What's new

Double ring here today, gone today

I tried to offer him $200 in the hope he thought it was $2000 and jumped at it but he has locked out none US bidders.

If the stamp is original to the envelope, it would date it to 1910. I'm pretty sure that Franklin stamp was only used one year.
Is there a known date that Gillette moved from Chicago to Boston? I've always wondered what year the Boston cases were first produced.

I see he's changed the date to 1905.

Both the Chicago and New York Sales offices co-existed in 1904. I don't recall there being a Boston sales office, at least in the Double Ring era.

The Boston case might have come out before the sales offices as that was the Gillette factory and corporate offices. That might be a rare case.

Len

Last edited:
The serial number puts it at 1905 but "back of the inspection card is stamped April 27, 1907". Think it sat on the shelf for 2 years until someone his great grandfather bought it?

The serial number puts it at 1905 but "back of the inspection card is stamped April 27, 1907". Think it sat on the shelf for 2 years until someone his great grandfather bought it?

I think its a hodge-podge package. The case is likely original to the razor, but the stamp is 1910 & the inspection note is from 1907. A nice set regardless. Just not $2000 nice!

I think its a hodge-podge package. The case is likely original to the razor, but the stamp is 1910 & the inspection note is from 1907. A nice set regardless. Just not $2000 nice!

I think he set such a high 'BIN Or Best Offer' just so he could weed through the offers. I doubt he expects anyone will actually pay two grand for it. Can't blame him for wanting to take the best offer. It is Ebay afterall and when you sell there, most likely you're trying to make all you can. Geez, just 2 days ago someone paid $560 for a Toggle. I'd spend $560 on this Double Ring before I would on a Toggle.

I think he set such a high 'BIN Or Best Offer' just so he could weed through the offers. I doubt he expects anyone will actually pay two grand for it. Can't blame him for wanting to take the best offer. It is Ebay afterall and when you sell there, most likely you're trying to make all you can. Geez, just 2 days ago someone paid $560 for a Toggle. I'd spend $560 on this Double Ring before I would on a Toggle.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one!
Personally, if it were my great grandfather's razor, that's about what I'd make someone pay if they had to have it, but you wouldn't see it on the bay. That's just me though. A link to my past is priceless, especially when it takes up such little space.

Why don't you encourage his price gouging just a little more? :mad3:

It's $1,800.00, not $2k, and it comes with FREE SHIPPING !!!!

BTW, the envolope could be a later date if the gentleman continued to send back the blades and got new envolopes over time.

I would certainly like this in my collection as it really is a nice piece of history, but you could buy a car for that price.

I got the seller to add me to the exclusions list so I could put in an offer which I did. $200. It was rejected and I got a counter offer of $1500. I rejected that and sent a note asking why he thinks his double ring is worth 7 or 8 times more than anyones elses.

It's $1,800.00, not $2k, and it comes with FREE SHIPPING !!!!
I guess he dropped the price some. Was $2000 earlier today.

BTW, the envolope could be a later date if the gentleman continued to send back the blades and got new envolopes over time.

I never even thought of that. Its hard to imagine that 100+ years ago people would actually do that. Hard to imagine in the sense that one can go right up the street or order from the web when they get low. You just don't hear how hard the old days were when it came to shaving.

I would certainly like this in my collection as it really is a nice piece of history, but you could buy a car for that price.

True, true

Last edited:
Top Bottom