What's new

Pork Rib Rub Recipes

I figured I'd ask with a correct topic.

I like to grill, and have recently converted to charcoal. Smoking meats was not really an option with gas, so wanted to start it up with the new weber. Anyone have a good pork rib rub and/or sauce recipe that they are willing to share? I know these things tend to be trade secrets.

Kansas City Dry Rub:

•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup paprika
•1 tablespoon black pepper
•1 tablespoon salt
•1 tablespoon chili powder
•1 tablespoon garlic powder
•1 tablespoon onion powder
•1 teaspoon cayenne

This is my super secret basic rib rub, If the ribs are meaty- I will rub the night before.

1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup Turbinado sugar (regular brown sugar does not hold up to the heat as well)
1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp granulated onion
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp ground chili
2 tbsp dry mustard
2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground nutmeg

After a couple of hours I spray with 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 cider vinegar till done.

Enjoy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Do you toast your cumin before grinding it? It can be overwhelming.

MMmmm, mmm, mmmm......ribs!!

If you'd like your rib recipes trialed, just send a rack on dry ice. Wendy and I will promptly reply with our expert opinion. :thumbup:
Sue

* 1/3 cup paprika
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons black pepper
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 2 teaspoons dry mustard
* 2 teaspoons cayenne
* 1 teaspoon white pepper

I spay some vinegar on the ribs or meat. Then I apply the above mixture.

If you want a recipe without sugar, e.g. a savory one, try this: dry rub- salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika and black pepper. It is basic, but good. I am afraid I do not have precise measures, as I just take a bowl and mix it up.

If I use brown sugar, it is basically the same as most above.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you want a recipe without sugar, e.g. a savory one, try this: dry rub- salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika and black pepper. It is basic, but good. I am afraid I do not have precise measures, as I just take a bowl and mix it up.

If I use brown sugar, it is basically the same as most above.

There's a word for needing to use precise measurements. It's called baking.

Mix to taste!

I'll contribute an easy, can't miss recipe.

Like most things, preparation is the key. The day before your smoke or cook remove the membranes from the baby back ribs and trim the fat. Cut the racks to smoking or cooking size. Slather with yellow mustard (no you will not taste the mustard after the ribs are smoked. This is one of the tricks for excellent smoked ribs so don't skip it.)

Mix up a rub that is 2/3 Gordon's Grub Rub, 1/3 Tex Joy Special Bar-B-Q Seasoning Rub

I often will add some Cholula Chili Roast Garlic seasoning. Just a few shakes.

Apply the rub evenly to the baby back ribs and rub it in. Wrap each cooking size rack separately in Saran Wrap and refrigerate. Two hours before you place the meat in the smoker or cooker pull it out of the fridge so it returns close to room temp.

Smoke or cook @ 225 for three hours, turn, increase the temp to 250 for one or two hours until done. Ribs are done when the bone tears from the meat easily.

These ribs will make you slap your Granny!

I smoke my ribs in a WSM (the smaller, older version) and I use rib racks.

Last edited:
I use Alton Brown's 8:3:3:1 recipe:
8 parts brown sugar
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts chili powder
1 part something else

For something else, I use half black pepper and half cumin. For the "part", I find that 1/3 of a cup does 2-3 large racks.

I use a Brinkmann smoker to do the cooking. I like to have to chew the meat, so I take them off after about 2.5-3 hours.

I make my own sauce. All ingredients are to taste.
ketchup
apple cider vinegar (I usually add until a big whiff will take your breath away)
onion
garlic
brown sugar
dried chili
salt
pepper
rosemary

Enjoy!

Also, if no one else has suggested it, go out and find some hardwood lump charcoal. Especially for smoking, it's so much better than briquettes. There's no coal/petrochemical smell to it and it burns much more cleanly.

I figured I'd ask with a correct topic.

I like to grill, and have recently converted to charcoal. Smoking meats was not really an option with gas, so wanted to start it up with the new weber. Anyone have a good pork rib rub and/or sauce recipe that they are willing to share? I know these things tend to be trade secrets.

Just use Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. You won't be disappointed.

Tim

Super Swine Swizzlers Dry Rub

Ingredients

1 tablespoon hot chile powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

I've used this rub for about 15 years, works great with a honey or sweet BBQ sauce finish.

btw, if you can get your hands on it, this weeks episode of man vs food had a small segment on ribs, quite nice,

I use Alton Brown's 8:3:3:1 recipe:
8 parts brown sugar
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts chili powder
1 part something else

For something else, I use half black pepper and half cumin. For the "part", I find that 1/3 of a cup does 2-3 large racks.

+1

I like AB's rub, good proportions.

As for fuel, I keep a pile of pecan wood out back and make a fire about 30 mins before time to start cooking

I use a cooker like this:
proxy.php

Although mine isn't as pretty cuz I burn mesquite wood sometimes and I'm not always careful with my temperature =P

Top Bottom