What's new

First DE shave this morning.....

Sometimes you just gotta jump in and do it. Hell be damned.
Took it very easy and just did two WTG passes and a couple cleanups with the Sensor on my neck. Not BBS, but overall far less traumatic than I was expecting. Only two cuts, and one was a reopened cut from Saturday. The Merkur blade feels very good and smooth, even if I don't have the angle perfect at all times. I was extremely conscious of the 'negative pressure' and leisure guy's nitro glycerine analogy when gripping the razor but after awhile, I found myself choking up on the handle and holding it about midway with three fingers (still no pressure!). This seemed a very natural way to hold it but I don't know if it will give me problems down the road.
Thanks everybody for such helpful advice. I never would have gotten to this point without you. The adventure begins.

Sometimes you just gotta jump in and do it. Hell be damned.
Took it very easy and just did two WTG passes and a couple cleanups with the Sensor on my neck. Not BBS, but overall far less traumatic than I was expecting. Only two cuts, and one was a reopened cut from Saturday. The Merkur blade feels very good and smooth, even if I don't have the angle perfect at all times. I was extremely conscious of the 'negative pressure' and leisure guy's nitro glycerine analogy when gripping the razor but after awhile, I found myself choking up on the handle and holding it about midway with three fingers (still no pressure!). This seemed a very natural way to hold it but I don't know if it will give me problems down the road.
Thanks everybody for such helpful advice. I never would have gotten to this point without you. The adventure begins.

Take..Welcome to B&B. It appears you are well on your way to shaving nirvana. If you have not done so already I would take the time to order LetterK's Blade sampler pack. I think you will find much difference between the Merkur you are using and some of the other blades in the pack. Keep us updated on you progress.:taz:

Glad to hear it went well :thumbup:

I found myself getting a little too 'comfortable" with the middle grip and started pushing down too hard after a few days...went back to the 2-3 finger handle-bottom grip and noticed a return to improved shaves...just a thought if you notice things start getting "worse."

Also, I found that i got a ltitle overconfident at first and started doing too many passes too early...so my advice is keep it slow (like you're doing).

Keep us informed of your progress!

Looks like you are well on your way. Keep taking it slow. Also long as you use the DE razor and do clean with your sensor you will be fine. Its a great way to get alright shaves while you are still learning. :thumbup:

Very nice to hear :thumbup:
Hope you will go on with the DE and enjoy what most of us enjoy all the time:)

Sounds as though you're off to a very good start. As you get more practice, you'll not feel so tense during the shaves. What is needed is a kind of alert relaxation: relaxed, but paying close attention. It'll come, and your technique will keep getting better and better.

Very wise of you to get the blade sampler pack. You'll be surprised at the differences among the makes of blades.

Welcome.

I've found that if I want a close shave but don't want to have to worry about irritation doing one pass with the grain, followed by a pass across the grain, and then another pass across the grain but in the opposite direction gets me nearly BBS with zero irritation. Then I can save the ATG pass for days I want it shaved really close.

Holding the razor halfway up the handle is what i do to, you have to pay a little bit more attention to the pressure, but its easier for me to handle, since the razor seems like it wants to slip from my grasp if i hold it from the very end of the handle.

Top Bottom