What's new

Str8t Newbie Question for Strops

I read Joel "Guide" for str8t razor shaving. Very good and informative.

On strops, he basically said "Buy a Tony Miller" perhaps in a few more words.

Unfortunately, he is not making strops right now according to his website, so, are there any recommendations for strops and what are all the other options for? i.e. linen, canvas sides?

The leather side seems to be what you really want to do your stropping on correct?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I read Joel "Guide" for str8t razor shaving. Very good and informative.

On strops, he basically said "Buy a Tony Miller" perhaps in a few more words.

Unfortunately, he is not making strops right now according to his website, so, are there any recommendations for strops and what are all the other options for? i.e. linen, canvas sides?

The leather side seems to be what you really want to do your stropping on correct?

What you want to do is buy a practice strop, like the Filly from Ruprazor for 20 bucks.
Use it till you develop the skills necessary to avoid chopping up an expensive strop.
And believe me, you will chop it up.
In the meantime, start looking around for your long term expensive strop.

What you want to do is buy a practice strop, like the Filly from Ruprazor for 20 bucks.
Use it till you develop the skills necessary to avoid chopping up an expensive strop.
And believe me, you will chop it up.
In the meantime, start looking around for your long term expensive strop.

+1, then you can take a look at the Kanayama, the Hand Americans, the Custom strop makers like Ambrose, and then you'll also know what to look for in vintage strops on ebay or even how to make your own.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+2 on Phil's comment.

My first strop was the canvas/leather 1.75" wide strop. It works well, it's narrow but works well.

Hi,

If you don't mind buying from the UK, Mr Neil Miller (www.strop-shop.co.uk) makes superbs strops, both hanging and paddle.

I have quite a few (many!!) of his strops, and they really are first rate :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Hi,

If you don't mind buying from the UK, Mr Neil Miller (www.strop-shop.co.uk) makes superbs strops, both hanging and paddle.

I have quite a few (many!!) of his strops, and they really are first rate :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

What is it with "Millers" and making fine quality strops???? :laugh: I wonder if he's related to Tony.

It sound like you can never have just one strop, so sure, I'm open to some Engish Leather for my strop collection. I'll check them out.

I'm also looking pretty hard at one on the bay by starshavingsupplies which seems to get some pretty good reviews and is in the "starter pricing":thumbup:

I'm also looking pretty hard at one on the bay by starshavingsupplies which seems to get some pretty good reviews and is in the "starter pricing":thumbup:

I own the 3" wide version of the strop from StarShavingSupplies, and I am greatly enjoying using it.

It's nicely long, has a felt component, D handles, and a swivel to attach it. I have to believe that for the $5 difference in cost (for the 2.5" model, the 3" model costs more), it is superior to the Filly.

Nothing against the Filly, but it is really bare bones. The Filly is only 2" wide, has no linen component, and also doesn't have much in the way of handles, or mounting hardware.

I own the 3" wide version of the strop from StarShavingSupplies, and I am greatly enjoying using it.

It's nicely long, has a felt component, D handles, and a swivel to attach it. I have to believe that for the $5 difference in cost (for the 2.5" model, the 3" model costs more), it is superior to the Filly.

Nothing against the Filly, but it is really bare bones. The Filly is only 2" wide, has no linen component, and also doesn't have much in the way of handles, or mounting hardware.

+1 (but you already knew that) :001_smile

I recommend the Filly then graduate to the RupRazor Paladin. I love both my Paladins and can't see changing to a different strop. Also, Ken is fantastic to deal with.

I got a filly because i have all intentions of getting a "really nice" one was I get the whole stropping thing down...which i hope is soon. Bare bones yes but thats really all i need to start and only 20 bucks wasted if i do something totally idiotic and chop it up.

I'll stand out and be a voice of dissent... I would get a better quality modular strop (read replacement leather available). That way you get a good (I'd argue better) piece of leather as well as a linen component. The leather component isn't that much to replace because you will mess it up, and the learning curve will be easier. I've used the Filly, and would pass on it (especially for a beginner).

Now, I know a lot of guys disagree with that, and a lot of guys have started on that and had success. It's just not worth saving $20-$30 considering what you sacrifice, to me. Best of luck :thumbup1:

Top Bottom