What's new

Parker 99R

I know Parkers don't always get much love here--and I've been one of the first to say they're unpredictable--but after coming out with the 98r to compete with the Merkur barber pole, they've come out with a TTO version:

View attachment 111062

I must admit, a butterfly barber pole, clone or not, is interesting. Anybody have one who could give some feedback?

The parkers I've used haven't been the same quality as Merkur or Muhle, but they seem to be committed to improving, and that is something.

Vintage razors are the end of the line, no matter how many were made (and with DE Gillette, that number must be in the gazillions now). So, they are what they are (allowing, of course, for condition).

I don't have stats to back me up, but my guess is that men in many developed countries and most developing ones are using DE razors. DE is making something of a comeback in the US (though I believe that cartridges will dominate for the foreseeable future -- marketing) -- I've had recent conversations with young men in their 20s (I'm in my 60s) who say that this is increasingly a topic of conversation among their peers.

A few sources like Parker are a work in progress. That's why I'm not at all ready to write Parker off. I'm willing to step back and quietly watch (and buy those models that seem to have promise). Parker's 2010 revision of DE heads is a case in point.

Now that I know about the 99R, I'll go find one. Right now I'm moving back and forth between a Mergress and a re-plated Long Comb NEW with a Bull Mastiff handle from Bob Smith. That's a stretch in head technology from the 1930s to the modern day. Both are excellent in their own way. Parker appeals to a different market. Time will tell how things turn out.

Doug

I've got one coming. Let you know my thoughts a few days after getting which I hope will be mid week. But it is gorgeous.

Got my 99R a few weeks ago- shaves a lot like a Merkur 38C, fit and finish are fine for the price. The "barber pole" knurling seems easier to grip than on the Merkur. If you like a larger, moderate razor, this one is for you:thumbup1:

After a few glitches, I have a good 99r and shaved with it today. It's a large razor and feels pretty good in hand. It shaves very nicely, I got a DFS+ shave in 2 passes today.

Need to use it a few more times to be sure of how I feel, but the initial impression is that this one's a winner. Very nice indeed.

BTW, Howie at SuperSafeyRazors is a great vendor. I recommend him to all.

S

suprman71

I bought the parker 99r and must say it is a beautifully crafted razor and has a hefty weight to it. It is very agressive and i ended up the first time shaving with it with a couple of cuts but thats my fault, first pass was flawless but second go-round wasn't. Each razor has a different personality and i'm sure its just a case of getting use to the razor and also the shark blades. Hope this helps. Overall excellent razor for the money.

I will add what little I can. The Parker 99R is the only modern (new) DE razor that I have. All of my others are vintage Gillette’s. I am particularly partial to my Aristocrats – of several varieties.

I really like the heft and length of the 99R, but I find it’s a bit slippery to grip. The finish is beautiful - polished to a gleam.

The butterfly doors don’t seem to operate quite as smoothly as my Gillette’s although they keep the blade nice and tight just like they are supposed to.

Overall, the Parker 99R shaves well enough and I figure that’s what we get them for.

For the moola it’s definitely a keeper.

Just my 2¢

Just got a Parker 99R too, its ok actually. Not unlike shaving with a Gillette super speed. Nice finish and quality for a razor made in India.

My only experience with Parker razors has been the 90R. Didn't care for it. Felt/sounded like cheap hallow metal while cutting. I'd be interested in trying their newer razors soon.

Just sold my 94R. A great razor but I wasn't using it. The fit and finnish were very good and the head shape was very Muhle. A good aggressive shave. The right price aswell.

I have the 96R and the 60R, which have the same head as most of the butterfly models, just different handle as far as I can tell.

I absolutely love the 96R, the black handle provides a great grip, while the 60R's handle is very shiny and detailed.

My 96R is my go-to razor, and looks very similar to the Gillette slim black beauty.

I have no appeal for 2-3 piece razor and prefer the simplicity of the butterfly doors.

I do like barber pole handles, kind of classy looking. My go to shaver is the Merkur 12C but this new Parker 99R intrigued me. Its definitely on the milder side for shaving but provides a perfectly acceptable 3 pass shave. Just by looking at it I could tell it was going to be a mild shaver so I loaded it with a Feather blade to maximise getting a close shave. I don't normally think of Indian razors as being much good in the build and quality department but this one is really nice so its changed my opinion of the Parker brand. I still see Merkur as King and of the dozen or two vintage straights and safety razors I've used in the past I like those old Gillette's and Thiers-Issards/Dovo's.

The reason why we give more marks to parker is because we compare DE Razor with Disposable razor and find that the shave is superior.

Parker when compared to its competition i.e Merkur does not meet the standards Merkur does. My favorite in the list of Merkur Razors is Merkur Futur with Feather Blades.

The reason why we give more marks to parker is because we compare DE Razor with Disposable razor and find that the shave is superior.

Parker when compared to its competition i.e Merkur does not meet the standards Merkur does. My favorite in the list of Merkur Razors is Merkur Futur with Feather Blades.

I'll admit that I haven't purchased, nor have interest in getting a Merkur, after seeing some models in a store and finding them not to my liking.

As I already stated, I don't like multiple pieces razors as they involve pieces to deal with, a chance that parts can get damaged, dropped, require more dexterity in handling the blade or should I say more risk to cutting yourself on it than with a butterfly type, and also if adjusting the blade correctly if needed.

I find the Merkur to look too "polished/glazed" (?), as in it simply looks too fancy and I guess I prefer the older type look with the chrome or gold finish. They look like they are trying to hard to look "futuristic".

Another reason I prefer the butterfly is that I can simply open the doors, tilt the blade to let it dry properly and on my next time in the bathroom, simply drop the blade and close the razor without any fuss at all, nor having to have pieces left around, the razor with the doors opened goes in my stand and be out of the way.

As far as quality goes, I'd like to know where you see the standards differing. My two Parkers are quite accurate, have a very solid feel and built to them and I honestly can't even think where they'd need improvement.

I understand a difference in preference, but to state a difference in quality? What Parker razors do you have?

Last edited:
I have both the Parker 22R and the 99R along with a 1964 SS and an EJ DE89BL in my rotation. The 99R is longer and heavier than any of the other razors in my collection, and after a handful of uses find it to be a good shaver. I use it with Astra SP blades and find the first pass to be quite smooth, so much so that I can usually go WTG and ATG with a bit of buffing and get a nearly BBS shave. This razor to me feels a bit more aggressive than my other razors, I'm assuming because of the heft of the razor and not necessarily a designed feature. The chroming is stunning and the razor is not lacking in detail in any way. Grip is quite good and it feels really good in my hands. For the price, this razor is not a bad addition to a collection.

My favorite in the list of Merkur Razors is Merkur Futur with Feather Blades.

The Parker 99R of course can not be compared with the Thuggery of its Teutonic cousin the Merkur Futur as this is a completely different animal and with a feather blade (!) one can only pray that the gods do not demand a blood offering. My hat to you sir.

Hi.. recently I was at the store and had a chance to get a close look at a couple of the Parker 3 piec TTO models. The store keep was even kind enough to actually let me test load them with blades. Well I found out first hand why the Parkers don't seem to get much love around here...

Hi.. recently I was at the store and had a chance to get a close look at a couple of the Parker 3 piec TTO models. The store keep was even kind enough to actually let me test load them with blades. Well I found out first hand why the Parkers don't seem to get much love around here...

Care to elaborate???

Care to elaborate???
Why not.. The razor looks fine and feels good in the hand. This shaver has a completely brass core even the head I'm told.. something perhaps unique to the Parkers. I really wanted to like the razor and I know a lot of folks do, but when the handle was tightened the threading action felt rough to me.. think I even heard a squeak. The blade ground over to an awkward bend under the cap and regardless of endless fiddling, seemed to defy a proper alignment. Had a similar experience from a TTO.. 22r I believe. This technology is not new nor is it rocket science and with just I bit more effort on the part of the manufacturer, this razor could be one of the great ones.. pity. At about the same price as an Edwin.. well ...

Top Bottom