What's new

pics of a Golden nib 18mm knot? and restore question

I'm looking into buying a silvertip 18mm knot from thegoldennib.com and I was wondering if anyone had pictures of this particular knot in full bloom from their own brush restorations?

Also

The brush I'm restoring is in pretty good shape. For getting out scratches I see that many of you used nail files to do so... is this really a safe method? On instinct I would think a scratch removing kit or sandpaper would be safer, but if it really works I would love saving some money. If sandpaper is ok, what coarseness would be recommended?

I used the 18mm Silver in a small Ever-Ready travel brush. No pics of it in full bloom just yet but it is a good little knot. I used to use the nail file method which worked really well when you use the progressive coarseness files, they have an even, a smooth, a buff and a shine, sometimes they have others as well. What I have found works really well now though is the polish pad kit that tony sells at TGN. $11.95 and you get 2 sets and they have 8 levels of coarseness.

Tonight I finished restoring an old nickle plated travel razor. I used the Golden Nib 1 x 18MM Best Badger Hair Knot (18-Best). It cost $14.95 plus $4.95 shipping. This is a great brush. Firm but soft where it should be. I used epoxy and hung the brush upside down to seal around the knot while the epoxy cured. Nice thing about the metal travel holders is all you have to do is use a heat gun to remove all old glue etc. Stuff reminds me of hot melt glue which would probably not be a bad glue to use.

Years ago I used to do fishing rod winding. Prior to putting the eyes on you used a glue manufactured by Pfluger (think that's spelled right). You heated it with a match and dripped it on the rod blank then heated the eye and set it to the rod. Then you wrapped the eye with thread and sealed it with marine varnish. The glue use in this type of old travel brush when heated smells like the old Pfluger glue.

This was my first restore and my first purchase from The Golden Nib. I will be buying from them again. Very nice people to deal with and very fast shipping.

The knot I used was recommended for travel brushes and it fit perfectly. Don't be intimidated by a restore. Just take your time and use common sense. You will be surprised how easy it is.

I didn't take a picture, but if you are interested, I will see what I can do.

Also, The Golden Nib has instructions posted on the website for restoring brushes.

One more thing. The Golden Nib recommends the following:

Care for your Shaving Brush

Brush is sterilized and should not be boiled.

Lather lightly without pressure, excessive pressure will break the hairs and cause shedding.

After use, rinse thoroughly and remove excess moisture, leave in open air to dry. NEVER enclose a damp brush.

Knots with extra hair may have some initial shedding, this is completely acceptable due to the denseness of the knot.

from left to right 18mm silvertip grade A, same knot for the second,the last one is a 2 band finest ,all from the golden nib, you can't go wrong with this ones.

dry :

full

and wet :

full

Last edited by a moderator:
proxy.php

This Grade A set low, so not a huge bloom. A very nice knot choice, but I now favor the 18mm finest over this one.

I use sandpapers from 400g up to 1000g to restore handles, followed by Wenol polishing compound.

Top Bottom