What's new

Better for cleaning

Quick question that I hope has not been asked too often before and I missed it.

What is better for a quick and periodic rinse and cleaning for a DE:

Alcohol (and which kind) or Barbicide? Why?

Thanks!

I just use lots of energetic hot water to rinse my DE razors.

If it is an old razor (new to me), I will dunk it in some alcohol, then leave it out to dry. All alcohols are equally effective. Use whatever is cheap to you. Single malt Scotch is expensive, unless you quaff it after the disinfection phase.

I just use lots of energetic hot water to rinse my DE razors.

If it is an old razor (new to me), I will dunk it in some alcohol, then leave it out to dry. All alcohols are equally effective. Use whatever is cheap to you. Single malt Scotch is expensive, unless you quaff it after the disinfection phase.

The single malt is reserved for my care and maintenance :a18:

Barbicide has that nice blue food coloring in it. It looks professional. Otherwise, it is isopropyl alcohol.

Well, not true. Many bacteria/virii actually like alcohol and will survive in it. The same can't be said for Barbicide. Barbicide also has an anti-rust property. Alcohol can't say the same. Barbicide is diluted down to 1 part Barbicide to 16 parts water. If you tried that with alcohol, you would dilute it to a point it's no longer as effective.

Where can I purchase Barbicide in Canada? Local stores or online?

I'm honestly unsure if you can get it outside of a supply house, and there you have to be licenced to purchase. Luckily I know someone who is and is willing to help support my habits. :thumbup1:

May be worth asking your friendly neighbourhood barber/stylist.

DANG, it's $20 for 16 0z @ Sally. Does it remove soap scum, or do you still use scrubbing bubbles for that?

DANG, it's $20 for 16 0z @ Sally. Does it remove soap scum, or do you still use scrubbing bubbles for that?

Just remember it's a 1:16 ratio when mixing. That bottle will make 2 gallons of regulation Barbicide. Some say it doesn't remove scum, but I find it does. The way I see it is that in order to properly sanitize, it has to be able to cut through grease and the such to get at the metal. While it might not bubble, it does clean.

So far my routine is to rinse the razor with hot water and spray it down with alcohol before puting it away. Soap scum does build up so I do the scrubbing bubbles once a week, just spray it down, let is sit for a couple of minutes and rinse, all traces of soap scup gone.

Barbicide is great for disinfecting and it has some cleansing properties. Alcohol will disinfect just fine if you soak it. I like Alcohol because it dries quickly and I have easy access to 95% ethanol, which kills anything. But grocery store isopropanol will work well. The barbicide might be slightly better, but if its difficult to find and you have to pay that much for it, just go for the alcohol.

sally is usualy higher than other shops...mar-v-cide is a great cleaner-disinfectant,the liquid ,not the aerosol...follow the directions,and mar-v-cide is safe for brushes

Once a week two anti-bacterail denture tablets with 4oz hot water and 1 table spoon of rubbing alcohol. After cleaning dry (Hair dryer works great) follow by a drop of mineral oil on the moving parts. I use this method every month on all my razors and have yet to have any issues with corrosion, rust, or build up of anything.
Mike

I rinse mine off with hot water after I finish shaving and then dunk it in the Barbicide for 10 minutes or so, then after that I take it out scrub with and old soft toothbrush and rinse it off again with hot water, give a quick dunk and twirl in the Barbicide, shake it off, and then let it air dry. I haven't had any problems, and they stay sparkling like new. I was wondering however if it would be okay to store them in the Barbicide from day to day if using regularly, I woldn't want to store it in there long term. I don't think it would hurt it, but you never know with Merkurs. Anyone else tried this?

I ordered Hydrocide from Sally, came out $11 shipped with tax for 16oz bottle. is dillution ratio same for Hydrocide as it is to Barbicide? 1:16?

thanks

Alex

Will Barbicide cause any damage or discoloration to the silver plate on a Gillette Old Type?

Thanks

Top Bottom