What's new

Best size for Saddleback Leather Briefcase?

Heya Gents,

I graduated from college a few weeks ago, having promised, years ago, that I would buy a Saddleback Leather bag as a graduation present to myself. Well, I've narrowed it down to Chestnut (to match my Saddleback medium bi-fold), but am having a helluva time choosing between medium and large.

As I see it, the bag will largely be for day-to day life, transporting my laptop, books. From that perspective, medium seems to make the most sense, as it will closely fit my laptop without a ton of extra room.

On the other hand, I would like the ability to carry more now and then, for example, when traveling on a plane, etc., and the thought of having the room to fit a few more essentials/necessities is appealing. For this reason, I am leaning towards the large.

Those of you who have the bags, what size do you own? Do you wish the bag was larger or smaller? It may seem like an inane question, but for a kid fresh out of college, this is not a purchase made lightly. I know that Saddleback's quality and product is second to none, but I want to make sure that I get the size that will suit me best. I really appreciate any input or insight you have!

Congratulations on graduating! Well done. That being said...I personally do not own a Saddleback yest but I would suggest the large size. When push comes to shove, it is always better to have too much room rather than not enough and have to have an extra bag.

Steve

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'd get the large or extra large. Air Canada Carry on maximum is 16"x22"x9". My laptop is 14" x 12" and I like to pack a numeric keypad, adaptor, and mouse.

Congratulations on graduating. I think your choice of celebration gift is great in that it could serve you well for decades.

Mike

I got the large after graduating in May. It sometimes feels a bit too big, but then again, I'll never want for space with it.

Are you talking about the "classic briefcase" or the "thin briefcase/laptop bag"?

I got the large thin briefcase/laptop bag a few months ago, but i wish I had gotten the classic in large or x-large. Don't get me wrong, the thin briefcase is great. But even in the large size, after getting my laptop (Lenovo Y510) and power cord in there, there's not a lot of room for books and papers and such. I think the classic briefcase is the way to go if you want room for a laptop AND books/papers/files.

Then again, I'm a history teacher so I'd be bringing home, literally, hundreds of pages of paper each night, so that might have something to do with it too.

I'm looking at the classic briefcase. One of the other lines of reasoning currently running rampant through my mind is that at 14"x11"x9", the medium seems a little boxy, whereas the 16"x12"x9" large may be a little more pleasing in terms of proportion.

To get my gear from point A to point B, I currently use a North Face Recon backpack, which has a volume of 2015cu in. The large briefcase is smaller at 1728cu in, and the medium seems tiny at 1386cu in.

I've all but made up my mind to order the large, and may throw one of their small travel cases to boot!

I just got the med classic in the mail yesterday and it is going back to them today for either a large or XL. (still havent decided) The med one as my co workers pointed out looks like a man purse. I would like some feed back from people that currently own the XL size as I am scared it will just be too big for everyday stuff.

Go with the large. Great idea.

I graduated in '94. Maybe I need a gift to myself since I didn't give me anything back then. :lol:

I have the medium size classic briefcase. With a neoprene sleeve (adds maybe 1/8" on each side) on my 13" MacBook, it is a very, very tight fit lengthwise. I thought that the medium size briefcase would have left plenty of room for my computer, but it is a tight fit with the sleeve. So, keep that in mind as you consider what size you'll need.

But with that said, I've never really wished mine was larger. Truth be told, I did consider it once, but I'm very happy that I've stuck with the medium. I am a student and I often carry many books (plus other school supplies) in my briefcase. Saddleback bags are heavy, make that very heavy, even when they are completely empty. Carrying a medium briefcase loaded with books and a laptop is all I would ever want to carry. A larger bag by itself would add more weight, even when empty. But a larger bag also allows for carrying more books/supplies/whatever, which adds even more weight. So, while the medium size has been a tight fit for my normal carryings, it has been just right for me and I've never really wished I had a larger one.

Also, another thing to consider is that I think that the bag look its best when it is most of the way loaded. When it is empty, it can look a little floppy and thin. So, getting a bag that will be filled with your normal carryings (with perhaps a little extra room for times when you really need to carry more) lets the briefcase look its best.

All that to say, I've been very happy with my medium sized briefcase.

I've often thought about a larger one (I own a medium) but when full it is pretty heavy, especially if you carry it as opposed to wearing it crossbody. All that leather is nice but it can be a lot of weight to lug around on a daily basis.

I have a large, and it is spacious with a 15" laptop, portable HD, a couple of books, papers ect.

As mentioned, it is heavy, even when empty.

I chose the large because it can double as a overnight bag. So far it has been great in either role, overnight bag or general school / office carry.

Take care

Derek

I don't own one yet but I am leaning toward the medium. These bags are heavy. Also, I've seen some pics (on Dave's FB) with people posing with the large and it looks huge. The large is 7.5 lbs. You'll feel that I think.

The large is exactly what everyone is saying - big and heavy. But also has more than enough room for anything that I need to carry. Can be a bit unwieldy in tight spaces or under a desk.

I love mine. Especially the compliments I get on it

It's great to hear from more people, especially those who have a medium and love it! I ordered mine (Large classic) a few days ago and just received confirmation that it has shipped. I'll tell you all my first impressions once I get it!

Brian, I had no idea that the Medium was such a tight fit for the 13" Macbook. I actually have the 14" Powerbook, and likely the same (or similar) neoprene sleeve. Definitely makes me wonder if it would fit at all...

It's great to hear from more people, especially those who have a medium and love it! I ordered mine (Large classic) a few days ago and just received confirmation that it has shipped. I'll tell you all my first impressions once I get it!

Brian, I had no idea that the Medium was such a tight fit for the 13" Macbook. I actually have the 14" Powerbook, and likely the same (or similar) neoprene sleeve. Definitely makes me wonder if it would fit at all...

Hooray for the large! My 15" Lenovo Thinkpad fits well in the large- your 14" MB Pro should do fine!

Mmm, I'm currently debating the medium vs large as well.

It'll do work duty most days but also be used as a "gadget" bag on the weekend.

My biggest notebook is a Lenovo X300 ( 12.4" x 9.1" x 0.73" - 0.92" )

I carry quite a bit of stuff for work but on weekends not as much.......

Completely confused :biggrin1:

( And yes I know the standard B&B answer will be to get the medium AND the large :lol: )

Last edited:
Holy moley Batman...IT'S HERE!

Not twenty minutes ago my flatmate brought the box upstairs. I opened the box, revealing my flat-out, drop dead, rugged, manly Saddleback Briefcase in a tough yet handsome chestnut leather.

Somehow Saddleback manages to perfectly tread the line between effortlessly stylish and beautifully sturdy.

I can't tell you how excited I am to spend the next few years breaking this in.

Top Bottom