getting ready to start a job where I'll likely have to shave every day & maybe even get rid of my mustache/goatee (armed security). Therefore, I need a quick resolution to this problem. Either that, or my face will start looking like a tomato, LOL.

Last edited:
Many people that have sensitive skin see an improvement when they take up wet shaving. Is it possible you are having an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the canned shaving cream? What kind of shaving cream do you use?

thanx, Luc

Anybody have a suggestion on the kind/brand of starting kit with everything I need & where I could get it?

Many people that have sensitive skin see an improvement when they take up wet shaving. Is it possible you are having an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the canned shaving cream? What kind of shaving cream do you use?

I use any & all kinds of shaving cream. I've had this problem most of my life (& I'm 52 now). I believe it's a combination of razor irritation & the aforementioned problem with a slight case of seboria/psoriasis. The seboria/psoriasis isn't bad & only flairs up on occasion, but it gets made worse by shaving.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
thanx, Luc

Anybody have a suggestion on the kind/brand of starting kit with everything I need & where I could get it?

Where to buy? Have a look at the shaving supply links in Wiki

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/FAQ#Shopping_Links

BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) is also a good place to get started.

Have a look at the reviews (top menu) to help you judge on what to buy.

What can you buy?

Razor: Gillette Tech or Gillette Superspeed or Merkur HD
Blades: A razor blade sample pack is best when you start to try different blades and find the one that works best for you
Brush: I would pick a cheap Omega boar brush.
Shaving soap/cream: Shaving creams are easier to work with IMO but a shaving soap isn't that difficult either, just need a bit of water. I would recommend what's commonly available on the shelves around you (VDH, Williams, Proraso/Bigelow).
Aftershave: If you don't have one already, Nivea balm is a great starter.

Top Bottom