What's new

Guy in search of the perfect shave

Hey everyone. New member who's been DE shaving for about a month now. Almost have my technique down but looking to refine it more. I'm also toying with the idea of straight razor shaving, but after reading some stuff here I just might pass.

Welcome! Glad you joined us. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about de or straight shaving.

Welcome to B&B. Hope you enjoy the ride.

You can search for the perfect shave, but you will not find it. It will find you only when you are ready.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

If you want to try a straight, you can, it's an adventure! What did you read that make you walk away? I've been using a straight since Christmas 2009!

Welcome! I started out with a DE but finally couldn't resist and started shaving with a straight after about 7 months of DE shaving. Still liking it and still have all parts of my face left :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B!

If you want to try a straight, you can, it's an adventure! What did you read that make you walk away? I've been using a straight since Christmas 2009!

I read the intro on straight razor shaving. My turn off was all the work that goes into maintaining the blade. I love the look of the blades, the mystic involved, and the potential to get a close shave that last longer (My beard grows fast and I have sensitive skin so I'm careful on the amount of passes I do), but seems like a lot of work involved with keeping the blade sharp, plus I'm not the most patient guy.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I read the intro on straight razor shaving. My turn off was all the work that goes into maintaining the blade. I love the look of the blades, the mystic involved, and the potential to get a close shave that last longer (My beard grows fast and I have sensitive skin so I'm careful on the amount of passes I do), but seems like a lot of work involved with keeping the blade sharp, plus I'm not the most patient guy.

It's not that bad. Stropping probably took me ~10 minutes/razor at the beginning. I'm now down to 5 minutes. I strop everyday, I shave in the morning and strop when I get home. That's one way to do it, you can strop right before the shave too.

If you don't want to strop at all, you can get a straight razor with disposables but I tried it and didn't find it to be the same at all.

My advice would be to get a cheap shave ready straight and a strop. Try it and if you don't like it, you can always sell it.

It's not that bad. Stropping probably took me ~10 minutes/razor at the beginning. I'm now down to 5 minutes. I strop everyday, I shave in the morning and strop when I get home. That's one way to do it, you can strop right before the shave too.

If you don't want to strop at all, you can get a straight razor with disposables but I tried it and didn't find it to be the same at all.

My advice would be to get a cheap shave ready straight and a strop. Try it and if you don't like it, you can always sell it.

That's actually a good idea. I think I'll look into that :)

Top Bottom