What's new

Newbie first time DE shaver

Hello gents,

First time DE shaver and poster, long time lurker. So I finnaly took the plunge and purchased a DE razor last week. The 1904 Merkur took my fancy and a vulfix badger brush was my choice to go with it. After reading a few newbie threads and what the experienced fellas on here had to say I purchased a sample razor pack, proraso pre/post shave cream, proraso shave cream and Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond Shaving Cream.

So my first shave was ok, going from a M3 to the DE with merkur blades was always going to be a better shave. Quite impressed I waited 2 days and had another shave this time my technique was much better and followed Mantics method shaving technique which produced brilliant results. The shave was BBS and the swirl of hair on part of my chin was finnaly removed after never being able too with the M3.

So first time round I:

-Shower
-pre shave cream
-ToOBS
This produced a mild irritation but was gone within 24 hrs. I put it down too the skin getting used to the DE razor and my below average technique.

2nd time round I swapped the ToOBS for the proraso shave cream and maybe got a bit excited and shaved against the grain to get the BBS effect. It's been a day and my face has broken out in a sort of red rash which is quite itchy and round the lower lip and chin I've gotten quite a bad pimple break out.

I'm also thinking of changing blades, should I wait until I figure out whats causing the break out?
Learn from my mistake and just go with the grain see if it happens again?
My job doesn't require me to be clean shaven so just wait for the redness to go away?

Cheers,

B&B_ginger

Last edited:
Sounds like you're off to a good start. you've done your homework, got a good tool kit, and heeded the advice of others. Good shaving.
Welcome to B&B.:thumbup1:

Irritation is an issue for many of us. For me, my neck is very sensitive and I have to take extra care.

Here is what I do after I shave.

I soak my face in cold water and follow it with a splash of Thayers' Rose Petal witch hazel. Almost immediately I feel relief. After a few minutes I follow it up with an after shave balm. If my skin is not that irritated I use T&H products (ultimate, Grafton, etc.) If my skin feels a little raw I then use Neutrogena Triple Defense. Later in the day or at night I apply a skin moisturizer. The one I use contains Hyaluronic Acid which holds 1,000X its weight in water and is very soothing. The product I use is expensive but lasts a very long time. However, I am sure other moisturizers would work also. If witch hazel and Triple Defense haven't cured the irritation I immediately apply my moisturizer.

This may work for you.

Welcome!!

Early on it's probably a combination of things but first make sure you have a really slick lather. Along with the soap or cream, water acts lubricant and it helps hydrate the beard. Go by feel, not looks. Without a good lather it's hard for everything else to perform well.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome aboard the fine ship that is DE shaving. I'll take on board whats been mentioned already and make some changes in my post shaving routine. I didn't realise I would be this bad, that ontop of getting a bit ahead of myself thinking I was the Hanzou of DE shaving.

Welcome to B&B.

I had the same problem when I first started shaving with a DE. There's so many different products out there that it took me a while to find a combination that worked for me.

I have a very coarse beard on my chin that even with a fresh blade used to take some effort to shave. It used to be extremely painful after attacking it with my razor but I found rubbing shaving oil into my skin before lathering worked wonders!

You will eventually find a combination of products and techniques that work for you, then you will suddenly get that 'wow' moment.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I wouldn't change too many variables at this stage. Try to stick to the same equipment for as long as possible, you will learn quicker that way.

Irritation, as mentioned up here is most likely caused by pressure and bad angle. Which is normal when you start.

Take it slow, practice is the key.

Drop by the Great Southern Land social group!
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=25

Welcome.

I was lucky enough to experience a very good first DE shave. This led to complacency, that, coupled with an at best average Merkur blade.

I just relax and make sure I focus every time I shave now, paying particular attention to blade angle and zero pressure.

After my first decent shave, I ended up having a couple of real lousy ones. Three months down the line and I now have a set up that works and a technique that is consistent enough to reward me with BBS shaves every time, without irritation.

Stick in there and I promise you the good shaves will come! :thumbup:

Top Bottom