Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe recommendation: Mezlan

Default Shoe recommendation: Mezlan

Last time I needed a new pair of dress shoes (and I'm a musician - I'm in a tuxedo probably every other week) I picked up a pair of Mezlan. Best $250 I ever spent - they're almost as comfortable as the Clarks I use as my everyday shoes, and they look really good. Well-built, too.
    - E.J.

My [url="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14714"]Hall of Fame entry[/url].

Default My recent favorites

In the past six months I've bought two pairs of Too Boot New York shoes (Austins, in black and chocolate) and a pair of their boots (Anconas?). Too Boot makes a really great product at a very reasonable price...leather soles, really nice leather uppers and their "look" is very cool. They'll cost you between $200.00 and $400.00, but worth every penny.

As a disclaimer, sort of, I work for a footwear company, but we don't make men's dress shoes. If we did, I'd be pushing our brand. (We make equestrian footwear...really, really good equestrian footwear.)

Images

Treated myself to four pair of Allen-Edmonds all at once. Got enough trees for each pair to have it's own set while I go about my business in Dr. Marten's until the weather gets a bit warmer and all the salt and crap are off the ground.
    The A-E's are: 2 pair of Hillcrest in black, and in chestnut (chestnut color no longer offered), and 2 pair of Bergland (style apparently discontinued on the A-E website) in black, and in brown.
    I enjoy just looking at them all, but wearing them is even better!
    Last edited by ProphetNoir; 03-06-2007 at 02:11 PM.
    I would rather be with the people of this forum than with the finest people in the world.

Thumbs up

Allen Edmonds shoes are in my opinion the finest "off the shelf" shoes made in America and only improve with wearing.

"Comfortable as an old shoe" Shakespeare

Images

Alden shell cordovan. The longer you wear them, the better they look. Pricey, but when considering the years you will wear them, its negligible.
    Cheers,

Bob

I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want to live like one. - Dean Martin

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
    Proud Member of the Eagle Group Buy of 2010
    Soap For Hope is the Key - 2011
    The 3017 Journey - 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2013

Aldens.... Love to have a pair but the mission that is set before me to get hold of them is quite large!

I know of one Alden stockist in London UK, that's it. Buying online is not an option in case the sizing is out because returns could be an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
    Last time I needed a new pair of dress shoes (and I'm a musician - I'm in a tuxedo probably every other week) I picked up a pair of Mezlan. Best $250 I ever spent - they're almost as comfortable as the Clarks I use as my everyday shoes, and they look really good. Well-built, too.
    E.J. Great choice. I have two pair that I purchased at Nordies.
    Jeff

[B]Razors:[/B] Futur/Progress
    [B]Blades:[/B] Derby's/Feathers
    [B]Brushes: [/B]B&B Faux Horn Finest Silvertip
    [B]Soaps:[/B] Mama Bear's
    [B]Creams:[/B] T&H

[URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10447"]Jeff's Hall of Fame Entry[/URL]

What's the point of dating without games? How do you know if you're winning or losing?-Jerry Seinfield

Mezlan is a nice shoe but is not worth retail by any means (I own four pair including tux shoes). They're not Goodyear welted and some of the leather is grain corrected. Nothing wrong with that, but for full price there are much better choices.

For USA made Allen Edmonds is terrific and reliable as you'll ever find. They were just bought by a larger company and rumor has it they will take some or all production off-shore. Alden costs more than AE and is arguably a better shoe, but if either one has the style you like, you can't go wrong. Recently my rotation has regularly included Alden shell cordovan bluchers (made from the hide or "shell" of a horses' butt!).
    Last edited by mano; 03-09-2007 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetNoir View Post
    Treated myself to four pair of Allen-Edmonds all at once. Got enough trees for each pair to have it's own set while I go about my business in Dr. Marten's until the weather gets a bit warmer and all the salt and crap are off the ground.
    The A-E's are: 2 pair of Hillcrest in black, and in chestnut (chestnut color no longer offered), and 2 pair of Bergland (style apparently discontinued on the A-E website) in black, and in brown.
    +1 Doc's and AE's No other way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker of Knowledge View Post
    Allen Edmonds shoes are in my opinion the finest "off the shelf" shoes made in America and only improve with wearing.

"Comfortable as an old shoe" Shakespeare
    +1 It is true that they improve with age esp. in comfort. I have a real old pair that look it. They are the most comforable dress shoe I have.

Images

I've been really impressed with Sandro Moscaloni shoes of late, and have several pair. Really stylish.
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Quote Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
    I've been really impressed with Sandro Moscaloni shoes of late, and have several pair. Really stylish.
    I have one pair of those that use for my "nicer than casual, but not all the way to a suit" days. For everyday I wear a pair of Clarks that I've had for about 6 years now. The Moscolonis are very nice, though.

I'll take a look at the Allen-Edmonds and Aldens next time I'm in the market for some shoes.
    - E.J.

My [url="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14714"]Hall of Fame entry[/url].

13. Default

Allen Edmund's

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dawgball View Post
    Allen Edmund's
    DITTO
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

Does AE have something that would go equally well with jeans and business attire?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jamacdon View Post
    Does AE have something that would go equally well with jeans and business attire?
    Check out their website: here

They have quite a few selections in the Dress Casual and Casual lines. I own two pair of their dress shoes; Hillcrest and Brentwood (discontinued style, I believe). They are very comfortable. I have very wide feet (4E), so it's difficult to find nice looking shoes in that size. These fit the bill quite nicely.

j.
    ≈ Johnathan ≈

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetNoir View Post
    Treated myself to four pair of Allen-Edmonds all at once. The A-E's are: 2 pair of Hillcrest in black, and in chestnut (chestnut color no longer offered), and 2 pair of Bergland (style apparently discontinued on the A-E website) in black, and in brown.
    +1 on Allen Edmonds. They are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I have ever owned and they look great.
    Bullgoose Shaving: Czech & Speake, D.R. Harris, iKon, Geo F. Trumper, Simpson, Edwin Jagger, Vie-Long & More

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
    Ah, how tastes change.

I've since gotten interested in good quality English shoes, and wouldn't buy another pair of Moscalonis. The "Peale & co." shoes from Brookes Bros. are made by a couple of reputable English companies, and when on discout are an affordable entry into this luxury.

So Doc, what are you enjoying these days?

I'm pondering a pair of church's only after many Aldens lately.

Eesh. I blame you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by petr View Post
    So Doc, what are you enjoying these days?

I'm pondering a pair of church's only after many Aldens lately.

Eesh. I blame you.
    I certainly like the Peal shoes from Brooks Bros. I've got several pair. Eesh, I blame me, too.

(I understand those shoes are made by Crockett & Jones, and by Alfred Sargent ... both reputable English makers.

... there are some on sale right now at the BB website ... basically half off! Eesh, blame me again.