What's new

Anyone have "Use only 1 Soap/Cream at a time till finished" discpline?

I have tried but since it takes 3-12 months..it is hard to......down to about 5 in rotation now...

Only when I first started wet shaving I used 1 whole puck of VDH. Purchased another, and about half way through that puck I started acquiring many other soaps and creams. since then I haven't.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Absolutely NO!
One of the greatest pleasures of wet shaving is to choose, every morning, one of your favourite creams or soaps in your rotation!
Only one is so boring!

I've only used VDH soap so far. I have some CO Bigelow cream ready to go though. Not sure if I'll wait or not.

Absolutely NO!
One of the greatest pleasures of wet shaving is to choose, every morning, one of your favourite creams or soaps in your rotation!
Only one is so boring!

Yeah I'll agree with this. However one of the most frustrating things about wetshaving is when you order more than one thing at a time. I had three creams arrive this morning and it took me about twenty minutes to decide which one to use first.

I'm still learnin', and I used one entire puck of Prarie Creations, followed by one entire tube of Proraso...I'm thinking that creams are more to my liking now that I've tried face lathering...

Codfish

I always use Proraso when I away from home (a tube goes in my wash-kit easier than a tub and I like the Menthol buzz as when I stay away from home I usually wake up either tired or hungover... or both. Proraso is just what the doctor ordered in those situations).

Because i use Proraso exclusively when I am away from home (and it is something to look forward to) I never use it at home and so that does not count in the tally. Instead I limit myself to two other creams to use at home. These vary depending on the season and what I fancy trying. I will only buy a new tub of cream when one is finished (currently TOBS Lime & Lemon and DR Harris Arlington)

However, I also have a puck of Trumper's Rose soap, but again that does not count towards the tally because I bought it for the gf's legs (I always whip her up a batch of rose lather at the weekends after I have a shave whilst she'd in the bath). If I ever choose to use it it feels like stealing and that has it's own little naughty feeling but of course it is not my soap so you can't count that!

So, I would of course, never dream of increasing my soap tally to more than 2 :tongue_sm

Call it creative accounting! :biggrin1:

In a word, no.

Thus far i've tried a variety such as proraso, kmf, trumpers, palmolive and muhle to name a few and want to get some mama bears too, I like having to think about which cream.soap to use in the morning.

When I first started out on the wet shaving journey, I stumbled upon the Body Shop (original formula, not the Macca Root) shave cream and drained it down to the last drop without touching another cream.

I've since developed a penchant for all shaving creams in the Taylor of Old Bond Street range and can't help rotating my way through a nucleus of three/four firm favourites. Incidentally, I still have a stock of 5 tubs of the original body shop stuff which are gathering dust in my spare room :001_smile

I could and did at least before I met you yahoos! Now I'm stocked to the gills with potions, lotions, creams, and soaps.:thumbup:

What with all the fantastic options, not only can't I use one alone until it's finished, but when I DO finish one I go out and REBUY the very same one so as not to be deprived of one of my favorite potions, creams, lotions, soaps, etc.:thumbup1:

I used to only use one soap at a time because I only had my shaving mug (currently Williams in the mug). Then I bought a bowl and soap from the AOS store in Las Vegas when I was there on business several years ago. (It now holds a puck of TOBS Lavender.) That brought me up to two. About a year ago, I was in Carmel and bought a bowl of GFT Rose, making it three. Later, I bought a puck of Provance Sante Green Tea soap, and used it the little green bowl that comes with a VDH kit. So, now I have four soaps in rotation. There is probably no going back to just one.

Yes, well I'm working on it. I am totally in love with Proraso cream. But, I have a tube of Boots to finish first. So I have rationed my Proraso usage, to one Proraso shave to three Boots shaves. When the Boots is finished I am sticking with Proraso for good. Or at least until I have been shaving for at least another year. I'm fairly new DE shaving. I have my lathering skills set and whilst I get nice BBS shaves I really want to get my technique honed. I think I have wasted a lot of time and money as a learner, chopping and changing products. I wasn't getting the same shave twice and when I did get a bad shave I had no way of pinpointing the problem as there were too many variables, I need consistency. So I am going to have a single blade, single cream, single brush and single razor, when I am shaving like a seasoned master I will begin to play with products again.

Only when I first started wet shaving I used 1 whole puck of VDH. Purchased another, and about half way through that puck I started acquiring many other soaps and creams. since then I haven't.

This, exactly. Due to my rate of soap acquisition, I have yet to finish a second full puck of soap, much less all at one time.

Yes, well I'm working on it. I am totally in love with Proraso cream. But, I have a tube of Boots to finish first. So I have rationed my Proraso usage, to one Proraso shave to three Boots shaves. When the Boots is finished I am sticking with Proraso for good. Or at least until I have been shaving for at least another year. I'm fairly new DE shaving. I have my lathering skills set and whilst I get nice BBS shaves I really want to get my technique honed. I think I have wasted a lot of time and money as a learner, chopping and changing products. I wasn't getting the same shave twice and when I did get a bad shave I had no way of pinpointing the problem as there were too many variables, I need consistency. So I am going to have a single blade, single cream, single brush and single razor, when I am shaving like a seasoned master I will begin to play with products again.

This is a great way for a beginner to truly learn to shave with a DE. 1 razor, 1 brush, 1 brand of blades and 1 soap or cream for at least 3 months. Exception being that you change the brand of blades if they really are irritating you and you are sure it's not your technique to blame. Another exception would be that you are sure your badger or boar is causing irritation and need to try something else.

I started with CO Bigelow cream, a VDH boar brush and my Mach 3 for about a month or so before I got my first DE (feather portable). Since I was comfortable with the brush and cream by the time I got the DE I was able to play around a little more with creams and soaps without worrying if my lather was good or not. I did stick with Dorco blades and the feather portable for a full 3 months though and I really feel that it helped nail my technique down a lot faster.

Just to keep the thread on topic though I really am trying to nail it down to less than 10 creams and soaps in rotation. Using 1 product to completion is not an option at this point in time :thumbup1:

Current rotation:

Valobra shave stick.
Tabac.
Irisch Moos.
Cade soap.
Provence Sante.
CO Bigelow.

Top Bottom