What's new

Penhaligon Scents designed for Different Seasons

Hi Gents (and ladies),

I love the scents of Penhaligon's :thumbup1: (I have Blenheim Bouquet, Endymion, Opus 1870, Racquets, and Quercus)...but does anyone know if their various scents are designed to go best at certain times of the year or best suited for different seasons?

if so, what goes when? Opinions highly appreciated

Cheers,
Robert

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't know if they are "designed" that way, but I'd peg Opus 1870 as a "cooler half of the year" scent and Hammam Bouquet as "winter". Otherwise, I'd say they are not so much for this season or that season, but for whenever you really want to smell ... just ... that ... good.

Hi Ian,
I don't know about the Hammam Bouquet, but I think you may be onto something with the Opus. I must say that concomitant with posting this question, I did email Penhaligon about this. I am awaiting a reply, hopefully soon...don;t know what their response rate is!

Will keep those interested posted once I find out.

Thanks for your input :thumbup1:

Cheers,
Robert

I don't know if they are "designed" that way, but I'd peg Opus 1870 as a "cooler half of the year" scent and Hammam Bouquet as "winter". Otherwise, I'd say they are not so much for this season or that season, but for whenever you really want to smell ... just ... that ... good.

I personally will wear Endymion in the summer, but I prefer to wear it at night when going out. I do not think I could wear it in the middle of the day.

English Fern is good to go I think for all times of the year. I prefer it in the spring and summer though.

Quercus is an AWESOME year round scent. Be careful because it really projects in the summer time.

Opus is for me a cooler month scent.

Racquets is for me a more spring/summer scent.

Blenheim can be any time you need, just dress well.:thumbup1:

Hi Tricky
Great info...thanks :thumbup1:

I like Quercus...In fact I just received the Quercus, Blenheim Bouquet and the Racquets at work, ~1/2 hr ago. Good smelling stuff :thumbup:.

Cheers,
Robert

I personally will wear Endymion in the summer, but I prefer to wear it at night when going out. I do not think I could wear it in the middle of the day.

English Fern is good to go I think for all times of the year. I prefer it in the spring and summer though.

Quercus is an AWESOME year round scent. Be careful because it really projects in the summer time.

Opus is for me a cooler month scent.

Racquets is for me a more spring/summer scent.

Blenheim can be any time you need, just dress well.:thumbup1:

Hi folks
After a quick email with the same question posed to Penhaligon's, here's the response that I received from them (Verbatim):

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email. Looking at the scents you already own, I would categorise them like this;

Racquets – warm/summer
Blenheim Bouquet – warm/summer
Quercus – warm/summer
Opus 1870 – cold/winter
Endymion – cold/winter

As for the rest of our men’s collection, I would say that;

Castile – warm
Douro – warm
Eau de cologne – warm
Elixir – cold
English fern – could be both
Hammam bouquet – cold
LP no.9 for men – cold

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards
Penhaligons by Request

Ian(Doc4), Rob (The Knize):
your predictions were right on the money :thumbup:

Tricky:
You were almost right with most...but, I do agree with your assessment :thumbup1:

Thank you guys.

Cheers,
Robert

Interesting. Thanks for reporting back. I only made as seasonal statement about Castile and I said I did not consider HB specific to a season. I can provide some commentary on some of the scents based on Pen's notes (I am surprised that Pens would actually provide that kind of a list):

EF is easily all year because is evergreeny/fougere. It seems outdoorsy, so warmer weather when we are outdoors more, but the same smells are typicial of the winter holiday, too, and skiing and things like that.

Pens seems determined that Douro/Lords is a summer scent. For one thing they call it an eau de Portugal, when it is not like any other EdP I know of! I really think Douro work in any season. If someone wants to imagine it as like say a bay rum then, I suppose it can me more summery!

I just do not see BB as season specific. I think it is a formal aloof scent good for any season. It has lemon, sure, which is more summery in theory, but is also has Opus' pepper and Pen's itself calls Opus cold weather, and it has pine, which is like EF, which Pens says is all year round!

I know folks I very much respect around here think of Elixir as cold weather, but I do not so much, and I think Pens is saying that Elixir is cold weather because they say that HB is, and is Elixir is supposed to be something of a modern take on HB!

Opus as winter is okay, I suppose. Woody and peppery. I suppose nothing calls out as summer in it. I think it is pretty darn versitile though.

I do not get LP No. 9 at all, so whatever Pens says.

Endymion is vanilla and powder to me, so I suppose cold weather is as good as any.

I think Pens wants Racquets to be its sporty scent, so tennis, so summer, so outside. I think it is really more barbershop, so year round!

Quercus as warm weather. Fine by me. It mostly seems innocous to me. I guess it reminds me style-wise of Racquets, so makes sense that Pens would say they are for the same seasons.

I think that the list mostly shows just how arbitrary these divisions into seasons can be! Very fun thread. Thanks again for sharing!

Here's another reply from Penhaligon (their New York Office)

[FONT=&quot]Hello Robert,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your inquiry. We are happy to see you have such an array of our Penhaligon’s fragrances![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are definitely certain fragrances that wear better in a particular season or climate, however, it is always up to the discretion of the wearer as to what ultimately will be sprayed at the end of the day, so to speak.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Usually citrus or aromatic scents and more singular notes fair better in the heat and moisture, as more full bodied aromas can become cloying and overwhelming. Conversely, the more spice a fragrance has the better for giving a feeling of warmth and powdery scents feel very cozy in the chill of winter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From the list you have given above, I would say, your fragrances actually fall in the milder category and would fair well in all seasons! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Endymion might be a better choice for the transition between fall and winter; Blenheim Bouquet for winter to spring.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For a very summery scent try our Eau de Cologne, a bright and refreshing rendition of a classic cologne. I personally love for English Fern and LP#9 for men is very soft and cozy for the fall and deep winter months, respectively. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope this helps a bit- but keep in mind, you do know a few things about perfume! You’ve already chosen a great selection of scents- wear them whenever the mood strikes you![/FONT]

Best,
Celene Aguilar
National Brand Manager
L'Artisan Parfumeur/Penhaligon's Ltd.

Well...it confirms the previous email I had received and what some of you had predicted.

But again...wear what you feel like, when you feel like.:thumbup1:

I have a fair amount of Hammam in the cupboard. I received a large bottle years ago as a gift, and my wife is so-so on the heavy rose-and-powder scent it has on my skin. I would put it in the winter catagory personally, along with Endymion and LP # 9.

I use Blenheim, Limes, Raquets, Verviene and Quercus in the summer months myself.

Classic scents, rich and well-developed,

Chris

Hi folks
After a quick email with the same question posed to Penhaligon's, here's the response that I received from them (Verbatim):

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email. Looking at the scents you already own, I would categorise them like this;

Racquets – warm/summer
Blenheim Bouquet – warm/summer
Quercus – warm/summer
Opus 1870 – cold/winter
Endymion – cold/winter

As for the rest of our men’s collection, I would say that;

Castile – warm
Douro – warm
Eau de cologne – warm
Elixir – cold
English fern – could be both
Hammam bouquet – cold
LP no.9 for men – cold

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards
Penhaligons by Request

Ian(Doc4), Rob (The Knize):
your predictions were right on the money :thumbup:

Tricky:
You were almost right with most...but, I do agree with your assessment :thumbup1:

Thank you guys.

Cheers,
Robert

Based on the ones I've tried, that's pretty accurate. I definitely agree that Hammam and Elixir are better in colder weather, particularly Elixir.

I actually think Douro has more year-round appeal than other citrusy scents, and I'm not sure I'd classify it as a warm weather scent.

What a great re-birth of an old thread!!

$pens stack 2.jpg

Top Bottom