What's new

My first restorations....

After perusing these forums for a while, I decided that I wanted to embark on my own restoration journey. Picked up three brushes at the antique mall for less than 10 bucks. I think they should turn out pretty well.

Here's the three right after purchase, and some further work done on them. I have a good idea on which knots I want to put in them, but that stage will have to wait for a minute due to a disagreement between the funds I think I should have and the funds the universe tells me I have!

I have a couple questions for veteran restorers out there though. On the black rubber brush, It has such a huge crack at the top. Any ideas on how to fix that? Would I just use some black epoxy, or is there something else?

Same piece, different question: when I drilled through the floor, I discovered a white substance on the bottom. It appears to be about an inch thick, and has a sort of chalky consistency. I have no idea what it is. Anyone ever run into this before?

First off....good start on some nice old handles.

The chalk is very likely plaster of paris. You can either just leave it alone (which is what I would likely do) just drilling into it enough to set a proper base for whatever knot you choose, or try and completely remove it.

The black one with the crack....I have a similar problem ahead of me and I intend on using some black epoxy to fill the crack, then sandiing that out to match reasonably well. I have not yet done this so....others may have some better ideas.

My very first restore was that same EverReady Red/white...turned out great. I would recommend you look to the Finest knots for these...so far those knots have been my favorites.

I cannot wait to see what you do with the all wood one...repaint to match the old or something else.

Good luck and have fun...once the fund disagreement issue resolves.

In terms of the crack, i know that with plastic interiors of cars, you can "weld the plastic" using a soldering iron and black zip ties as filler. Maybe you could do something similar, using sand paper to smooth it out

Wow, thanks guys!

I didn't think of plaster of paris. I think I will leave it. It adds some decent heft. I'll probably try black epoxy. Seems like it would work best given the situation.

Congrats on the first restores! :thumbup1:

It probably will work... but it looks like you have several more cracks starting. Make sure you really like it and want to save it before spending $$ on hair for that one. At the very least it is good to practice on. :001_smile

I would also try to relieve the stress on those cracks. Drill a hole at the bottom of the crack(s) with a tiny drill bit. That should prevent further spreading crack after it is epoxied.

|
| <-- crack
|
o <-- drill at the bottom

Good luck on your restoration. I have a white plastic molded brush that I want to drill out this weekend. I hope my handle will look as good as your do.

Top Bottom