What's new

Newbie Check-in to start with Gillette SS

Hello all, I have been an electric and sometime disposable shaver user for many years. I have read up on DE shaving and became quite intrigued. I bought a 1958 Gillette SuperSpeed on eBay for $10 and expect arrival by the end of the week. It comes with one new Crown blade and my questions are:

1.How aggressive is this blade?
2.What should I use to sterilize the razor?

I do plan on buying a sampler when I order my brush and soap, but will be trying out the razor with the can of Edge cream that is still in my medicine cabinet!:001_smile

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hello all, I have been an electric and sometime disposable shaver user for many years. I have read up on DE shaving and became quite intrigued. I bought a 1958 Gillette SuperSpeed on eBay for $10 and expect arrival by the end of the week. It comes with one new Crown blade and my questions are:

1.How aggressive is this blade?
2.What should I use to sterilize the razor?

I do plan on buying a sampler when I order my brush and soap, but will be trying out the razor with the can of Edge cream that is still in my medicine cabinet!:001_smile

Welcome to B&B, glad you found us.
I'd hold off on using the DE with canned shaving product. Your actually better off using a cart or disposable with soap and a brush than you are with a DE or SE and canned stuff.
Don't know anything about Crown blades, but I don't recall ever seeing one on any of the current vendors sales list. The Review that Luc pointed out is not very encouraging.
I know you are anxious to start, but you've waited this long, so whats a few days more till you get a good blade pack and a brush and soap so you start off right and don't tear yourself up with substandard stuff.
Cleaning the razor can be done by soaking it in Scrubbing Bubbles or Comet Liquid Bathroom Cleaner (NOT the powder cleanser) and then just washing it with soap and water and giving it a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush.
Don't be shy about asking questions and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
Like the others, I have not heard of Crown blades. I am using a superspeed with Astra platinums, Israeli red pack personnas and crystal + blades. All give great results. The Astra requires the most respect, and the red packs and crystals are perfect for a multipass BBS shave as they are milder. Hope this helps.

I've got a '54 SS and I've tried Merkurs and Crystals. I think the Crystal gives a better, closer, smoother shave. However, I've just ordered a big blade sampler from Bullgoose, so I look forward to the experimentation phase. :001_smile

Thanks for all the info, will take the advice to wait for the rest of my kit. Could anyone recommend an economy brush? I want to get badger, though it will not be a silvertip (at least not for a while...)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for all the info, will take the advice to wait for the rest of my kit. Could anyone recommend an economy brush? I want to get badger, though it will not be a silvertip (at least not for a while...)

You can get a Shea Moisture Shave black badger Brush at Target for about 9 dollars or a Tweezerman badger brush on Amazon for about 15 or so.
They are both very serviceable first badger brushes and do quite well for the money.

OK, so I went to Target and found the Shea Moistuizer brush and cream that some have talked about on this forum. Using the Crown blade that came with the '58 SS, I attempted my first DE shave EVER. So now let me tell you what you already know: Why would anyone ever use anything other than a DE (or a straight razor for those who have mastered the old cut-throat)! So much better on the skin than cartridge razors, far greater control! I went conservatively and didn't get BBS, but I also have no razor burn and not one single nick! The Shea Moisturizer cream does not smell all that great, but it lubricates well. Unfortunately that was all I could find locally so I will be ordering a few others online real soon. Glad I discovered DE shaving, only wish I could have been taught by dear old dad (he wore a beard from 1973 till he passed away in '04). He had DE razors in the bathroom drawer but I never saw him use 'em. Guess it's up to me to teach my sons the right way to shave!

Welcome! I'm relatively new myself, and recently picked up a '59 SS. I had been using a Merkur 23c for a few months, but am finding that I like the SS significantly better.

Gotta love how they're 50+ years old and still kick the butt of almost anything out there -- so much for modern "improvements"!

Top Bottom