What's new

New guy from Chicago

I've been a lurker but never posted. Thinking about going the DE route. Sick and tired of paying all the money for something I'm throwing away all the time. Plus, kind of a nostalgic...

I've got a question though, well... several.

First, soaps. Will most refills fit in the bowls that are sold separately? Looking at getting the basic Col. Conk bowl but kind of leaning toward the Taylor of Old Bond Street line of soaps. Comments, suggestions.

Merkur 34C HD seems the razor of choice for beginners so leaning toward that.

Brush recommendations? Looking at Simpson Eagle G2 or Simpson Commodore X2.

Anything else?

Soaps come in different shapes and sizes, so they won't necessarily fit in bowls made for different brands of soap. However, it's pretty easy to mill a soap (basically, grate it up) and pack it into whatever container your want. Vegetable-based soaps can even be melted and poured if you are careful about it, so I wouldn't worry too much about how well your soap will fit a bowl.

Either of those brushes would be a great choice. The Commodore is one of my favorite brush handle designs.

Soaps come in different shapes and sizes, so they won't necessarily fit in bowls made for different brands of soap. However, it's pretty easy to mill a soap (basically, grate it up) and pack it into whatever container your want. Vegetable-based soaps can even be melted and poured if you are careful about it, so I wouldn't worry too much about how well your soap will fit a bowl.

Either of those brushes would be a great choice. The Commodore is one of my favorite brush handle designs.

+1

Welcome to B&B.

Welcome to B&B!

The Merkur is a fine razor, you may also want to check out the Edwin Jagger DE89L or the Muhle R89 (same head just different handles), both give a lovely shave.

I'm in a similar situation, looking to explore soaps again after months of using a cream. IMHO, the specialized soap bowls (I'm looking at you AOS) are just ridiculously expensive for what they are. If I can find an inexpensive, attractive soap bowl, I'll mill a soap puck without hesitation.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Welcome to B&B, mate!

The HD is an excellent razor and, if you get it, I suppose you won't be disappointed.
Regarding Simpson brushes, they are all great, fantastic brushes.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. I'll let you know when I finally make the jump and purchase my kit. I'm eager to and can't wait. 34C is Out of Stock at West Coast. Once they get it in I'll probably order. Wish there was a good shop in or near Chicago.

Welcome to B&B from another Chicagoan. Check out the Edwin Jagger DE89L. I believe it is in stock at Royal Shave (royalshave.com) as is the Merkur. I got my EJ from there and it was delivered in 2-3 days.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Good advices up here. I would recommend having a look at the reviews (see top menu)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. I'll let you know when I finally make the jump and purchase my kit. I'm eager to and can't wait. 34C is Out of Stock at West Coast. Once they get it in I'll probably order. Wish there was a good shop in or near Chicago.

Merz Apothecary -
4716 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago
(773) 989-0900

http://www.merzapothecary.com/

Beautiful shop.

A great repository of all things shaving.

Last edited:
Groovy! A million thanks. I'll have to check it out. I'll set aside a man-day for myself. New hat, clothes and shaving stuff. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom