What's new

Injector vs. DE razor question

So, one more stupid question:

I just won my first injector...I know the Schick + Personna blades it can use, but what about the Feather Professional that the Cobra over at Classic Shaving uses? Do those fit, are they worth it, etc.?

Like I needed another AD.....

The short story, no they don't work.

The long story: if you are super ingenious, and willing to risk cuts, it's possible to cut the blade down to the correct size, so it will fit an Injector. You would then have to sand off the rough edges. Next you would have to load your modified blade (carefully) into an empty Injector Cartridge.

I can't imagine most people would think this procedure would be worth it; not when the Schick blades provide wonderful shaves on their own.

More info about this found here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151705&highlight=feather+injector

Last edited:
Are there any other injector blades, besides ones made by Schick, that come with the key?

Well there are the Personna blades (sold under many in house brands, and also via Ted Pella) that come with the key, but the overall housing for these blades are quite wretched. It's an all plastic design, and the blade doesn't perfectly line up with the head of the razor. The blades can be injected, but it requires some playing around.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Michiganlover, the Personna Injector is just poorly made, and difficult to insert the blades. The schicks available on Drugstore.com are great blades, and not too expensive considering you get more shaves per blade than with a DE.

Well there are the Personna blades (sold under many in house brands, and also via Ted Pella) that come with the key, but the overall housing for these blades are quite wretched. It's an all plastic design, and the blade doesn't perfectly line up with the head of the razor. The blades can be injected, but it requires some playing around.

I got a 20 pack of the Personna (so I have a lot to go thru), but it lacks the key, so it makes the loading a pain. My first pack of injector blades were the Schick, and if I had known the Personna lacked the key, then I would have bought another pack of the Schick.

Have to agree with Michiganlover, the Personna Injector is just poorly made, and difficult to insert the blades. The schicks available on Drugstore.com are great blades, and not too expensive considering you get more shaves per blade than with a DE.

I didn't realize the injector blades lasted so long. If I had, I would have just bought more Schick's. Several of the grocery stores in this area sell them. One injector blade, of the Schick, lasts me over a week (as compared to the 2-3 days of the DE).

Thanks again fellas. Found one last pack of Schick Inj. blades at the grocery store gathering dust. Hopefully will get more soon.

I love my injectors. I have E, G, and Pal. The E and G feel like holding a Bic disposable. They feel cheap because of the light weight. They shave fantastically. Like said by others, it feels like cheating. They're the best headshavers, too.

Wow. Found this thread while searching for something completely different. It's been 4 months since I started the post...and I now have more than 20 injectors and seldom use anything else.

I have a Mergress XL, possibly the nicest DE I've ever used, and it just sits there while I delay the inevitable b/s/t, because when it's time to actually shave I always reach for an old Schick.

Until I tried them, I wouldn't have believed how close and long lasting an injector shave is.

If you haven't tried it, you really owe it to yourself to do so.

My very recent go with an injector was no fun at all. A B&B member loaned me a smart looking, if somewhat small, injector razor. I don't remember them being that small. I lacerated myself with it. My guess is that is not typical. I used these razors years back. I do not recall ever having problems.

For me, it is back to my comfortable DE existence.

Injectors are great! Third shave this morning with a Chinese Schick blade that shows no sign of slowing down. First day in an E2, second day in a G8 with the ribbed handle and today in a turqouise handle G5. It's already been moved to a PAL Injecto-matic for tomorrow morning. I'm going to stick with it until it's done for just to see how long it will last.

Everyone should try an injector.

Injectors are great! Third shave this morning with a Chinese Schick blade that shows no sign of slowing down. First day in an E2, second day in a G8 with the ribbed handle and today in a turqouise handle G5. It's already been moved to a PAL Injecto-matic for tomorrow morning. I'm going to stick with it until it's done for just to see how long it will last.

Everyone should try an injector.

How are you moving the blade around??

I think injectors are becoming the newest B&B fad! Fatboys, boar, Vintage OS and Yardley have all had their 15 minutes :lol:

The injectors shave great, at least mine does. Took a few shaves to get everything, but once I did, I won't be going back to DEs anytime soon.

How are you moving the blade around??

I put the key in, start a new blade just enough to move the one in the razor out far enough to grip it and just slide it out. Then I use a small jewelers screwdriver to push the blade back into the dispenser, reload the blade I'm using into the dispenser and load the next razor. With an E type I just open it up and take the blade out and reload it into the dispenser.

In writing it sounds more complicated than it really is. Just have to be careful not to drag the blade across the blade stops.

I put the key in, start a new blade just enough to move the one in the razor out far enough to grip it and just slide it out. Then I use a small jewelers screwdriver to push the blade back into the dispenser, reload the blade I'm using into the dispenser and load the next razor. With an E type I just open it up and take the blade out and reload it into the dispenser.

In writing it sounds more complicated than it really is. Just have to be careful not to drag the blade across the blade stops.

I thought it might be something like that. Thanks, but I'll stick to one blade in the injector at a time. :001_smile

One of my first razors 40 years ago was my grandfather's Schick injector . . . don't know exactly what model it was (G?) but I remember it did have the round "thingy" . . . lost it when I went in the service and started using a Trac II.

I remember it to be a smooth shave, and I used the Schick blades back then.

Last year, I tried finding another injector to replace my long-lost "gramps" razor. The first was a disaster, the second a PIF that shaved well, but wasn't the same. Along the way I picked up a couple others . . . those too were disappointing.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I picked up an L-type in a lot of razors I "won" on eBay. It cleaned up nice and felt good in my hand. I threw a new ASR blade in it (yes, had to jiggle the device to get it to align correctly) and away I went!! What an outstanding shave I got from it!!

It now has a special place in my regular line-up. It is my first choice for touch-ups and quick shaves. A one-pass trip across the ol' mug comes out quite nicely!! A two-pass shave doesn't match up to other razors, but for those one-pass events this one rocks the house!! Reasonably close, and absolutely no irritation!

SWMBO (bless her heart, I'm a lucky man) likes it best for shaving behind my ears and across the back of my neck . . . (God, I long for the old-time barbershop days . . .) and I have to agree . . . it's great!!

Yes, the plastic handle isn't as "classic" as the old Butterscotch Bakelite, or even the plastics from the '50s . . . but this is one razor that will have to be pried from my hands when I pass along someday . . .

I tried my Type E Injector for the first time today and have nothing but good things to say. It's one of the most (if not the most) aggressive models, but even with my sensitive skin it did a really good job.

I think I got a slightly-closer shave with it than I usually get with my DE89L + Feathers, and considering that was my first time ever using an Injector, I think that's pretty impressive.

It's significantly more expensive than a DE in terms of blade cost, but still nowhere near the current cartridge systems.

. . .It's significantly more expensive than a DE in terms of blade cost. . .

Maybe yes, maybe no. I can count on 7 shaves from the various Personna re-branded blades, like Pellas, and have gotten up to 10 from a modern Schick. So for me, cost per shave is not much greater than a DE.

On the other hand, I've seen others claim that they get only 3 or 4 shaves from the same kinds of injector blades, so you'll have to see how that works out for you.

Top Bottom