What's new

Replacing a Badger Knot

I'm not sure if that's the correct way of saying it but that's what I want to do.

Let me explain, my wife and I purchased a badger brush for her Dad 25+ years ago. When he passed away I took the brush to have something of his. For the 25+ years I knew him he always used Palmolive Red Tube Shaving Cream. What he did to his brush was trim down the center hairs to make a "bowl" where he would put a squeeze of cream and apply it to his face.

Well, over time that "bowl" has worn down almost to the base of the knot. The handle is perfect. I would like to insert a new knot. How can I safely remove the present know without damaging the handle?

Besides the The Golden Nib, where else can I purchase knots?

Thanks in advance

Mike

I have restored several brushes, and here is what I do:

First, use scissors to cut the knot down as low as you can.

Then, I use a carpet knife to shave it even closer

I then use my drill press with a forstner bit to drill out the base of the knot

Depending on the handle material, and whether or not it is hollow, I will usually add some weight with BB's, and fill that with epoxy. After that, I drill down to the appropriate loft height, and set my knot.

You can also get knots from a place called blankityblanks, but they are more expensive. I have used several of the golden nib knots, and have pretty much settled on the two band finests as my favorites, and others here on the forum would agree with me.

As a side note, what material is the handle made of? If you would like, you can buy a knot and send it and the handle to me and I would set it for you and send it back. I really enjoy doing these, and I know not everyone has access to the tools I do.

Oh, and a micrometer comes in really handy for determining knot size!

Phil,

So you prefer the Finest over the Silver Tip? Which 2 band, the fan shaped or regular? I don't have a drill press or know what a forstner bit is so I might just take you up on your offer. The handle is an acrylic (I think) it certainly isn't a bone, wood or horn. I'm not sure what the shape would be called. Would a photo help determine which knot to use?

Ian, I don't know if a 24mm will fit. I'm going to try and measure it. If he can find them, a friend has calipers. Why do you recommend this knot.

I was considering a Silver tip but that's not set in stone.

Thanks guys.

Mike

It's softer than the Grade A knots (not Quite as soft as the Vulfix Silvertip they carry) but denser. And since it's only 55mm loft at the base, it's impossible to set it too shallow and get a floppy brush (a problem a lot of people encounter with the other silvertips). Due to the short loft the bloom is somewhat restricted, giving you a knot that is the densest one they sell (again other than the Vulfix Silvertip) post bloom. And it costs less than $20, whereas the Vulfix Silvertip is more than $50.

If you can't fit a 24mm, the Finest are a bit more leaning towards best/pure (stiff and scrubby) while the Grade A lean a bit more towards Silvertip (less backbone (though still more than most Silvertip I've encountered), but softer). Both are great knots for the money.

A photo with a ruler resting near the base of the knot might.

Ian,

I was with you throughout the first paragraph but you lost me in the second. I cut out the knot and measured the handle opening with a ruler. It's definitely not a 24mm, I'd say for sure 22mm. Is that what I should measure or the base of the knot I removed?

So if that's the case do you suggest a 22mm Finest, Silvertip or Silvertip Grade A?

Phil, if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Mike

The opening is the best thing to measure. If it's 22mm and you don't want to expand it, I'd recommend you actually go for either a 20mm Extra stuffed Finest bulb, a 22mm Finest Fan, or a 22mm Grade A Silvertip.

It's your choice. If you want a bit more scrubby of a brush, the Finest is the better choice. If you want a bit softer brush, the Grade A is the better choice. I prefer the Grade A myself.

Ian & Phil,

Here are 2 photos of the handle.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Choosing the brush is harder than I thought. My current brush is a Parker 24mm Pure badger so it's at the bottom tier. Any of the others will be a step up. I'll post what I decide.

Let me know what you think about the handle.

Mike

Very cool looking. I have bought some vintages with the center hairs trimmed down like you describe in the OP. I wonder where that habit got picked up. Maybe some Cream distributor recommended it in an ad or something.

Ian,

I was just on the Golden Nib site picking out a brush and I was thinking about a 22mm bulb Finest Super for it. I think the shorter brush will look nicer in this handle.

Mike

Ian,

I was with you throughout the first paragraph but you lost me in the second. I cut out the knot and measured the handle opening with a ruler. It's definitely not a 24mm, I'd say for sure 22mm. Is that what I should measure or the base of the knot I removed?

So if that's the case do you suggest a 22mm Finest, Silvertip or Silvertip Grade A?

Phil, if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Mike

Mike:

Sorry I got sidetracked. You need to measure the inside diameter of the hole. If you are comfortable with your measurement of 22MM, the Finest 22 should fit. I usually get the extra stuffed, measured to the diameter of the hole, and have not had a problem setting one yet, and I don't like to widen openings, and have not had to yet.

Ian,

I was just on the Golden Nib site picking out a brush and I was thinking about a 22mm bulb Finest Super for it. I think the shorter brush will look nicer in this handle.

Mike

Another Ian here but....... :001_smile

If the hole is 22mm, then you want to go with a 20mm knot in any of the "extra" hair knots. The 20mm knot is the measurement at the holder and it quickly bulges to about 23-24mm. You'll have to widen the knot hole to fit the 22 ( which goes to about 23-24mm ) in.

In addition the Finest and the Super are two seperate grades of hair. The Super is marginally softer at the tips and softer bristle than the Finest.

I'd recommend the Finest as your first restore.

Both the 20mm fan and bulb Finest are 60mm( 20mm Finest Bulb Extra ) -62mm ( 22mm Finest Fan ) from holder to tip. You'll have to see how deep the current knot hole is on your brush to figure what loft you'll get. You may have to drill out the current shelf if you want a shorter loft.

See my wiki in my sig for some information that may be useful :001_smile

Last edited:
A friend just gave me an old Tweezerman brush where the nib was taken out. Who knows why but its a nice little wooden handle. I think it goes 13 or 14 mm across. What would anyone here recommend to place in there? I like a best badger (something soft) or fine. I have a Tweezerman brush and its very rough on the skin.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A friend just gave me an old Tweezerman brush where the nib was taken out. Who knows why but its a nice little wooden handle. I think it goes 13 or 14 mm across. What would anyone here recommend to place in there? I like a best badger (something soft) or fine. I have a Tweezerman brush and its very rough on the skin.

That's a small opening. The smallest knots I have are 16 mm knots, but supposedly there is also a 14 mm knot somewhere available, I think Blankity has them.

Thanks guys. I think it will be way cool to use it. It will have come full circle by then!

Mike

So I received EZMike's brush this week. Turns out it was a Century 1000 Pure Badger. He purchased it new in 1985. If anybody has any info about the Century Brush Company, and when they stopped making brushes, that would be great, cuz I think this may have been NOS back then. It's a really cool solid "rootbeer" sort of color, in a keyhole shape.

Thought I would show some pictures in progress, as I have had questions about "What's a forstner bit, how do you get the knots out" etc..., so I thought I would also show some pics of my tool setup. Unlike Fidgit's, this is definitely not a "kit to take to work" but it gets the job done and then some.

First, the scene of the crime, my drill press and Forstner bit. I used a 5/8 for this one, and then used an awl to pry of the little hunk that was left, and then used a dremel with a tiny wire wheel to finish out the hole:

Last edited:
Top Bottom