What's new

New brush recommendations

I'm giving up on my Rooney 1/2 Super, which has sadly been kind of a personal disaster on several levels. Bad shedding, bad results, and really cut down on my enjoyment of shaving. I would use my old C&E brush, but going back to it this weekend showed me that I was definitely right to want to replace it. So I'm looking for a replacement again and need some opinions.

I did like the size of the 1/2, especially the large handle and wider knot (24mm), though less loft would be nice. I didn't like the lack of scrub and its tendency to be a lather hog, and would probably prefer a little more backbone. So based on this, what sounds be a good choice? I think the more I look that a Chubby 1 would be near-perfect, but I don't have the money to drop on a brush like that (I'm expecting to buy something in Pure), especially with no experience with it.

Any advice is welcome!

Last edited:
Something in best would be good. Since the hair is stiffer and doesn't require as dense a pack they should be less of a lather hog. I've heard good things about the simpsons best. Wee scot, case, etc. There's lots of options in the $40-120 range.

Simpsons Duke 3 or get a custom made. There are two or three custom brush makers posting on here.

I was looking at that last night, but I also saw some posts here suggesting that it's kind of lacking in backbone. How does it perform in your experience?

Also took some time for the Rooney 3/1 since it always gets such rave reviews. Does anyone know how it compares to a Vulfix 2233? I got that one via PIF but found it far too floppy and with a tiny handle.

I was looking at that last night, but I also saw some posts here suggesting that it's kind of lacking in backbone. How does it perform in your experience?

Also took some time for the Rooney 3/1 since it always gets such rave reviews. Does anyone know how it compares to a Vulfix 2233? I got that one via PIF but found it far too floppy and with a tiny handle.

I don't know, I am currently saving my pennies for one. From what i have heard the Duke 3 is a great all rounder & if you manage to get one that is built to spec, they are even better with soaps. I cannot remember anyone bad mouthing the Duke.

I have a Rudy Vey custom with TGN 2 band extra stuffed 24/49mm. It is an excellent performer. You could get one of those & a semogue boar & still have some change for the price of the duke.

I think the Simpson Best is very comparable to silvertips of other companies. It is pleasantly soft to me. I've heard of others that have used the Best grade and Rooney Super that they are very comparable, often giving the win to the Best. I've never used Rooney Super so I can't say.

From reading others opinions you might look into the Simpson Ehsan (Colonel X2L carried by Bull Goose) It's one myself I'd grab if money was plentiful. :lol:

Also Vintage Blades is having a temporary price reduction on their Simpson brushes which are all in 2-band. Beware that at first the 2-bands are a bit of a lather hog though, but with more use they break in nicely and get better. You mentioned that Chubby 1 and it's going for an excellent price right now there.

Bit shorter on the handle than the Rooney 1/2, and about same loft, but Jim will be willing to find you the shortest of the lofts he has if you ask. Great person to work with, as with all the other vendors.

Doing a custom finest knot brush from someone would be a good choice as well. My friend has a Penworks 20mm Jade Finest I bought some time back for him and he absolutely loves it.

Good luck in your brush search and I hope you find one that is just what you want! :thumbup1:

also vintage blades is having a temporary price reduction on their simpson brushes which are all in 2-band. Beware that at first the 2-bands are a bit of a lather hog though, but with more use they break in nicely and get better. You mentioned that chubby 1 and it's going for an excellent price right now there.

woah!

Also Vintage Blades is having a temporary price reduction on their Simpson brushes which are all in 2-band. Beware that at first the 2-bands are a bit of a lather hog though, but with more use they break in nicely and get better. You mentioned that Chubby 1 and it's going for an excellent price right now there.

Bit shorter on the handle than the Rooney 1/2, and about same loft, but Jim will be willing to find you the shortest of the lofts he has if you ask. Great person to work with, as with all the other vendors.

Yeah, I was looking hard at that 2-band Chubby 1 just yesterday. It's definitely a candidate, along with a raft of Simpsons brushes and some stuff from Penworks. My list right now:

2-band Chubby 1
Duke 3
Eagle 3
Classic 2
Colonel X2L
Commodore 3
Penworks African blackwood 2-band (also saw some other intriguing options on their site)

Basically all of these look like generally the right range, I just have no idea how they compare or which one might be "more" right.

Yeah it can be a hard process Max. Just get all the opinions you can from the members, and read what's already been said, and then choose the one your gut tells you to.

A couple more to think about maybe would be the Vie-longs. There's a Two-band Super badger Vie long from Bull Goose, and then there's a Vie-long Black Badger brush that might be a consideration. Give the vendors an e-mail or call too for their opinions. They can be very helpful in deciding on a brush.

I recently got a TGN (Penworks) knot in 20mm best that I had Rudy Vey put into a custom made handle at 44mm loft. It's been great so far - good backbone, a bit, but not too, scrubby/scritchy. They have the same knot in 22mm (http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_43) but not 24. I also have a 24mm TGN finest extra hair, which is nice, but probably too soft and dense to be what you are looking for. Rudy is great to work with and the finished brush turns out to be very economical. Just an option to consider.

Top Bottom