What's new

I couldn't help it......1920 Single Ring

I'm getting sucked in to this collectors thing. it was an impulse buy, but I've done some overtime this week so what the hey.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...764473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3206wt_913

Me personally, I think you did good. No cracks in the handle is always nice. But seeing who the seller is and recalling past reads on these threads about that seller, it wouldn't surprise me if someone pops in and says you paid too much. And most times, they are right. This seller does price 'em high - not to mention he never answers questions sent. But in the end, it's not what an item is worth, it's what an item is worth to YOU. I saw that auction and if I would have had the money, I would have bought it. So good on ya. You got a nice set. :thumbup1:

That is one purty single ring, congratulations. I have one just like it, serial number M541611 which also makes it a 1920 model. They not only look great, they also shave very, very well.

But seeing who the seller is and recalling past reads on these threads about that seller, it wouldn't surprise me if someone pops in and says you paid too much. And most times, they are right. This seller does price 'em high - not to mention he never answers questions sent.

he answered my question :001_smile

it was originally listed at $150, then he dropped it. of course I probably paid too much but I really don't care. I love 'buy now' auctions as I don't have to sweat it out. I'm happy just to grab this one.

They not only look great, they also shave very, very well.

that's good to hear! I'll definitely be using it. how aggressive is it compared to a Merkur HD?

it was originally listed at $150, then he dropped it. of course I probably paid too much but I really don't care. I love 'buy now' auctions as I don't have to sweat it out. I'm happy just to grab this one.

that's good to hear! I'll definitely be using it. how aggressive is it compared to a Merkur HD?

Can't help you on that as I don't own a Mekur HD. I can tell you when I use a DE it's usually a single ring or a ball end old type.

Given that it has the case, both blade boxes, and the instruction book, plus no cracks in the handle, I'd say that was a pretty fair price for a pretty complete set. That seller can be high, but occasionally he has some reasonable deals. As far as aggressiveness in comparison to the Merkur HD, I would say it is more "different" than aggressive. The main thing to remember is that these razors were designed for a different blade than we get modernly. It will work fine, just take your first shave slow and steady. I love the open comb shave, I just have a mole that is a little raised on my neck so I have pretty much given them all up. It gets cut too often.

came in the mail today! was a bit grotty so I got to work with the Shower Power, tooth brush and blue 'silver cleaning cloth'.

before:

proxy.php

after:

proxy.php

now it's time for a shave!! :w00t:

.....and what a shave! this was my first shave with an open comb so I knew it was going to be aggressive. I put in a Personna Red, it shaved like a dream. shaving ATG was a little intimidating, I could really feel/hear it cutting close. but aside from a couple of mild weepers (that were easily fixed with the styptic) it was a flawless shave. zero irritation.

wow.... don't tell me a razor that's 90 years old is going to be my go-to razor of choice :laugh:

.....and what a shave! this was my first shave with an open comb so I knew it was going to be aggressive. I put in a Personna Red, it shaved like a dream. shaving ATG was a little intimidating, I could really feel/hear it cutting close. but aside from a couple of mild weepers (that were easily fixed with the styptic) it was a flawless shave. zero irritation.

wow.... don't tell me a razor that's 90 years old is going to be my go-to razor of choice :laugh:

Nothing wrong with that! My 1910 Single Ring is one of my favorites to shave with and is right at home in the lineup next to a 1973 Super Adjustable and a 1946 Schick Injector. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom