Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Is witch hazel safe for dry and sensitive skin?

  1. #1

    Default Is witch hazel safe for dry and sensitive skin?

    I am considering incorporating witch hazel into my shaving routine. I have suffered from dry, flaky and sensitive skin on my face for a long time. I am hoping that wet shaving with a safety razor will help alleviate this. I wonder why my dermatologist did not recommend the wet shaving method to me instead of using a cartridge?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    117

    Default

    In my very limited experience I would say that witch hazel will dry out the skin a bit, at least it does for me. But, I just use an aftershave balm to moisturize the skin after I use the WH I my skin seems to come out fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hastings, UK
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Brio1,

    Witch Hazel is a mild astringent.

    Try it (on one side of your face), and see if it agrees with you.

    Certainly afterwards, I would recommend you use a good balm; the Nivea Sensitive is very good, as is the E45 Moisturiser; both are well priced.

    Good luck !

    Have fun !

    Best regards

    Russ

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Low Desert
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    Give it a try, but the alcohol-based ones will take oil out of your skin. Thayer's makes a few that don't have alcohol; one of those might agree with you. I'd also look at a nice ASB. I've had good luck with Alt-Innsbruck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Llantwit Fardre, Wales.
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Like the above posts i would go for the non alcohol w/h, i read a article on w/h where it desribed the benifits, which included use as a aftershave, but it also outlined that using it to much will dry your skin out, i buy the stuff from my local chemist and use it about 2-3 times a week, the rest i use my alum bloc, but managed to find a uk sourse for thayers, and bought the non alcoholic stuff, so i may try to use that a bit more in my routine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    19,620
    Images
    40

    Default

    I use Thayers Rose Petal WH. It does not contain alcohol and works great without drying my skin.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

    ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

    Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

    "Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

    “Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,001
    Images
    50

    Default

    I use Thayers lemon after every shave...when it dries, I'll follow up with an aftershave balm. Seems to work well for me in the summer time and I do suffer from severe dry skin...

  8. #8
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Like the above posts i would go for the non alcohol w/h, i read a article on w/h where it desribed the benifits, which included use as a aftershave, but it also outlined that using it to much will dry your skin out, i buy the stuff from my local chemist and use it about 2-3 times a week, the rest i use my alum bloc, but managed to find a uk sourse for thayers, and bought the non alcoholic stuff, so i may try to use that a bit more in my routine.
    What would Dylan Thomas do?

  9. #9
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Brio1,

    Witch Hazel is a mild astringent.

    Try it (on one side of your face), and see if it agrees with you.

    Certainly afterwards, I would recommend you use a good balm; the Nivea Sensitive is very good, as is the E45 Moisturiser; both are well priced.

    Good luck !

    Have fun !

    Best regards

    Russ
    Thank you, Sir. Very kind of you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Palo Alto, under the Dish
    Posts
    12,661
    Images
    31

    Default

    It's a common complaint on these boards that dermatologists aren't any more informed or educated on DE shaving, quality products, etc, than the average 'man on the street. At best, some of the better informed doctors will suggest Aveeno or similar shave products.
    Just call me Chris.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    1,535
    Images
    1

    Default

    Out of curiosity, what has your skin issue been diagnosed as? If it's seborrheic dermatitis, the use of witch hazel will likely not help anything, and may burn. I had to stop wearing a goatee because of seb derm, and with the application of a topical anti-fungal (Xolegel in my case), my case cleared up and has not returned.

    In my case, the skin was red, inflamed, irritated and flaky in patches. It also itched something fierce. I suspect that part of the reason that it hasn't returned is because of the frequent renewal of the surface of my face, based on the scraping of the razor.

    Good luck!
    Are you ready for anyting? I am: Hurricanedad411.com

  12. #12
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    Out of curiosity, what has your skin issue been diagnosed as? If it's seborrheic dermatitis, the use of witch hazel will likely not help anything, and may burn. I had to stop wearing a goatee because of seb derm, and with the application of a topical anti-fungal (Xolegel in my case), my case cleared up and has not returned.

    In my case, the skin was red, inflamed, irritated and flaky in patches. It also itched something fierce. I suspect that part of the reason that it hasn't returned is because of the frequent renewal of the surface of my face, based on the scraping of the razor.

    Good luck!
    My Dermatologist mentioned possible contact dermatitis and/or psoriasis. My face tends to be dry and easily irritated by shaving. It appears that the Lab Series Razor Burn Relief Ultra is some help. Thanks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    223

    Default

    I also have sensitive skin and I found that the regular Thayers witch hazel didnt work out for me.

    Try the Kiehls Blue astringent. It's a very well made product. Try to get a sample if you can.

  14. #14
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Like it Shaved View Post
    I also have sensitive skin and I found that the regular Thayers witch hazel didnt work out for me.

    Try the Kiehls Blue astringent. It's a very well made product. Try to get a sample if you can.
    I will look into it. I use their shampoo and conditioner. Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Witch Hazel then Nivea Sensitive AS Balm?
    By MetroNome in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM
  2. Is Bigelow (Proraso) safe for sensitive skin?
    By Brio1 in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
  4. Noobed redux - sensitive skin: alcohol, scent, witch-hazel free products?
    By jeffbax in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM
  5. Witch Hazel for Sensitive Oily skin?
    By dax702 in forum Aftershaves
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 01:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.