What's new

Safety Razor newbie in question

Hi to all.

I've been wet shaving with Gillette 2 and 3 blades for a good 15 years now, but safety razors are new to me. I recently acquired a Muhle R41 which has an OC head, and different blades tryout is in progress.

Neck area is the problem for me, I tend to end up with irritation every time. Yes, I've done my "growth directions map" :001_cool: I shave in 4 or 5 passes, but there's still LOADS of growth left. No chance of shaving against the grain, not even after sauna. And I've been very careful with my technique, blade angle, trying not to press at all, etc. Still, I get no cuts, so I might be doing something wright.

I was a cheapskate and figured I'd use out my existing Gillette shaving gel first, and buy some soap later on. I do have a moderately good Omega brush, though. I lather the gel in a cup, but it kinda morphs into light foamy lather immediately, and it really makes no difference if I whip it for ten seconds or five minutes.

Also I did try my friend's Muhle R109, which is a regular head, no OC. It worked out better, possibly due to the heavier head and better weight distribution.

Is it just me being a newbie with a crappy technique, or does the gel affect that much? Any hints appreciated!

It is probably a combination of technique and preparation. I don't think you can lather up any gel. You would be probably better off if you apply it directly to your face until you can get some soap or cream.

+1 on not lathering the gel. And try to stretch out the trouble area with the fingers on your free hand to get a flatter and less flimsy skin surface to shave. Buy some real soap or cream :001_smile you will not regret it.

The open-comb is a more aggressive razor. As a newbie, it might be better to start with a straight bar DE. The pressure issue is preached but is worth repeating. If you are transitioning from a cartridge razor then you are used to applying pressure. If so, what you view as "no pressure" might still involve some unintended pressure. Pay close attention to this. I stress it because it is something I realized after several months of wet-shaving.

I would suggest a nice soap or cream, as you can't lather a standard shaving gel. You can just use the gel as intended, but I wouldn't try lathering it. If you're adding water during the lathering you are probably making what cushion the gel provides even less for the shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

First, do not do more than 3 passes. There will be stubble left but you won't be at risk to get more irritation and ingrown. You still are but less.

A shaving soap or shaving cream with a shaving brush is the utimate combo IMO.

The Open Comb is not more aggressive or less aggressive than a Closed Bar safety razor. It depends on the model, there are aggressive open combs and mild open combs.

The Muhle is an excellent razor with great reviews. I would keep it!

You might need to try a different blade in your lot!

Dump the gel and buy some Arko - cheap and amazing!
Then that'll get you hooked on using proper soaps and the AD will kick in nicely all by itself ! :lol:

Lathering gel is pointless. The blade or the angle you are using might be the problem.

*cougharkocoughbuyitcough*

You need to find a specific brand of blades that works for you. I recommend getting one of the sample packs advertised here to figure out what's best for you.

4-5 passes and still lots of stubble left also suggests your angles are way off, and simply not cutting in places. Extra passes at this stage will only add cuts and irritation.

Thanks for all the great advice, they're all very helpful.

You need to find a specific brand of blades that works for you. I recommend getting one of the sample packs advertised here to figure out what's best for you.

As a matter of fact, I have already purchased a pack containing 8 different brands, and I'm trying those different blades. Derby and Gillette - the ones that came with the razor - seem very similar.

Newbie is as newbie does, I'll try to be patient.

I also had trouble with the neck area when I first started and it can be really frustrating. I tried all sorts of methods on my neck before I found the right one for me.

I have found that a 2 pass on the neck is the sweet spot for me. I disregard hair growth pattern and just shave north to south on first pass and south to north on 2nd. For me this is pretty much 2 passed across the grain. I still do a 3-4 pass shave on cheeks and jawline.

Hi-- I'm a newbie to DE open comb shaving pretty much where you are, but I have some suggestions. First, take it slow; if you've been using a 3 blade, the DE should be much slower. I started on a Sunday when I had nothing to do for an hour, and took my time. Sunday was great. Then Monday, I was getting ready for work and in a hurry and my face looked like a butcher shop. Second, take care to watch your angle--the cartridges are very forgiving and the DE is not. What I've learned here is that if the angle is correct the blade and the comb should touch the face at the same time. Third, don't apply pressure--the weight of the razor provides the pressure, not you. Again, with the cartridge, if you press harder, you get a closer shave, with a DE you do more damage with more pressure. What everyone else said about shaving soap and new blades, that too (but I'm not sure yet about the blades). Also, I started with a pre shave oil a couple of weeks ago, and it makes a huge difference. Finally, if you decide the Muhle is not for you, please let me know. That's what I want for Christmas.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Try an adjustable. And watch your angle of attack, and pressure. Just go WTG (with the grain) for now. Don't worry... you will find what works for you and tame that blade.

First, take it slow; if you've been using a 3 blade, the DE should be much slower.

Well, today I shaved WAY slower than usually, and it really made a difference. I was also extremely meticulous with the blade angle. Stretching the skin a bit more was helpful too. Practically no irritation. Still stubble on the neck, but otherwise we're nearing BBS. But it still took 5 passes. Now, I'm not saying my beard is coarse, but let's just say that I don't really need a nail file...

Finally, if you decide the Muhle is not for you, please let me know. That's what I want for Christmas.

I'm still yearning for a straight-bar, but as it seems, there's still hope for the OC. But I'll keep you informed. :thumbup1:

I was a cheapskate and figured I'd use out my existing Gillette shaving gel first, and buy some soap later on. I do have a moderately good Omega brush, though.

Seriously, living in Europe you have excess to some great quality products for very little coin. You should be able to pick up a Palmolive Shave Stick for next to nothing.

Why suffer through poor quality shaves, when low cost products are so easy to afford?

In terms of improved shaves, the brush, and soap/cream make much more difference than the actual razor you use to shave with (although in my opinion the four, and five blade cart razors are worthless monstrosities).

Seriously, living in Europe you have excess to some great quality products for very little coin.

Well, sad to say, but DE-razors are practically not known at all in Finland. And the same goes with products, no soap, no cream, no nothing. Everything has to be ordered from online stores... which in itself is not a problem, but any service or shaving tips prom shop personnel are not available.

I had a feeling I'd be ordering something online again anyway; so I'd try and get familiar with the razor first, and get soap among other stuff later on. But digging into the depths of B&B, it's becoming more and more clear that it's best to ditch the gel and go shopping asap. (And I haven't even dug that deep yet :w00t: )

But thanks again to all you good ppl, it feels good to see that in this bitstream jungle, there are decent forums that actually care of it's newbies.

Top Bottom