What's new

At long last, a worthy antique store find!

My lovely wife has taken up the cause, and ever since father's day, has been on the lookout for razors at antique stores. On the way back into town yesterday, she found, called, and convinced me to stop at an antique store. I found not one, but two nice finds - A new improved (I think) Big Fellow, and a 51 Aristocrat. The aristocrat is in great shape, and the big fellow is also very good (considering it's age) and has cleaned up nicely!

Here's a few pics before of the big fellow before cleaning:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And after:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks to my wife, and... whoever it was that posted on the baking soda/boiling water cleaning trick.

Yes, That is sweet. Congratulations. :thumbup:

Great job to the wife. :thumbup: Have you given her a finders fee. :001_huh:

If I repaid my wife for all the great things she does, I'd go broke!

is it obvious that I think she's reading this thread? :lol:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats on the finds and a huge round of applause for your wife. I love the case that your razor is in.

Color me jealous. I've been on the hunt for a Big Fellow and always get outbid or find one worthy of an incinerator. Nice find. Mind telling what it cost you?

Color me jealous. I've been on the hunt for a Big Fellow and always get outbid or find one worthy of an incinerator. Nice find. Mind telling what it cost you?

$25 - just got lucky. Usually all I find are beat up techs with mismatched heads and cases - for $20.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats on the finds and a huge round of applause for your wife. I love the case that your razor is in.

Yeah, that's the original case as far as I can tell - it did come with the razor, just forgot to take "before" pics of the razor in the case.

Overall, it looks great - and I like the silver plating compared to my nickel plated gillettes (which, admittedly, could be shined up a bit)

I actually almost passed it by as it was just a wooden box - I'm used to looking for metal and plastic cases. The goods were also not organized in any way - just stuff all over the place.

I couldn't help myself, I decided to gently polish it - here are some pics:

before polishing (but after cleaning, as seen above)

proxy.php

And after polishing - same basic picture - you can now clearly see the camera

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful. What did you use to polish it?

Uhhh... Maas :blushing: - but I was very gentle. I think Maas is not recommended for silver, but didn't have anything else on hand.

One good thing about this razor, and presumably other silver plated gillettes of that era, is that the plating is very thick! The advertisements say triple plated and I believe it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom