What's new

Serrated, combo or plain edge

S

Sam

Zatx had a great deal on a Spyderco Salt and well, it was a serrated blade. I only open packages, cut twine, wires occasionally, boat rope in fiberglass, and do not hunt or fish. What edge does what and which is more practical for a newb like me, keeping in mind I have no sharpening tools or skills, at present.

Serrated blades are great for cutting through rope and tough materials. However, they are a pain to sharpen. You can send your knife to Spyderco for sharpening. I prefer plain edge knives and sharpen them myself.

Used to favor the combo's as they aren't any harder to sharpen is use a lansky or sharpmaker and they give you the best of both world's if they are well designed serrations. Have been getting mainly plain edges lately though, I just personally think they look better.

Used to favor the combo's as they aren't any harder to sharpen is use a lansky or sharpmaker and they give you the best of both world's if they are well designed serrations. Have been getting mainly plain edges lately though, I just personally think they look better.

+1 for looks. Do serrated edges really make that big of difference in cutting rope if comparing to an equally sharp plain edge?

-jim

If you're going to cut rope with a sawing action get serrated, if you push cut get plain edge. I prefer plain edge and keep it SHARP!

Dave

Top Bottom