What's new

Looking for brush suggestions

I ended up buying this brush - http://www.amazon.com/Silvertip-Bri...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1274396511&sr=8-1 - (Parker silvertip) since it is my first brush I do really like it, but over the last couple months its gotten kinda moppy. The only specs I have for it are it's a 20mm knot.

I occasionally face lather (when traveling) but typically use my Georgetown pottery scuttle and almost always with either AOS or TOBS creams, rarely Col soap. Price isn't that big a deal for me, or should I say, VALUE is more important than price.

Any reco's for a brush that fits this bill to compare the Parker to? Or should I first try the o-ring / velcro strap trick?

From the reading I've done here Commodore or Rooney 3/1 might fit the bill but I've also been eying either a Simpsons Tulip or Eshan. Thoughts?!?

Last edited:
The Simpsons brushes - Commodore, Tulip, Ehsan - are going to be more oriented toward face lathering and soaps. Actually, the Ehsan is just a Commodore with two-band hair instead of Best.

The Rooney 3/1 in Super was my first brush (spoiled, I know), and I regularly kick myself for selling it, and come very close to re-buying it on a weekly basis. It is a superb brush with all-around usefulness (bowl or face, soap or cream). I got mine at VintageBladesLLC.com - and while I would happily recommend you give Jim your business, I recommend VB because I hear that Jim has Rooney tweak the specs of the brushes a bit. That is to say, I don't know if the ones you get from ClassicShaving.com or the re-branded ones at TruefittandHill.com are the same loft or knot size.

Both Rooney and Simpson make very good brushes and they certainly will not be considered "floppy." As you are interested in a Simpson you might want to check out the brush sale at Vintagebladesllc as Jim has several Simpson brushes on sale right now.

I have the Chubby 1 and PJ2 and really enjoy both. I would think a Persian Jar 2, Persian Jar 3, Tulip 2 or Tulip3 would be good options to consider.

Top Bottom