What's new

Your Sunburn remedies?

What's your best remedy for sunburn? Was working in yard without a shirt yesterday since it was 100 degrees and too hot for shirt, digging holes and planting green peppers...entire back looks like Mr. Krabs and hurts bad.

I've tried Solarcaine spray with extra aloe and painkiller, Noxema, Aspirin...feels bad!

Anyone have another helpful remedy, whether it's a product or home remedy, I don't care.

Thanks in advance.

I've used black tea and a little cold water to make a "paste" and apply it liberally to the affected areas. It seemed to work for me every time I've been burned. No need to use expensive tea either just get the cheapest black tea and take it out of the bags. Not sure the science behind it, just something my Mom has done for years and I do too. Good luck.
-Jake

You'd think with how many times this has happened to me in my lifetime, I'd remember sunscreen BEFORE the damage! :glare:

I had even put some on my 2YO son who wanted to help with the gardening...but didn't do myself. It was hot...so I took my shirt off. Oops.

Anyone tried the plain yogurt method?

I can get a big tub and make some Tandoori Chicken with the rest of it. :laugh:

Wow, some of these seem like they would hurt more than help (lemon juice?).
But actually I have tried the vinegar before as well. Also, nothing feels better than a cold shower.

I'm guessing that it would work even tho it's acidic. The reason tea works is the tannins = tannic acid.

best thing to do is nothing at all.

Putting stuff on your skin keeps the heat in and most times retards the skins' ability to heal itself.

What feels like relief is only short term and makes you feel worse in the long run.

I'm guessing that it would work even tho it's acidic. The reason tea works is the tannins = tannic acid.

Doesn't red wine have high levels of tannic acid as well from the skins of the grape? I don't know how the alcohol would affect the burn but maybe red grape juice would also work?

best thing to do is nothing at all.

Putting stuff on your skin keeps the heat in and most times retards the skins' ability to heal itself.

What feels like relief is only short term and makes you feel worse in the long run.

actually these remedies do just the opposite and act as a heat sink of sorts drawing the heat out of the skin. I notice a huge difference in the time my skin heals and the amount I peel when I don't use one of the mentioned remedies.

Doesn't red wine have high levels of tannic acid as well from the skins of the grape? I don't know how the alcohol would affect the burn but maybe red grape juice would also work?

Red wine *can* have high levels of tannins depending on grape variety and age of wine. However, I suspect that the alcohol content would be drying/damaging for already damaged skin. OTOH, the resveratrol component could be helpful.

The best remedy for a sunburn is not to get one in the first place.

If it's "too hot" to work with a shirt on, put sunscreen all over your torso before you go outside in the first place. And reapply often.

Seriously, in this day and age, there really is no excuse (other than abject poverty) for a sunburn.

My wife is your stereotypical redhead with alabaster white skin - if she even thinks about the sun too long she burns. Being a California beach girl, she's had a lot of experience with treating sunburn, and she recommends a thick slathering of aloe immediately followed by light moisturizing lotion 2-3 times per day until the peeling stops.

I had a tub of white Proraso pre/post shave cream with aloe and green tea that I use for sunburn. It works pretty well for me (since I didn't have any other aloe products).

I also recommend aloe and aloe-based creams. Ones with a light topical anesthetic are very helpful, too. I had more than a few sunburns spending entire summers at the beach when I was a kid.

But you have to wear sunscreen and cover up. I haven't burned in years and don't plan to ever again. It's not worth it.

Also, it's never too hot to wear a shirt outside. I go down to work on our rentals in Yuma, Arizona. I've seen the thermometer pinned at 125. The clothing stays on, but water intake goes way up. If you feel hot, drink more water and pour water on yourself.

The best remedy for a sunburn is not to get one in the first place.

If it's "too hot" to work with a shirt on, put sunscreen all over your torso before you go outside in the first place. And reapply often.

Seriously, in this day and age, there really is no excuse (other than abject poverty) for a sunburn.

Uhhh, thanks.

So...how to soothe the sunburn? :laugh:

Invest in an aloe plant and break off tips as needed :001_smile. . . I second the notion of investing in an inexpensive aloe plant. :w00t:

Top Bottom