What's new

More progress made shaving the fourth time with Merkur Progress

Today I shaved for the fourth time with a safety razor since my first try a couple of weeks ago. There was less irritation this time but not as close as the other times. I did 4 mainly WTG reduction passes. It appeared to take too long for all this (1 hour) and I'm still making a mess around the sink. What should I concentrate on next? Any advice and tips would be much appreciated. I need to look into acquiring some other blades than the Merkurs! Finally, I have noticed that the blade is not scraping the lather clean like in the Mantic video. It appears to leave much residue behind. Is this something that I should be concerned with? Thanks in advance!

Lather residue is a sign you're not leading with the blade, but the guard, so you're not always cutting. THat will cause irritation, along with too much pressure - and probably the Merkur blade.

I'd also suggest 4 WTG passes is 2 wasted due to diminshed returns, you'll get more from a XTG pass instead. Which will probably result in a closer shave for less passes in less time.

Lather residue is a sign you're not leading with the blade, but the guard, so you're not always cutting. THat will cause irritation, along with too much pressure - and probably the Merkur blade.

I'd also suggest 4 WTG passes is 2 wasted due to diminshed returns, you'll get more from a XTG pass instead. Which will probably result in a closer shave for less passes in less time.

Thanks for the quick response! If I am using the reduction method on the first pass should it remove the lather clean? How may I learn the best way to XTG? Thanks again.

I would recommend you tried Red Pack Personnas and set the Merkur Progress on setting 3, and heres why:

I dont know what setting you use on the Merkur? I started out with setting 1, and it left me doing 4 passes (2 wtg, 1 xtg, 1 atg) and still getting terrible shaves (in my book) and lots of irritation. This was with the new batches of Derby blades, which is generally said to be quite rough.

I switched to Red Pack Personnas, and the irritation got a lot less, still terrible shaves though...

I notched it up to setting 2. Quite good results in 4 passes, but not as fine as I would like.

I notched it up to 3, and there I will get DFS shaves in 3 passes (one each of wtg, xtg, atg) with the Personna blades. I am currently thinking about notching it up to 4 with the Personnas.

I have since gone through a huge sampler pack, and the personnas are still high on my list. They are a very consistent blade and very forgiving. Smooth and sharp. I think the main reason for them being so forgiving is that they protrude over the guard a little less than other blades. That is also why I am considering going to setting 4.

Keep in mind that the most commonly recommended beginner DE razor is the HD, which has an agressiveness equivalent to the Progress at setting 3.

On the pressure issue, I am sure I also use "excessive force" from time to time. My alum block tells me so:w00t: I find that I will be much more careful NOT to use pressure when: a) I get good results, b) I trust the blade more. These two go hand in hand. So for me, I actually use less pressure when I notch the Progress up in settings, and I use blades that seem to be performing better.

And day, weather, tiredness, skin condition, you name it plays a big part for me also, so YMMV, of course!

/Max

Every pass is a reduction pass, that's how DE's shave, reducing stubble by passes in different directions. Every pass will remove lather clean if you are getting the blade edge to the skin throughout the stroke.

The only way to determine XTG for your face is to map the beard growth direction. When you know which way it grows, you can then cut across the direction of that growth. It's perfectly normal for stubble to grow in every which way on the neck.

Keep in mind that the most commonly recommended beginner DE razor is the HD, which has an agressiveness equivalent to the Progress at setting 3.
That isn't exactly true, because Progress settings aren't standardised across all models. I also have a progress, and 3 on mine is exceptionally aggressive, with way more blade exposure than my HD. If OPs progress is anything like mine, that would only compound his technique issues.

Blades are YMMV. OP should try a few, everyone experience of blades will be different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom